Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recruitment 2017

• 21-08-2016 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Well. How many of the regulars or lurkers are now waiting for a new campaign to start? I unfortunately failed the PCA stage and I'm now back in limbo land.

The JoinPSNI page initially said recruitment would be early September, but now says early next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

Im in the waiting room for the 1509 but i would still be applying in the next campaign also just incase..

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mkelly123

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Well. How many of the regulars or lurkers are now waiting for a new campaign to start? I unfortunately failed the PCA stage and I'm now back in limbo land.

The JoinPSNI page initially said recruitment would be early September, but now says early next year.

Did you fail in the 1509 campaign? I thought you get a second attempt after training? Sorry to here bdw.

In waiting room for the 1509 campaign at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Where does the time go? Onto our fourth campaign already :)

I'm doing my PCA soon but I'll still be applying. Sure what else would we be doing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Here we go again, maybe there'll be a bit more of a buzz on here now

Just reread this. When did it change from September to the new year? Does it mean they'll be exhausting current merit lists?

I sense a few FOI's heading their way lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Yep, up until a couple of days ago it said September, then I checked yesterday and it had changed. Part gutted, part pleased. I have a massive amount to do before any future PCAs if I get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Goonerdee how far were you off the pass mark for PCA? How challenging did you find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sydnor87

I was under the impression you got a second chance at your PCA.

I know a couple of guys from the last campaign who failed it and then passed at the second attempt.

Over the time. Both times. Climbing slowed me down.

sorry to hear that buddy, the experience can only serve you well for the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

I'll be applying again, with recruitment being as unpredictable as it is, I'd rather have a back up if 1509 goes belly up for one reason or another.

Just seen the ch
    Yep, up until a couple of days ago it said September, then I checked yesterday and it had changed. Part gutted, part pleased. I have a massive amount to do before any future PCAs if I get that far.
    Just seen that, seems strange.. wonder what there reason would be for postponing it for at least 6 months?

Unless they want to ensure 1509 merit list is fully exhausted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

If I haven't received my call by this new campaign opening, then I'll stick in an application just to be sure.

although I'm really hoping calls go out within the next few weeks.

Here's hoping everyone on 1509 still in gets a spot in hotel GV. Everyone deserves to be there who get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Bit disappointed to hear that it's been pushed back, although it does offer more hope to them reaching my barely scraped past AC score from this campaign. Determined to score higher in the next campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Bit disappointed to hear that it's been pushed back, although it does offer more hope to them reaching my barely scraped past AC score from this campaign. Determined to score higher in the next campaign

I was thinking the exact same thing, my scores low too

Something needs done. Not sure 50/50 is necessarily the way to go though.

At the end of the day a police force needs to be representative of the community it is serving, like homer said change is needed. What it is, i'm not sure, people who are paid more money than me will have to make that decision.

I completely disagree with the 50/50 process. I don't believe religion should have anything to do with the recruitment process, I actually hate having to put my religion down on an application form as it honestly makes no difference to who I am.

Being scored on your merit is exactly how it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

D4z wrote: »
    I completely disagree with the 50/50 process. I don't believe religion should have anything to do with the recruitment process, I actually hate having to put my religion down on an application form as it honestly makes no difference to who I am.

Being scored on your merit is exactly how it should be.

I completely agree, if I was to be ruled out of a job based on merit, I would accept it knowing the correct decision was fairly made however if I was ruled out of a job based on religion I would be fuming as it does not define who I am and would not affect my role in the job, sadly all they want is to meet the numbers and make them "look good"

So what can they do to encourage more women and Catholics to sign up?

I also think the concept of 50/50 is not a great idea. All based on an arbitrary label of Catholic or Protestant.

Realistically what is 'stopping' the minorities from applying? Fear of community reprisals, reputation within the PSNI (perceived, historical or otherwise)?

Homer01 wrote: »
    So what can they do to encourage more women and Catholics to sign up?

I also think the concept of 50/50 is not a great idea. All based on an arbitrary label of Catholic or Protestant.

Realistically what is 'stopping' the minorities from applying? Fear of community reprisals, reputation within the PSNI (perceived, historical or otherwise)?

I believe it is a mixture of everything. Personally I know a lot of my friends would never join the job as their families just wouldn't accept it. A lot of nationalists share the view that the PSNI has only had a name change to hide its past as majority of senior officers have history within the RUC.

Also the wage of the job is not great for the amount of abuse, the shift work and commitment required. You could get more working in a call center.

I could speculate on reasons for hours, the only way the police will get applications up is if they make the job more appealing increasing the money and decreasing the risk from Republicans.

In our special little country I do think we need representation from all communities. Especially to ensure 'buy in' from all communities.

Ultimately the type of people who want to kill/injure police couldn't give a monkeys whether you're Protestant, Catholic or a flippin' Jedi Knight.
    At the same time those that need help just want a competent, confident officer to assist them regardless of beliefs.

I'm in that 25% and didn't give it a second thought about applying. Although I'm not from a necessarily nationalist community. I do of course have views on past events from all sides including security forces but I'd rather be part of the solution for the future.

Couldn't have said it better myself Homer. Wholly agree with you.

In our special little country I do think we need representation from all communities. Especially to ensure 'buy in' from all communities.

Ultimately the type of people who want to kill/injure police couldn't give a monkeys whether you're Protestant, Catholic or a flippin' Jedi Knight.
    At the same time those that need help just want a competent, confident officer to assist them regardless of beliefs.

I'm in that 25% and didn't give it a second thought about applying. Although I'm not from a necessarily nationalist community. I do of course have views on past events from all sides including security forces but I'd rather be part of the solution for the future.

Im in that 25% aswell, didn't cross my mind twice about applying as its the job I have always wanted to do. I do live in an area of countryside that is known as being VERY Nationalist but "if" I got offered the position I will keep my head down and look for a new house. The house we are in I built 2 years ago, but you have to make sacrifices in this job to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

Well said sir.
    I'm in that bracket too.
    How can change be implemented without involvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 newfoundglory

I've just a wee question and wasn't sure where to post this.. I can't remember if I dreamt it or actually read it but is it true that if you're already in the recruitment process for PSNI you can't apply for any other UK force?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭didierdrogba

I've just a wee question and wasn't sure where to post this.. I can't remember if I dreamt it or actually read it but is it true that if you're already in the recruitment process for PSNI you can't apply for any other UK force?

Not aware of anything that precludes you from applying for another force, I can say for certain that if you apply to a force in England or Wales you can't apply for another in those parts of the UK, but I think maybe NI and Scotland fall under a separate remit. If anyone can say otherwise then I'll stand corrected

• Advertisement

Not aware of anything that precludes you from applying for another force, I can say for certain that if you apply to a force in England or Wales you can't apply for another in those parts of the UK, but I think maybe NI and Scotland fall under a separate remit. If anyone can say otherwise then I'll stand corrected

That sounds about right to me.

Advertisement