Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dusseldorf offie and airport

Options
  • 23-08-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

heading to Dusseldorf next week for a few days.

Was there briefly previously so have a few brewery's / pubs in the plan to revisit, but last time I wasn't interested in off license, but this time I am, so wondering if anyone knows of a decent offie anywhere near Old Town or HBF station.

Also, last time in the airport on the way back, I just picked up some AltBeer, but this time i'm hoping to bring home some spirits, so wondering if anyone knows if there is a decent selection in particular hoping to pickup some Bourbon which might not be usually available in Ireland...or am I hoping for too much?

Also, while I'm asking, while I will probably stick with the Alt over there, if anyone knows of a place doing craft IPA's and the like, I could try and squeeze in a visit there :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

wondering if anyone knows of a decent offie anywhere near Old Town or HBF station.
    There's a few options on RateBeer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm due in Dusseldorf (for the 4th time) this November. Hausmann's has a few craft taps and there is a newish bottle shop as well although I've not been there.

Kürzer is the newest, "young" alt beer brewpub and I think is trying to bill itself as
    "craft alt beer" but I found their alt to be the worst of the lot.

Otherwise, I've found the bars in Dusseldorf haven't embraced craft beer just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

thanks guys...
    a few more places to add to list....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'm due in Dusseldorf (for the 4th time) this November. Hausmann's has a few craft taps and there is a newish bottle shop as well although I've not been there.

Kürzer is the newest, "young" alt beer brewpub and I think is trying to bill itself as
    "craft alt beer" but I found their alt to be the worst of the lot.

Otherwise, I've found the bars in Dusseldorf haven't embraced craft beer just yet.

Isn't Alt as craft as you'll get, whatever craft is. Surely fresh beer from the barrel in Uerige is better than out of date American hoppy "craft".

Garry123 wrote: »
    Isn't Alt as craft as you'll get, whatever craft is. Surely fresh beer from the barrel in Uerige is better than out of date American hoppy "craft".

I think this crowd want to differentiate themselves from the likes of Uerige, who I assume younger Germans would see as a more traditional brewery. I love Uerige personally but I can't imagine I'd want to spend a Friday night there if I was an 18 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I think this crowd want to differentiate themselves from the likes of Uerige, who I assume younger Germans would see as a more traditional brewery. I love Uerige personally but I can't imagine I'd want to spend a Friday night there if I was an 18 year old.

I'd disagree - when I lived there the place was banged out almost every night with punters of all ages. It is definitely worth a visit.

In the Altstadt there Zum Schlüssel on Bolkerstrasse is another local brewery with a bar (fairly lively too), & Brauerei Kürzer on Kurzestrasse (a new place that I've not been to).

Also worth checking out is the Schumacher Brewery on Oststrasse - not too far from the Hauptbahnhof.

For your bourbon - try Der Spirituosenladen on Kapuzinergasse.

Viel spass und prost!

I'd disagree - when I lived there the place was banged out almost every night with punters of all ages. It is definitely worth a visit.

It does get all ages but it's still not a young persons bar, which is what Kürzer is.

Just realised I messed my dates up and I'm in Dusseldorf next Wednesday with an 8 hour layover. :D

Schumacher would be one of my favourites there, the food is very good and the waiters good craic. Our last one was necking beers into him quicker us.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Schumacher would be one of my favourites there, the food is very good and the waiters good craic. Our last one was necking beers into him quicker us.

thanks guys for the info, didn't see some of it till now and am back :-(
    Tried to visit as many of the brew pubs as possible....

in rough order of the Alt...

1 - Schumacher, didn't have very long in the brewpub and as it was raining the beer garden wasn't an option. Alt was my fav, just something a little nicer about. Had food here also, nothing fancy, but perfect with beers. Might have had the same waiter, he was having a few sneaky drinks from a glass by the till and this was 12 on a Sun morning!

2 - Zum Schlüssel. Great beer, lots of outside space and huge inside, fav in the Altstadt. has shop beside it to pick up some souvenirs as well

3 - Frankenheim Alt...Didn't get to the brewpub, but had this in a few places and loved it. Was my fav when I was there 2 years ago, so this was the first beer I had this time, was wondering if my tastes had changed, maybe but this is still a cracking beer.

4 - Uerige. Stunning brewpub and great location Waiters were least favourite.

5 - Füchschen. another great brewpub and a great alt.

6 - Gatz....had this in a restaurant, decent beer, not sure if has a brewpub in Dusseldorf

7 - Schlösser Alt in “Zum Schiffchen" which I think brew it, least favorite of the Alt's I had on draft.

Had Diebels and Bolten in bottles, kinda hard to compare with draft, Diebels was fine, but couldn't even finish the Bolten.

most places were €2 for .2 or .25 liter, even on the Rhine promenade the price was decent. I paid €8.80 for a liter there.

about the bourbon, ended up picking up a .70 l bottle of PennyPacker in supermarket for €11. Fits of bill of something different for home bar :-)

In airport, picked up 1l of Jameson caskmates for €31 and bottle of Jim Beam Black 6yo for €21

Plans started for next visit :-)

Advertisement