Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calories in Craft Beer

• 02-09-2016 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I like my IPA's but am on a calorie focused diet.

Is there any reliable source to reference the calories in 500ml bottles of IPA particularly O'Hara's IPA, it's Aldi variant O'Shea's and other IPA's sold in Aldi such as Ghost Ship, Brown Bear etc? The labels don't seem to contain any reference to calories which is a bit frustrating.

I've seen various claims from 156 calories for a 500ml bottle of O'Hara's IPA to 370 calories!!

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

But if you are on a diet then you shouldn't be on the gargle atall :pac:

This should help you though it's obviously not brand specific :)

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcoholic-drinks-units/ale-and-stout/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The O'Hara's website gives the gravity of the IPA as 13.5° Plato, which equates to an OG of 1.055. We also know that it's 5.2% ABV, and to get that from a 1.055 wort it has to finish around 1.015. I put those two gravities into a couple of online calculators and they gave me a number around 181 calories for a 12 USoz serving, which is 355mls. So by my working out, a 500ml bottle of O'Hara's IPA contains 255 calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

BeerNut wrote: »
    The O'Hara's website gives the gravity of the IPA as 13.5° Plato, which equates to an OG of 1.055. We also know that it's 5.2% ABV, and to get that from a 1.055 wort it has to finish around 1.015. I put those two gravities into a couple of online calculators and they gave me a number around 181 calories for a 12 USoz serving, which is 355mls. So by my working out, a 500ml bottle of O'Hara's IPA contains 255 calories.

You're the man BeerNut, that'll do me.

Part of my diet/lifestyle program (lose a bit of weight, get more in shape, nothing too drastic) involves limiting my calorie intake per day to 1,810 which I track using http://www.myfitnesspal.com. Fortunately I enjoy exercise and the calories burned doing exercise are added to your daily allowance.

When I want a few beers (weekends mostly) I try to do a bit more exercise to earn the credit.

Using http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim I can see that 40 minutes jogging on the treadmill (about my max) gives me 1228 calories to play with which I now know equates to apprximately 5 bottles of O'Hara's.

Perfect for a Saturday night and if I sneak an extra one or two I'll just have to work off a few more calories in the sack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Try the Trouble Brewing Graffiti Pale Ale, Lidl have it and it was €1.99 last week, normally €2.99. I like it on a Friday, after I've been good all week. 108 calories, so I can have four and a small bag or cheese and onion crisps for around 500 cals....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/trouble-brewing-graffiti-pale-ale-231497031

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Try the Trouble Brewing Graffiti Pale Ale, Lidl have it and it was €1.99 last week, normally €2.99. I like it on a Friday, after I've been good all week. 108 calories, so I can have four and a small bag or cheese and onion crisps for around 500 cals....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/trouble-brewing-graffiti-pale-ale-231497031
    That's seems very little calories for 500ml of pale ale...I have been caught out before with wrong calories on my fitness pal...I would love if those numbers are correct.. Light beers like Coors light are 100 kcal for 330ml bottle ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

harr wrote: »
    That's seems very little calories for 500ml of pale ale...I have been caught out before with wrong calories on my fitness pal...I would love if those numbers are correct.. Light beers like Coors light are 100 kcal for 330ml bottle ..

I thought so too, but it's a 3.6% apv beer....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I thought so too, but it's a 3.6% apv beer....
    Smithwicks is similar alcohol content and is showing anywhere from 150 kcal to 250 kcal ...most websites have it as 150kcal for 12oz ...my fitness pal have it as 250..
    If trouble is only 108kcal I will be happy out ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not all the calories in beer are bioavailable.
    Hence why you often see skinny alcoholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Using http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim I can see that 40 minutes jogging on the treadmill (about my max) gives me 1228 calories to play with .

That doesn't sound right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

harr wrote: »
    Smithwicks is similar alcohol content and is showing anywhere from 150 kcal to 250 kcal ...most websites have it as 150kcal for 12oz ...my fitness pal have it as 250...
    American Smithwicks is different from Irish Smithwicks so I wouldn't trust any data on an American site for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

RasTa wrote: »

Agree. Very difficult to burn 1200 calories in a 40 minute session on a treadmill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Not all the calories in beer are bioavailable.

How many are ? :)

RasTa wrote: »

You're 100% correct. I was putting my weight in as 197KG instead of 97KG. :o confusing Thinking KG's but inputting lbs!!

If it looks too good to be true :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're 100% correct. I was putting my weight in as 197KG instead of 97KG. :o confusing Thinking KG's but inputting lbs!!

If it looks too good to be true :(

I would be damn impressed if someone 197kg *could* do 40 mins jogging :pac:

L1011 wrote: »
    I would be damn impressed if someone 197kg *could* do 40 mins jogging :pac:

I'm impressed I can do 40 minutes jogging at 48 years young and 97kg :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

maximum12 wrote: »

I have no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

maximum12 wrote: »

It seemingly depends on how much you drink, your body appears to get used to it and so the more you drink the less each one has an effect (I don't mean the more in a single session I mean being an alcoholic or heavy drinker).

You will hear doctors etc using this forumla of an excess of 3500kcal leading to 1lb fat gain. This is why you hear them say stuff like "give up that 400kcal muffin each moring and lose X pounds of fat over a year".

If the 3500kcal =1lb fat gain thing was true for alcohol I would not fit out the door, the likes of Shane MacGowan would be a whale. I readily lost fat while still drinking a large amount of calories. Some beers will still be naturally high in sugar, heineken is about 1/3rd the sugar of coke per ml. Very few beers publish their calorie content, sites seem to pluck them out of the air. I know cans of 4.2% guinness here used to have 170kcal per 500ml on them which is relatively low.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/04/health/why-the-body-may-waste-the-calories-from-alcohol.html
    yes, for a moderate social drinker who has a cocktail before dinner or an occasional glass of wine or a beer. For these people, alcohol calories can indeed add up. Body Learns to Waste Calories

But chronic heavy drinking can prime certain metabolic processes and, in effect, train the body to waste the seven calories a gram that alcohol ordinarily provides.

For example, weight gain was negligible in alcoholics who were given 2,000 calories of alcohol daily on top of the 2,500 calories from foods they consumed to maintain their weight. But when the same number of additional calories were fed as chocolate, a steady weight gain resulted.

Thus, the energy waste associated with a heavy intake of alcohol cannot be attributed to a reduction in the intake of other foods. More likely, it results from interference with the body's ability to derive energy from other foods.

According to Dr. Lieber's report, experiments in laboratory animals and in heavy drinkers found that alcohol calories did indeed count for animals and people who consumed a very low-fat diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I now have a quasi-scientific justification to drink more beer. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,828 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

According to Dr. Lieber's report, experiments in laboratory animals and in heavy drinkers found that alcohol calories did indeed count for animals and people who consumed a very low-fat diet.

That's what the kebab and chips afterwards are for :)

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement