Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Continues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I am enjoying this, but the guy playing Sulu is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Praetorian wrote: »
    I am enjoying this, but the guy playing Sulu is dreadful.

And the guy who plays Kirk is an asshole. He's known for hitting on girls at anime cons who cosplay anime characters he's voiced

He was at Eirkaton a couple of years back and one of the stipulations of him attending was that the con had to put his religious leaflets into the con bag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Episode 3: Fairest Of Them All

In the Mirror Universe, Spock faces a choice that determines the future of the Terran Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2ovQtI6w
    http://vimeo.com/98076892

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/star-trek-continues-episode-3-fairest-of-them-all/

Loved it, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Goodshape wrote: »
    Episode 3: Fairest Of Them All

In the Mirror Universe, Spock faces a choice that determines the future of the Terran Empire.

Loved it, again.

That was actually very cool!

The original "Mirror, Mirror" is probably my favourite episode of TOS but I thought the direction they took it in in DS9 was a disappointment - the Diane Duane "Dark Mirror" novel and the ENT "In a Mirror Darkly" and the spin-off books were far better IMO.

But this was an excellent sequel to that original episode (nice touch re-enacting the last scene of the original episode at the start too!) and Kirk really reminded me of Shatner a few times. Sulu is poor though!

But..
    I'm not sure about the ending. So they've captured the ship, overthrown the Captain and casually warp off into the distance? Surely the first thing to do would be to prepare for the inevitable backlash. I can't believe the whole crew (especially Scotty and Chekov) just got on board with Spock's revolution after just a recording and Kirk's "confession"? Someone will have gotten the word out to Starfleet Command!

Still, nit-picking aside they've really done a great job here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've only just finished the second episode there, "Lolani". I forgot I was watching something non canon & fan fiction...the standard this reaches is incredible. Kirk is so, so, well done. Spock is pretty damn good too. Thankfully the guy who plays Sulu didn't have any role in this episode as he's pretty dire...but otherwise from lighting to story to acting it's stellar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Demonique wrote: »
    And the guy who plays Kirk is an asshole. He's known for hitting on girls at anime cons who cosplay anime characters he's voiced

He was at Eirkaton a couple of years back and one of the stipulations of him attending was that the con had to put his religious leaflets into the con bag

If we didn't like actors who played the field we'd like very few.

He makes an excellent kirk. The mannerisms are exact. Not a caricature but exact.

And the set is great. Acting is fine. Story was very good this time.

Michael Dorn voiced the mirror-universe ship's computer in this episode :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3804654

Was Marina Sirtis in the first one. Not sure about the second episode – was there no computer voice? Can't find a credit.

Cool for them to be involved anyway. Always annoyed me that Worf and Troi's romance was dropped cold after the TNG series :)

Cool for them to be involved anyway. Always annoyed me that Worf and Troi's romance was dropped cold after the TNG series :)

Nah.. They were just far too different for that to be realistic - bit like how all-of-a-sudden Seven was dating Chakotay in the last episode of Voyager.

Worf and Jadzia were far better suited (lucky fecker! :p), but Troi was always meant to end up with Riker :)

(The Imazdi books by Peter David covered this whole thing very well)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Fantastic. I think the only downside is that they are trying to emulate iconic characters. With these kind of production values they could have written a new crew & ship and created their own personalities.

Riamfada wrote: »
    Fantastic. I think the only downside is that they are trying to emulate iconic characters. With these kind of production values they could have written a new crew & ship and created their own personalities.

I think them continuing where TOS left off as a strength myself especially as they have Kirk (in particular) and Spock done so well and the rest of the main cast (with the exception of Sulu) is pretty good too. Better again that they're following up with some sequels to original episodes as well. The latest one was great.

If they'd done another ship with a different crew I don't think it'd gather the same level of interest.

• Advertisement

Riamfada wrote: »

I had the same thought, definitely agree there. Imagine this was a different ship, separate to the Enterprise...with all new characters that we've never met before.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Nah.. They were just far too different for that to be realistic - bit like how all-of-a-sudden Seven was dating Chakotay in the last episode of Voyager.

Ah but they built it up subtly over a number of episodes – since Parallels if I recall correctly – wasn't just shoe-horned into the final. Riker/Troi was the obvious romance, obviously, but that had died almost completely before being resuscitated for no good apparent reason in the films. Pretty sure Worf/Troi was just never mentioned again.

Riamfada wrote:
    I think the only downside is that they are trying to emulate iconic characters. With these kind of production values they could have written a new crew & ship and created their own personalities.
    Usually I'd agree with something like that but they're doing such a good job I'm happy to just let them at it. The acting isn't perfect but even that's improved a lot between the first and third episode. Sulu didn't annoy me in this one.

Just finished the 3rd episode there, utterly brilliant stuff. Once again, I'm so impressed with how well Kirk was portrayed, & the mirror universe Kirk at that. The inflections, the tones, the mannerisms...they're perfect, & I mean perfect. Further to that, it even looks like Kirk, & sounds like him too.

Spock is fantastic in this episode too. It's so impressive, I hope this goes on for a long time. Nice to hear Mr. Dorn in there too as the computer voice. I'm looking forward to the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

another great episode!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If you are a fan of this series, and I certainly am, then you need to check out their new Kickstarter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trekcontinues/star-trek-continues-2015-kirkstarter-20#updates

They are planning many more episodes. :D

Episode 4: 'The White Iris' was released yesterday.

"Captain Kirk finds himself haunted by guilt from his past as the fate of an alien world hangs in the balance."

Or slightly better quality on Vimeo.

Haven't watched it yet myself. Bookmarked for this evening.

Just watched it there now...
    Not as good as the last one tbh...

- I just didn't buy Kirk's refusal to accept McCoy's and Spock's counsel earlier
    - The Enterprise has a holodeck????
    - The weapons officer seems a bit too "Airplane" in delivering the "Warheads are closing!" line

On the plus side, Kirk, Spock and McCoy were solidly portrayed again and the production values are still top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭corkie

"Captain Kirk finds himself haunted by guilt from his past as the fate of an alien world hangs in the balance."

Or slightly better quality on Vimeo.

Looks like the youtube versions have been removed due to copyright!

corkie wrote: »
    Looks like the youtube versions have been removed due to copyright!

I wonder why, they've permission to do what they're doing as long as it's not for profit :confused: I wonder if it's a case of the copyright bot picking up on some background music or something...

A bit of star trek trivia but one of the female characters that kirk is having regrets over, was originally played by Joan Collins in TOS episode S01E28 featuring "Guardian of Forever"!

Finally got around to watching "The White Iris" tonight!

• Advertisement

New episode is up:

Divided We Stand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Watching this series, it's excellent especially Vic Mignogna channeling the original Captain Kirk.

Star Trek Continues E07 "Embracing the Winds" -- Released today.
    Published on 3 Sep 2016

While the Enterprise is sent on a seemingly routine mission, Kirk is recalled to starbase where he faces an ethical dilemma that challenges the very core of Starfleet Command.

^^ Good episode. I admit I'm kinda surprised though given the recent "changes" to support (or just turning a blind eye) for third party shows like this.

Good episode. Not great though; maybe their weakest yet?

I thought the actor playing Commander Garrett seemed a bit out of her depth. Nice nod to Captain Garrett of the Enterprise C though (from TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise).

Still, love this series. Really glad they are (so far, hopefully not going to change) allowed to continue releasing these; think they've said they want to finish up the series with 2 more left in the pipeline.

Good episode. Not great though; maybe their weakest yet?

I thought the actor playing Commander Garrett seemed a bit out of her depth. Nice nod to Captain Garrett of the Enterprise C though (from TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise).

Still, love this series. Really glad they are (so far, hopefully not going to change) allowed to continue releasing these; think they've said they want to finish up the series with 2 more left in the pipeline.

I actually enjoyed this one a lot.. it was a bit ham-fisted at times with the main plot, and the actress playing Garrett was pretty weak overall (agree that the nod was nice though), but I really like the sense of continuity in this episode.. more than the standalone episodes we have seen in other outings or even TOS itself. This one felt like part of a genuine season 4. It was good to see Chekov find that focus and start the road to where we see him in the movies for example.

One annoyance was the completely unexplained and somewhat rushed events on the Hood, and the uncharacteristic/fatalistic reaction of Scotty and Uhura while onboard. Guess we won't find out though unless they come back to it in a future episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Nice nod to Captain Garrett of the Enterprise C though (from TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise).
    Nice nod too to George Takei's experiences of the Japanese Relocation Camps in the US during World War 2.

Only 2? I for one would be very sorry to see this come to an end. I'd rather have this than everything I've heard/read so far about the new series to be very honest.

• Advertisement

Release over the weekend:

Star Trek Continues: Episode 8 – Still Treads the Shadow
    The Enterprise discovers a lost starship… with an unlikely passenger.

Pretty good episode, as usual!
    On the negative side though, was it just me or did they *really* fail to sell the character of Rekha. She was just sort of placed there and we were expected to believe in her undying devotion to old Jim, and his to her, for no discernible reason. I think it's a common problem with guest stars, particularly female ones, both in TOS and Continues, but it felt particularly egregious this time for some reason. I got the impression that they were more interested in using a 'famous' guest actor than they were developing an actual character.

Otherwise though, a solid ep. Would have liked maybe more of an allusion to the events of Enterprise: In A Mirror Darkly, but that might have been hard to justify.

Advertisement