Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Year Students 2016/2017

Options
  • 25-08-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Just made this so as to know what most people will be studying. I myself will be doing Science and the subjects I will be doing will most likely be Computer Science, Maths, Engineering Science and possibly Mathematical Physics.

Is there anyone else doing Science? Are you going into the course knowing what you want to do or are you completely open minded?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Simpson2

Samurai12 wrote: »
    Just made this so as to know what most people will be studying. I myself will be doing Science and the subjects I will be doing will most likely be Computer Science, Maths, Engineering Science and possibly Mathematical Physics.

Is there anyone else doing Science? Are you going into the course knowing what you want to do or are you completely open minded?

Hey there! I'm also doing science. I personally can't wait. I know I'm definitely going to choose computer science and chemistry; computer science most likely up to degree level. As for my third, I'm unsure. It's between experimental physics and mathematical physics. I'm sure they're both good anyways.

Anyways I'll be seeing you around then!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I am doing Biotechnology so idk if we are in the same orientation group

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

onlinenerd wrote: »
    I am doing Biotechnology so idk if we are in the same orientation group
    For Biotechnology you are in the same day as the Science students but not in the same group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Governess

Hi guys, I'm starting MH201 as well. I was accepted last year but deferred my place to this year, I'm also a mature student.

Opting for biology, chemistry but still unsure about the last subject.

Governess wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm starting MH201 as well. I was accepted last year bay deferred my place to this year, I'm also a mature student.

I'm so excited for this course! I guess I'll be seeing you at orientation and in chemistry then!

• Advertisement

Simpson2 wrote: »
    I'm so excited for this course! I guess I'll be seeing you at orientation and in chemistry then!

I can't wait to get stuck in now! Have you just done your leaving?

I can't wait to get stuck in now! Have you just done your leaving?

I have yes. It was stressful to say the least. The joy of not having to do French and history anymore is palpable for me personally.
    I've kept my phys, chem and maths books in case I need to re-learn the basics :-)

I really can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TudorIce12

Like I said in the other thread, I will be doing Mathematics, Computer Science and Mathematical Physics. The last subject I will be doing is between Chemistry and Experimental Physics. I liked chemistry to an extent in the leaving cert and I found some parts of it relatively enjoyable but only got a C1 and that was my disappointing grade. I liked physics as well but I always preferred the mathematical side. I got an A2 in physics and a B1 in Applied Maths. I got 490 altogether so I was also 5 points off Computational thinking, my second choice

TudorIce12 wrote: »
    Like I said in the other thread, I will be doing Mathematics, Computer Science and Mathematical Physics. The last subject I will be doing is between Chemistry and Experimental Physics. I liked chemistry to an extent in the leaving cert and I found some parts of it relatively enjoyable but only got a C1 and that was my disappointing grade. I liked physics as well but I always preferred the mathematical side. I got an A2 in physics and a B1 in Applied Maths. I got 490 altogether so I was also 5 points off Computational thinking, my second choice

Yeah I got a B1 in applied maths and physics but a C2 in chemistry, I was gutted. But sure its over now and at least I still get to do a course similar to what I originally wanted. I can't wait though, it is going to be amazing. Seems like we will be in mostly the same subjects :D

Yeah I got a B1 in applied maths and physics but a C2 in chemistry, I was gutted. But sure its over now and at least I still get to do a course similar to what I originally wanted. I can't wait though, it is going to be amazing. Seems like we will be in mostly the same subjects :D
    TudorIce12 wrote: »

I'll be definitely doing computer science+maths and chemistry but I can't decide between mathematical physics and experimental physics.

• Advertisement

I'll be definitely doing computer science+maths and chemistry but I can't decide between mathematical physics and experimental physics.

Yeah I guess we would just have to wait to see what the courses when we get to go to different lectures. I will most likely be taking maths and computer to the degree level. But things could change for me. What about you guys?

Yeah I guess we would just have to wait to see what the courses when we get to go to different lectures. I will most likely be taking maths and computer to the degree level. But things could change for me. What about you guys?

Yeah its hard to pick, especially when you don't know what they fully entail. I would most likely be taking Maths and Computer Science or Maths and Mathematical Physics to the degree level but I still want to know what the other subjects are like. But even if I pick one then I end up not liking in the future, I can just drop it after 2nd year.

Definitely taking comp.sci+maths up to degree level. If I end up doing (exp/math)physics together with chemistry, it'll be difficult for me to decide which to drop in second year because I loved the two subjects equally in LC despite me not getting the A which I was aiming for in both of them. However the LC is now in the past and second year is well into the future so for now I'm just really looking forward to first year :)

Definitely taking comp.sci+maths up to degree level. If I end up doing (exp/math)physics together with chemistry, it'll be difficult for me to decide which to drop in second year because I loved the two subjects equally in LC despite me not getting the A which I was aiming for in both of them. However the LC is now in the past and second year is well into the future so for now I'm just really looking forward to first year :)

Seems like we will all end up in the same course haha. But for now, the 2 and a half weeks until college starts will just be pure agony. I just want it to start already.

Yeah I feel the same way, just can't wait for it to start

Seems like we will all end up in the same course haha. But for now, the 2 and a half weeks until college starts will just be pure agony. I just want it to start already.

Was about to say. Buzzing to start the degree already! Looking forward to joining some of the clubs and socs too.

Was about to say. Buzzing to start the degree already! Looking forward to joining some of the clubs and socs too.

Yeah all the Clubs and Socs look grand but they didn't have a Film or Computers club in the Student guide. I truly hope they have both of those.

Yeah all the Clubs and Socs look grand but they didn't have a Film or Computers club in the Student guide. I truly hope they have both of those.

Not sure about the Film society but there is indeed a computer science society - it's called Minds. It's under the Social & Games section I think. I might definitely give it a go.

Not sure about the Film society but there is indeed a computer science society - it's called Minds. It's under the Social & Games section I think. I might definitely give it a go.

Oh that's grand then but I truly hope they have a film society. What is the deal with the Critical Skills thing?

Yeah I looked at the critical skills and it didn't look overly interesting to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Ah to be a first year again. You have no idea how wonderful a time you are going to have. Enjoy it folks. The 4 years will disappear in a flash!!

TheBody wrote: »
    Ah to be a first year again. You have no idea how wonderful a time you are going to have. Enjoy it folks. The 4 years will disappear in a flash!!

After the stress of the LC I'm definitely looking forward to uni. It'll be a big but interesting change to say the least.
    Yeah I looked at the critical skills and it didn't look overly interesting to me

Didn't peak my interest either. Though maybe my critical thinking skills and such could be polished.. No idea what to do.

TheBody wrote: »
    I will enjoy it as much as I can, before I have to go into the real working world.
    After the stress of the LC I'm definitely looking forward to uni. It'll be a big but interesting change to say the least.

Didn't peak my interest either. Though maybe my critical thinking skills and such could be polished.. No idea what to do.
    Yeah maybe it might be useful, I will just have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AMcNeill

Hi guys, I'm starting MH201 as well. I was accepted last year but deferred my place to this year, I'm also a mature student.

Deadly, I'm doing the same. Guess I'll see you there! These two weeks can't come quick enough!

AMcNeill wrote: »
    Deadly, I'm doing the same. Guess I'll see you there! These two weeks can't come quick enough!

I'm in for Mature Student Orientation on the 5th and 6th of Sept so that breaks up the long wait for me!

I'm thinking experimental physics as my final option, I hope to have biology and/chemistry in my final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ismiselaurie

Anybody doing arts- more specifically Irish or Music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DaniiH15

Anybody doing arts- more specifically Irish or Music?

Music 👌ðŸ¾

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ismiselaurie

DaniiH15 wrote: »
    Music 👌ðŸ¾

You taking one on one tuition or group piano? :D

Advertisement