Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek Continues

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hal9550

PRETTY SAVAGE EPISODE!

Very well written
    When the female ESPer responded that they killed the crew of the USS Hood merely to see if they could, that was pretty much the best part of the episode in my opinion. Very well done

Really excited to see the next episode
    Will be interested to see if Star Fleet explain Section 31 to Kirk, and his reaction ..

Happy to discuss with anyone who wants too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEBLz3w6a7U

Just listened to this interview by Vic mignogna who plays Kirk in STC

I wanted to ask the question. Is anyone else rather annoyed with the Axenar guys for indirectly ruining the possibility of 2 more Continues Episodes (Personally i reckon they mighta been persuaded to do a feature length after that, you never know)

I cant help feeling a wee bit of anger on this issue. Rather than solely take this interview (Doesnt mention Axenar by name but its clearly the one he is describing), i did some reading and it seems Mignogna is right - apparently merchandising was in the works for Axenar.

I remember seeing its trailer/prelude on youtube and thinking it was amazing! But compared to Continues, and considering Axenar is probably never going to happen, i do feel hard done by!

Does anyone fancy throwing their lot in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

hal9550 wrote: »
    Is anyone else rather annoyed with the Axenar guys for indirectly ruining the possibility of 2 more Continues Episodes

I think everyone is rather annoyed at those clowns.

Its just that genuinely being a fan of STC, right at the end.. im annoyed! So i can imagine someone who has followed from day one, and now finds that its been scuttled/cut-short thanks to axanar (which as far as i can see is dead in the water), must be fuming now

To Boldly Go – Part 2

I watched this last night. It's perfect. What a wonderful send-off for the original series
    The steady transition, in the final third of the episode, to the costumes, sets, and musical cues of the motion picture worked so well to tie those two eras together. Also nice to see them addressing a few continuity loose ends, such as the old Constitution classes being wiped out, prompting a rebuild of the fleet with new technology, the Enterprise insignia being adopted fleet-wide, and seeing the USS Discovery, along with the NX-01 and Cochrane's ship, as a model in the admiral's collection. Not to mention putting those three characters – Kirk, Spock, and McCoy – right where they needed to be emotionally for the start of TMP.

A really terrific final episode of TOS, finally, after 50 years. A pity it's most likely the last we'll ever see of these great Star Trek fan productions – but I'm so glad they got to see the vision to the end.

• Advertisement

Yes i completely agree with the above.

I said previously, and in other threads that i would occasionally watch Fan Made productions, but when i found Star Trek Continues, i realized that it was a different league. Not to diminish the achievements of other productions, but Continues for me, IS Star Trek the original series. This send off was epic.
    Again, in line with treating Continues like any Star Trek series, and any episode of TOS, TNG etc... There were things i liked. The transition from TOS to TMP was EPIC. The story was decent, and the saucer seperation was CLASS.. the tie ins to discovery and ST-Enterprise was also welcome.. One thing which i felt was perhaps outta place was the crazy Romulan 'stab in the back'.. had it been the ESPers manipulating the romulans into behaving this way i would have had no complaints, and i stress this is not a stab at the story itself. I think they had time limitations and probably just ran with this. Romulans can always be untrustworthy but i expected a little more. I dont think the romulan first officer even appeared for most of the episode, although i will have to rewatch.. But the only reason i even mention a criticism is the high regard i hold this Fan series in. For me i view it as a season of TOS.

OVERALL.. it was an excellent episode. And for the record, as a finale, it ranks with 'All good things', in my opinion. Certainly far better than 'These are the Voyages', and 'Endgame'

I share 'Goodshapes' disappointment that its over. Without wanting to dredge up the Axanar debate, for which i opened a separate thread, this Finale has again made me quite angry. the selfish actions of another production, and flamboyant disregard for common sense 'fair use', have ended this series 2 episodes early. And the guidelines make it unlikely we will ever see something of this caliber again. All the same, BRAVO.. it was Amazing..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

Enjoyed that, pity it has come to an END!

Re-watched part 1 before watching the latest episode.

Did not know that separating the drive section was possible on D!

One episode of New Voyages yet to air, if they get permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well that was a fantastic ending to a great series. As far as I'm concerned anyway it IS TOS season 4, which is probably the best and most deserved praise I can give it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ill be sad to see this go. For a fan made production, it was magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Just finished and WOW. What an ending and so many great nods to Shatner... I could almost see him - amazing ending... Just which i would have seen the ship being refitted on ending..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

How canon do people consider Star Trek Continues ? I only became aware of this little gem when 'to boldly go part 1'(the penultimate ep) came out a few weeks back . After I got over the dissonance of seeing different actors in those iconic roles I really enjoyed it , especially the tying in of future canon like the mention of Romulans ships being powered by mini blackholes.

I ask because I've just began watching the first episode and low and behold the opening scene is revealed to have taken place on a holodeck. I have no idea whether these guys always planned to include it as they figured it's appearance in TAS was a tacit acknowledgement that it was something Gene planned to incorporate in a fourth season, or whether they new it was going to be included in Discovery and just wanted to tip their hat to it(like the Discovery model in the Admirals office) . What I do know is purists thought it was canon destroying when Discovery did it.

What I'm wondering is, what do these same purists make of Continues doing the same.

Anyways I'm looking foward to plowing through the rest of the episodes to see what surprises and interesting future canon referances it holds .

I don't think Continues can be called canon, if for no other reason that it simply isn't an official Star Trek series, but I would consider that it at least adheres to the classic Star Trek canon (and I'm purposefully making the distinction between 'classic' canon and whatever this new post-JJ post-Discovery stuff is (which I'm also enjoying very much, w/r/t Discovery at least)).

Having an early holodeck doesn't contradict anything. It appears to be new technology, less advanced than the TNG holodeck, and is in keeping with Roddenberry's plans for Star Trek Phase II, the abandoned television reboot/continuation of TOS which later morphed into The Motion Picture and TNG.

TNG took a lot of it's setup and early stories from abandoned Phase II ideas and scripts, including the holodeck, and I believe ST: Continues also looked there for inspiration. The Continues episodes are specifically designed to be TOS season 4 and/or 5, so having a holodeck show up in "season 4" doesn't mean they had one in season's 1 to 3 and makes no claims about there being a holodeck prior to that (i.e. ~10 years earlier on the Discovery). And as you mentioned, a holodeck was already seen in TAS.

So I think, technically, Continues can't be canon. But technicalities aside, it's a near-perfect canon-abiding season 4/5.

Also, that first episode of Continues was produced about 5 years ago, so there's not much chance that the holodeck was a hat-tip to Discovery.

How canon do people consider Star Trek Continues ? I only became aware of this little gem when 'to boldly go part 1'(the penultimate ep) came out a few weeks back . After I got over the dissonance of seeing different actors in those iconic roles I really enjoyed it , especially the tying in of future canon like the mention of Romulans ships being powered by mini blackholes.

I ask because I've just began watching the first episode and low and behold the opening scene is revealed to have taken place on a holodeck. I have no idea whether these guys always planned to include it as they figured it's appearance in TAS was a tacit acknowledgement that it was something Gene planned to incorporate in a fourth season, or whether they new it was going to be included in Discovery and just wanted to tip their hat to it(like the Discovery model in the Admirals office) . What I do know is purists thought it was canon destroying when Discovery did it.

What I'm wondering is, what do these same purists make of Continues doing the same.

Anyways I'm looking foward to plowing through the rest of the episodes to see what surprises and interesting future canon referances it holds .

Official Canon: Its probable that STC will never truly be recognized as canon in my opinion. And by canon we would mean that it will be accepted as part of trek history and such, within the shows and films themselves. The CLOSEST endorsement came from Gene Roddenberry's Son Rod (from wikipedia, with references to Rods Statement on Facebook)
    On July 31, 2014, Rod Roddenberry attended an official screening of "Fairest of Them All" in Las Vegas and endorsed the project stating: "I do have to say, and I said this after 'Lolani', I'm pretty damn sure my dad would consider this canon. The fact that you do stories that mean something, that have depth, that make us all think a little bit, I really think he would applaud you guys, and I applaud you guys. And, as far as I am concerned, it is canon. So thank you."

I would say, personally, i have no issue with STC as canon. I think it fits nicely, and continues several story lines from TOS. The mirror universe for example, along with Apollo and the ESPers

In terms of myself, im a trekkie in the truest sense. I have seen every incarnation of Trek and read many books and tech manuals.. I stated in a different thread that Star Trek is FULL of canonical errors, with the eugenics wars being the obvious one i always remember (Took place in 1990s.. yet so did Voyagers Futures End..??)

IN terms of discovery, i havent really seen any, what i would deem to be, MASSIVE plot holes or canon errors.. nothing that cannot be explained away, in my opinion..

I will say this, STC is FAR more acceptable of Trad-canon in my opinion. The proto-holodeck.. fine.. The Saucer Sep... Interesting!.. Inclusion of a ships Councillor.. Had to start at some point!!

For me, personally, its as much canon as anything, although i doubt it will be referenced in a future production.

hal9550 wrote: »

I will say this, STC is FAR more acceptable of Trad-canon in my opinion. The proto-holodeck.. fine.. The Saucer Sep... Interesting!.. Inclusion of a ships Councillor.. Had to start at some point!!

For me, personally, its as much canon as anything, although i doubt it will be referenced in a future production.

I was curious about the Saucer Separation on the Enterprise as well. Canon but rarely used (if at all) in TOS but was a possibility.
    In 2267, Captain James T. Kirk considered a plan wherein chief engineer Montgomery Scott would discard the warp drive nacelles and escape with the main section when the original USS Enterprise was threatened by Vaal at Gamma Trianguli VI. Ultimately, the separation was never ordered. (TOS: "The Apple")

The Final Goodbye [Published on 20 Nov 2017]

Star Trek Continues have released posters, DVD and Blu-ray sleeves, and ISO images to download and burn to disc (although the ISO's still seem to be 'coming soon' at the moment).

Pretty cool if you want to add them to a collection. Pity they weren't out a bit earlier, would have made a nice Christmas gift for someone.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/downloads.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just bumping this thread as I came across this series on Youtube.

It is excellent and I agree with other posters that you forget that this was a fan-service production. The visuals, costumes, FX, music, EVERYTHING is done with a micro level of detail. Yes there is some chewing of the scenery by some of the actors but the stories and the overall sense of love for TOS shines through the whole thing.

Also checkout an older fan series.

Star Trek 'New Voyages'/'Phase 2'

Thread here:- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104354003
    YT: - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkxwocDze43XGhvUptIRFQ

Your not the only one to resurface a thread, I did in the above thread as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

corkie wrote: »
    Also checkout an older fan series.

Star Trek 'New Voyages'/'Phase 2'

Thread here:- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104354003
    YT: - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkxwocDze43XGhvUptIRFQ

Your not the only one to resurface a thread, I did in the above thread as well.

Ha!! I see I STARTED that thread way back in 2005!!

I am posting this here, because I didn't want to start a new thread for a once of feature.

Yorktown: A Time To Heal

5 Apr 2022

Starring James Shigeta & George Takei. Directed by Da Han.

YORKTOWN: A TIME TO HEAL (starring GEORGE TAKEI as Sulu) – the 37-year trek… (Part 1)

I thought fan-fiction shows, where under strict rules now, so strange to see kind of recent content from the likes of Avalon Universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Yes I watched it a long time ago and is good. Lot's of fan series floating around but this is the best.

Its a shame it had to end but I think the owners of trek clamped down because a fan movie was being made in dubious circumstances

I post here, instead of starting a new thread.

For anyone watching Fan Productions? This 4 HOUR documentary airing tonight 18:00 might interest somebody?

A ONE-OF-KIND documentary celebrates VANCE MAJOR and his 9-YEAR mission in FAN FILMMAKING!

^^^ Vance Major a.k.a Erick Minard, Chief Engineer of the STARSHIP VALIANT /Constar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuaONi_6L-Y

Advertisement