Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what games do you never seem to get around to playing?

Options
  • 06-09-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭

I got The Witcher and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines during a steam sale around last October. I told myself i'd only be on one RPG at a time so i put Bloodlines on the shelf until i finished the Witcher. Since then i'v gotten plenty more RPG's including 3 final fantasies, The Secret World and Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption. So my question is, what games do you have that you swear you'll get around to...someday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dark Souls. I've had the game for a couple of years and I keep meaning to play it. I've heard how difficult and frustrating it can be and that keeps me from installing it. I also know its a great game and then I feel bad for not giving it a go. It's an endless cycle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dark Souls. I've had the game for a couple of years and I keep meaning to play it. I've heard how difficult and frustrating it can be and that keeps me from installing it. I also know its a great game and then I feel bad for not giving it a go. It's an endless cycle.

It's not as hard or frustrating as the press and the advertising campaign make it out to be. Dark Souls is harsh but fair, you die it's your own fault and you learn from your mistakes. You could be playing for hours and make little progress... but you still made progress and that builds up over time. By the first boss you've usually gotten the hang of things and start making regular progress.

Also if you find it too tough Dark Souls has an easy mode built in, the multiplayer. There's no shame in summoning people for help. Also it's fun to offer yourself up to help, you can learn the levels while losing nothing if you die.

So there you, hope that's incentive enough for you. It's far and away the best franchise of games in the last decade (not called Persona :) )

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Spec Ops: The Line, just can't seem to get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I started it when it was released and I loved it. Final year college commitments took up my time and I never got to go back to it. I'm back playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which fit into the same category.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Notorious wrote: »
    Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch.

Don't bother. It's one of the worst JRPGs ever made. Looks and sounds amazing but that's due to the Ghibli involvement. Unfortunately that involvement ends there. The story is terrible and the battle system is a pain in the ass.

It's like they heard everyones unfounded complaints about the JRPG genre at the time and turned them all into a game. The reviews that rated that game high at the time should be ashamed considering how many better JRPGs get ignored or get a hard time. A game shouldn't get a pass for having nice visuals and a big name attached.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Alan Wake

I bought it over 3 years ago, Summer Sale 2013 for a mere €3.59 (Including American Nightmare) and I still haven't played it. Some day, some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Still sitting on FF7, bought it way back on PS1 and never played it. Then picked it up on steam and still haven't loaded it once. Not sure if its mental block on playing a final fantasy game again or that I keep getting distracted by other games instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bioshock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Dark Souls is my biggest shame. I'm promising myself I'm going to play it next as I'm almost finished Read Dead Redemption.

Oh and I'll add Persona 4 Golden to that list as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Picked up Dead Space when it was GwG, started it and was enjoying it. Then randomly picked up Pro Evo 2016 on the cheap a few months ago and that's literally all I've played up to last weekend when the Titanfall 2 beta was up. Since then all I've played is Titanfall 1 because I forgot how fun it was. . . .

. . . .but I will definitely play Dead Space again. . . .

. . . .oh and don't forget Sunset Overdrive :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I now have a list as long as my arm of games I havent gotten back around to, mainly because of my destiny addiction.

Witcher 3 tho is the one that got away :'(

Feck, you reminded me that I still need to play Witcher 3.

Should I play Dark Souls or Witcher 3 first though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Alien Isolation - I must have started it 3 or 4 times at this stage, and left it so long, I had to restart over each time. I enjoyed it but just got distracted.

Dark Souls I and II - Frustration. Just complete and utter frustration. I played I, got annoyed and left it. Thought II would be better, but nope! Same. I just don't have time to be frustrated.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - I just find it so boring. I think I've gotten 2-3 stages it, and tried to go through it again, but just cannot.

Civ V/Cities Skylines - Again, these fall into the time sink. I just don't have chances where I get 3-4 hours of gaming any more. I've started but I barely get through the mechanics and I have to drop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Kilboor wrote: »
    Dark Souls.

witcher 3 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

IvoryTower wrote: »
    witcher 3 :cool:

Need to pick that up... after my new pc ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

i would say only go for witcher if you know you can settle down to it for a few months tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

So many games.

Breath of Fire III
    Earthbound
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
    Final Fantasy XIII and sequels
    Grandia
    Hotel Dusk
    The Last Story
    The Legend of Zelda (Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, Windwaker, Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past)
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Nier
    Paper Mario
    Parasite Eve II
    Pikmin
    Resident Evil Revelations
    Secret of Mana
    Suikoden
    Suikoden II
    Super Mario RPG
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    Tales of Graces F
    Tales of Xillia
    Tales of Xillia 2
    Yakuza 3
    Yakuza 4
    Zack and Wiki

It makes it hard to choose what to play. Lucky for me Dragon Quest VII and Pokemon Moon are coming out, letting me ignore my backlog for a while more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have all the first 3 Uncharted games and the Nathan Drake Collection, can never hack more than an hour of the first game.

Xenji wrote: »
    I have all the first 3 Uncharted games and the Nathan Drake Collection, can never hack more than an hour of the first game.

The first game can be a bit monotonous. If you find it that bad just skip. This year I went through all 3 in the Nathan Drake Collection, I would rank them - 2, 3 and 1 from best to worst.

Looking forward to picking up Uncharted 4 on the cheap which reminds me that I have Rise of the Tomb Raider on my backlog so will play that first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The first game can be a bit monotonous. If you find it that bad just skip. This year I went through all 3 in the Nathan Drake Collection, I would rank them - 2, 3 and 1 from best to worst.

Looking forward to picking up Uncharted 4 on the cheap which reminds me that I have Rise of the Tomb Raider on my backlog so will play that first.

Might do that, as I loved TLOU, but just could never get into UC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bloodborne. To the point where I don't even know if I still own it. I may have traded it in. I genuinely can't remember. That's how long I've had it and not played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't bother. It's one of the worst JRPGs ever made.

What a shame. Cheers Rg! I've enough in my backlog, so it'll make my next choice a little easier.

Soooo...

I finished Read Dead Redemption and decided "f**k it" let's take the plunge and start Dark Souls Prepare To Die Edition on my Xbox One.

After taking my time and 47 minutes play-time I have defeated the first boss and made it to Lordran.

Defeating that demon was very satisfying, in fact even little things feels like an achievement
    getting the parry and riposte perfectly first time was great

This might be a good game after all... wish me luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Best of luck Super Sonic \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Soooo...

I finished Read Dead Redemption and decided "f**k it" let's take the plunge and start Dark Souls Prepare To Die Edition on my Xbox One.

After taking my time and 47 minutes play-time I have defeated the first boss and made it to Lordran.

Defeating that demon was very satisfying, in fact even little things feels like an achievement
    getting the parry and riposte perfectly first time was great

This might be a good game after all... wish me luck :D

I think you'll find its one of the best games ever!

I avoided buying it for years until it popped up free on games with gold, whilst it is tough, its more the fact that theres a bit of a steep initial difficulty curve, but its easy enough to level up to the point to where a lot of it enemies are no issue at all.

Bloody addicted already, had to pull myself away to get the dinner ready before the wife finishes her shift. It really is a "just one more go and I can get past that" sort of game.

For others that mentioned the Souls games definitely give them a crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Never finished Zelda II, but it's still on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Bloody addicted already, had to pull myself away to get the dinner ready before the wife finishes her shift. It really is a "just one more go and I can get past that" sort of game.

For others that mentioned the Souls games definitely give them a crack.

If you get stuck, drop into the dark souls thread on here. It's quiet for the most part, but anytime a post goes up, you'll have loads of replies back. Great bunch of lads keeping watch over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

chrislad wrote: »
    Alien Isolation - I must have started it 3 or 4 times at this stage, and left it so long, I had to restart over each time. I enjoyed it but just got distracted.
    I convinced myself I liked Alien Isolation until I realised that I was spending hours sitting in the dark, looking for a hidden air conditioning vent in the dark because I was sparing my torch batteries for some time in the future when they might be useful.

I'm too much of a hoarder to play these games

I wouldn't be the first to die if I was an Alien character, I'd be the one found starved to death in a cubbyhole surrounded by a 2 weeks supply of food and batteries.
    Civ V/Cities Skylines - Again, these fall into the time sink. I just don't have chances where I get 3-4 hours of gaming any more. I've started but I barely get through the mechanics and I have to drop out.

Games with overly complex control mechanics and hidden menus and button combos from the start that you need to remember are immediately put on the long finger for me.

Games that require exploring open worlds looking for herbs and other crafting nonsense can piss off too.

I'm not talking about games like Resident Evil, where you encounter the herbs along the way and you can choose how to use them, or games like Dead Space where you get points for upgrades and you can choose what to upgrade, I'm talking about Farcry 3.

I don't want to wander around a hill looking for a red flower so that I can harvest it, and 29 other red flowers so I can combine them with the bear pelt that I don't have to make a better kind of gun holster that cures aids or something.

Advertisement