Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a worker on a US Military Airbase

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 77 Verified rep I work on a US Military Airbase, AMA

FanadMan wrote: »
    What do you do when you finish work/have time off? With no beer onsite, how do you manage to survive as a Paddy? ;)

Usually I'd either chill out in my room and watch TV, go hang out with friends, or go to the gym.
    The days are long so by the time you clock off you're not exactly full of beans most days so it's nice to just relax.
    As for the alcohol thing...... There's ways around that.

Allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Great AMA.

Speaking of cool jobs around there, are there any PJ's on that base (para jumpers) ?
    I watched a few programs on them (from the safety of the armchair) and it was one of the best of that reality type I've seen. Brilliant camera work (cameras on the blackhawks fuel probe etc)

Those guys do a amazing job from the actual pick up of the wounded to the treatment en-route back to the base.

• Company Representative Posts: 77 Verified rep I work on a US Military Airbase, AMA

1.618 wrote: »
    Great AMA.

Speaking of cool jobs around there, are there any PJ's on that base (para jumpers) ?
    I watched a few programs on them (from the safety of the armchair) and it was one of the best of that reality type I've seen. Brilliant camera work (cameras on the blackhawks fuel probe etc)

Those guys do a amazing job from the actual pick up of the wounded to the treatment en-route back to the base.

I don't think I've actually met anyone here that does that job. But then again, I don't ask everyone what they do so maybe I have and didn't realise it.
    But I'm sure they are here alright.
    I'll actually keep an eye out for them now that you mention it. I've watched a couple of things on them myself and they do a fantastic job that often gets overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

For those that haven't seen it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Great AMA, thanks for doing this.

What's the telly like? Do you get Netflix?

Just one bit of advice.
    When you eventually do come home, don't tell any of your new colleagues where you've been. Everyday some smartarse will shout out INCOMING! just to see the look on your face. ;)

Good luck to you and be lucky!!!!

• Advertisement

Great AMA, thanks for doing this.

What's the telly like? Do you get Netflix?

Just one bit of advice.
    When you eventually do come home, don't tell any of your new colleagues where you've been. Everyday some smartarse will shout out INCOMING! just to see the look on your face. ;)

Good luck to you and be lucky!!!!

Yeah you can get Netflix here alright. The Internet can be pretty sketchy so sometimes streaming stuff is hit and miss. I usually have some movies downloaded on a USB that I can plough through.
    Although most of the time if you start something on Netflix or a movie streaming site and pause it for 10 or 15 mins at the start it'll usually buffer enough for you to watch right the way through.
    When you go home on your time off, the Internet speeds blow your mind!

You can also watch AFN here. That's the Armed Forces Network. They have a few different channels and you get all the latest tv shoes and movies just like you would at home. They also show live sports and ppv events like boxing and mma too.
    The only problem is its American tv so you're plagued with ads every two minutes.

Oh and there's also a cinema on base that shows movies every day. And you get free popcorn. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

There are obviously moral and ethical issues with being part of a occupying force, and you've considered those and are comfortable with your involvement. I can't see myself in that situation, so I'd be interested in your reasons and your internal decision process which justifies your involvement.

Why is it morally correct for the US Army to be in Afghanistan?

Why do you accept your role in the death (drone/rocket/bullet) of locals?

Is there much (or any) discussion of these political issues on a military base?

Obviously people in your situation are far closer to one set of facts and those of use far away have no access to those facts, but have a different set. What local facts influence you?

edanto wrote: »
    There are obviously moral and ethical issues with being part of a occupying force, and you've considered those and are comfortable with your involvement. I can't see myself in that situation, so I'd be interested in your reasons and your internal decision process which justifies your involvement.

Why is it morally correct for the US Army to be in Afghanistan?

Why do you accept your role in the death (drone/rocket/bullet) of locals?

Is there much (or any) discussion of these political issues on a military base?

Obviously people in your situation are far closer to one set of facts and those of use far away have no access to those facts, but have a different set. What local facts influence you?

I haven't needed to justify my being here at all.
    This war is happening with or without me being here.

I'm not here to justify why coalition forces are here in Afghanistan.
    Notice I said coalition forces. You said US Army. People on the Internet tend to aim all their abuse and moral righteousness towards the USA. They're an easy target and slamming the USA seems to be the hip thing to do nowadays.
    While the US obviously has the biggest presence here in Afghanistan, there are many many more nations with troops deployed here and they seem to get none of the disdain directed towards them.

As far as drone strikes or attacks from coalition forces go, I'll be 100% honest with you..... if I hear of Taliban getting killed here, I'm pretty happy about it.
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they are far from simple freedom fighters. They are total scum and every one of them deserves whatever they get. Simple as that.
    They actively try to kill everyone on this base, including me, on a daily basis so I'm not going to shed a tear when they get wiped out. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who tries to kill you every day.

There's not a lot of discussion on base about why we're all here. People get on with things and do their job.

As for local factors influencing my take on things, well I've already touched on that here. Rockets come in here all the time and the goal is to kill anyone they can on this base. One only came in last night and thankfully was shot down before it could cause any damage.
    A lot of the locals here on base are terrified of the Taliban. I've heard them tell stories about horrific things that have happened at the hands of the Taliban. Most of the locals are happy coalition forces are here.

It's easy to sit back and read online blogs about how awful the USA is and the "atrocities" committed here. As I said, being anti-war, or anti-America, or anti-everything, is the popular thing to do nowadays.
    But trust me, living in the middle of it and seeing things first hand will change your opinion on things quite quickly.

That defence makes no sense. I'm fairly sure that if the Taliban set up a base in the middle of Texas that the Texans would fire rockets at them and try to kill them. The facts that an occupation is resisted cannot be used to justify the resistance.

There must be some set of facts that are valid to justify your role in the occupation and coalition military actions, up to and including death. What are those facts? Come on, you must have thought about this way more than any of the rest of us.

That defence makes no sense. I'm fairly sure that if the Taliban set up a base in the middle of Texas that the Texans would fire rockets at them and try to kill them. The facts that an occupation is resisted cannot be used to justify the resistance.

There must be some set of facts that are valid to justify your role in the occupation and coalition military actions, up to and including death. What are those facts? Come on, you must have thought about this way more than any of the rest of us.

The Taliban are not just resisting an occupation. They see the occupation as an opportunity to capture and kill western forces. Remember, they were butchering people long before any forces came here.
    Do you honestly think that if we all left here tomorrow that the country would be all rosy and everyone would get along? Not a chance. The Taliban would be ruthless leaders of the country. They are despicable excuses for human beings and the things I've heard of them doing to their own people are absolutely horrific.

But to be honest, I think you're missing the point of this thread. It's an AMA on what life is like here. I'm not here to justify or explain the war in detail. Now, you're welcome to ask me any question you like and I'll answer it to the best of my ability but I'm not a spokesperson for the military or for government so I'm really not able to give you the answers you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Thanks for doing this AMA OP. It is very interesting.

What's the level of bureaucracy on the base? i.e are there a a load of forms to be filled out for simple things or do you have to sign in and out when moving between different areas?

Have you read Catch 22 by Joseph Heller? If so, does it ring any bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭shovel

Hi
    You mentioned a few times about contract helicopter pilots having a great job good pay and great time off.

Can I ask what helicopters they are flying,military or civilian.

If military why them,is there a shortage of pilots.
    Are they flying in combat or just ferrying other contractors in and out.

The Taliban are not just resisting an occupation. They see the occupation as an opportunity to capture and kill western forces. Remember, they were butchering people long before any forces came here.
    Do you honestly think that if we all left here tomorrow that the country would be all rosy and everyone would get along? Not a chance. The Taliban would be ruthless leaders of the country. They are despicable excuses for human beings and the things I've heard of them doing to their own people are absolutely horrific.

But to be honest, I think you're missing the point of this thread. It's an AMA on what life is like here. I'm not here to justify or explain the war in detail. Now, you're welcome to ask me any question you like and I'll answer it to the best of my ability but I'm not a spokesperson for the military or for government so I'm really not able to give you the answers you're looking for.

No, it would not be rosy at all if the 'coalition' pulled out immediately. I think we agree about the violence of the Taliban and how terrible that is. Is overthrowing the Taliban the main justification you have for being in Afghanistan? What do you plan to replace it with? Is there any peace-building strategy, and how much progress has been made in the last 15 years?

The point is to ask you anything right? I fully respect your right not to answer any questions etc, but I happen to be interested in your motivations, and I think the cloak of anonymity that you have frees you up to speak from the heart.

It's rare for any active military staff (I disagree with your self-assessment as a civilian, 'mercenary' would be closer).... to discuss politics in public, so I'm just taking the opportunity to ask about why.

The question of why the occupying forces are there in the first place is fairly critical. I'm not asking for anything classified. It may be a sensitive topic, but only emotionally and not from a military point of view.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fcuked if I know. But it's disgusting.
    Also, if they ever try to shake your hand using their left hand, it's an insult. That's the hand they use to wipe their arse.

If I may add an explanation myself ;) In East Asian countries it's pretty common to use squat toilets, which is essentially a hole in the ground, sitting down to have have a crap is considered weird. I'd guess it's the same for the Afghans, so they stand on the toilet seat to squat over the bowl.

As an aside, squatting for a no. 2 is actually better for you than sitting like we do (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/06/01/benefits-squats.aspx).

Sorry :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Yester wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this AMA OP. It is very interesting.

What's the level of bureaucracy on the base? i.e are there a a load of forms to be filled out for simple things or do you have to sign in and out when moving between different areas?

Have you read Catch 22 by Joseph Heller? If so, does it ring any bells?

Yes. There is paperwork for absolutely everything. You need special permissions for everything.
    If you have a laptop or phone or any electrical device you need special permission and there's a mountain of paperwork to go through.
    If you have permission to move between bases then there's no paperwork needed. Just show your ID and off you go. The problem is getting that special permission in the first place.

I haven't read that book before but I just Googled it and it looks interesting. I might give it a go, thanks!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

edanto, knock it off with the badgering of the poster please. Thank you.

shovel wrote: »
    Hi
    You mentioned a few times about contract helicopter pilots having a great job good pay and great time off.

Can I ask what helicopters they are flying,military or civilian.

If military why them,is there a shortage of pilots.
    Are they flying in combat or just ferrying other contractors in and out.

They don't fly military choppers. That's just for the military.
    The main private company here is Colombia helicopters.
    They transport people and cargo around Afghanistan. The people on the flights are usually a mix of contractors and military.

There's no short of military pilots or aircraft here at all. There's a huge fleet on base.

No, it would not be rosy at all if the 'coalition' pulled out immediately. I think we agree about the violence of the Taliban and how terrible that is. Is overthrowing the Taliban the main justification you have for being in Afghanistan? What do you plan to replace it with? Is there any peace-building strategy, and how much progress has been made in the last 15 years?

The point is to ask you anything right? I fully respect your right not to answer any questions etc, but I happen to be interested in your motivations, and I think the cloak of anonymity that you have frees you up to speak from the heart.

It's rare for any active military staff (I disagree with your self-assessment as a civilian, 'mercenary' would be closer).... to discuss politics in public, so I'm just taking the opportunity to ask about why.

The question of why the occupying forces are there in the first place is fairly critical. I'm not asking for anything classified. It may be a sensitive topic, but only emotionally and not from a military point of view.

Yes of course you can ask me anything. That's the whole point of this thread and I'm doing my best to answer every question here as best as I can.

I'm going to put this as simply as I possibly can....

This is a job. I come to work here for the same reason anyone in Ireland goes to work every day. To earn money and provide for my family.
    That's it. No conspiracy. No deep rooted plans to rule the world.

I don't know what is going to replace the Taliban here but I only hope it's better than those shower of cnuts.

Your description of me as a mercenary genuinely made me laugh out loud. You're so far off the mark.

As I said in my previous post to you, I'll answer absolutely anything I can. The fact is I just do not have the answers you're looking for.

And I don't stop every day to think deeply about why we're all here and what it's all about. I'm sorry if that disappoints you but I just don't.

And I'm enjoying doing this AMA so I'd really prefer not to get into a deep moral discussion about the war in Afghanistan.

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of explanation I was asking for, appreciate you laying it out like that. I'm surprised that there isn't a more detailed rationale for taking part, I didn't think that job could be done in a similar thoughtless [i.e I want to clock in and out, to fund the important part of my life outside work] way to how we do jobs at home, and it's interesting to know. I guess I assumed there would be fairly regular discussions about "What are we doing here", and it's been interesting to hear that the topic doesn't come up much. I'm genuinely curious what the reason is to have a force there, but I guess we won't figure any of that out today.

The mercenary phrase is a reference to the outsourcing that has taken place in the military (particularly in the US military) over the last 20....40 years, but it's a loaded phrase and I apologise for using it. Maybe Private Military Contractor is clearer?

PMCs are obviously neither civilians nor military. The most famous example is probably Blackwater, the military outsourcing firm run by a religious fundamentalist in the US (but he's the right religion). Maybe you've not heard of them (maybe not if you hadn't heard of catch 22), lots to find online if you're interested.

http://www.democracynow.org/2007/3/20/blackwater_the_rise_of_the_worlds

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-dark-truth-about-blackwater/

I'll step away from the thread, thanks for answering the questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of explanation I was asking for, appreciate you laying it out like that. I'm surprised that there isn't a more detailed rationale for taking part, I didn't think that job could be done in a similar thoughtless [i.e I want to clock in and out, to fund the important part of my life outside work] way to how we do jobs at home, and it's interesting to know. I guess I assumed there would be fairly regular discussions about "What are we doing here", and it's been interested to hear that the topic doesn't come up much. I'm genuinely curious what the reason is to have a force there, but I guess we won't figure any of that out today.

The mercenary phrase is a reference to the outsourcing that has taken place in the military (particularly in the US military) over the last 20....40 years, but it's a loaded phrase and I apologise for using it. Maybe Private Military Contractor is clearer?

PMCs are obviously neither civilians nor military. The most famous example is probably Blackwater, the military outsourcing firm run by a religious fundamentalist in the US (but he's the right religion). Maybe you've not heard of them (maybe not if you hadn't heard of catch 22), lots to find online if you're interested.

Look this guy has given boards an insight into how he lives his daily life in Afghanistan. I have a friend that did exactly that as an electrician when the crash occurred in this country, he didn't question the morals of the war, he was there to feed his family in Ireland, nothing else.

It's easy to pontificate from a keyboard, but just for a second think how brave this guy is to go out there in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Thanks for your interesting answers.

A couple of questions:
    • when you say the country is a mess, can you say how, clarify a bit?
    • do you get a chance to pick up any skills - study for City & Guilds in electricianship, say, or study IT, or learn other languages? (I know, I know, you're working 10 hours a day, but just asking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Are you afraid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of explanation I was asking for, appreciate you laying it out like that. I'm surprised that there isn't a more detailed rationale for taking part, I didn't think that job could be done in a similar thoughtless [i.e I want to clock in and out, to fund the important part of my life outside work] way to how we do jobs at home, and it's interesting to know. I guess I assumed there would be fairly regular discussions about "What are we doing here", and it's been interested to hear that the topic doesn't come up much. I'm genuinely curious what the reason is to have a force there, but I guess we won't figure any of that out today.

Cop on the guy is providing for his family he has come on here to answer questions about what life is like in the base not to argue the morals of war with you
    As i said earlier on I've been looking at advertisements in my area of work to go out to similar areas

Cop on the guy is providing for his family he has come on here to answer questions about what life is like in the base not to argue the morals of war with you
    As i said earlier on I've been looking at advertisements in my area of work to go out to similar areas and the money would be great I've a small child and a partner trying to save for a mortgage etc 1 year or 2struggling being away but to get the money we need depending where I look it's an extra 20-30,000 a year it's very very tempting and no I wouldn't even think about the merits why everyone is in Afghanistan it's a means of providing for my family better than I am at the moment so o believe that's why a lot of the contractors are out there no big conspiracy fair play to this guy great AMA showing what it is like for people like me toying with the idea the politics of it is for a different thread

Now my question as you see I'm toying with applying somewhere would you find you are saving a lot of money from your pay if that's not to personal not looking for figures or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

sjb25 wrote: »
    As i said earlier on I've been looking at advertisements in my area of work to go out to similar areas and the money would be great I've a small child and a partner trying to save for a mortgage etc 1 year or 2struggling being away but to get the money we need depending where I look it's an extra 20-30,000 a year it's very very tempting and no I wouldn't even think about the merits why everyone is in Afghanistan it's a means of providing for my family better than I am at the moment so o believe that's why a lot of the contractors are out there no big conspiracy fair play to this guy great AMA showing what it is like for people like me toying with the idea the politics of it is for a different thread

Now my question as you see I'm toying with applying somewhere would you find you are saving a lot of money from your pay if that's not to personal not looking for figures or anything

You're a brave man If you do it, my mate got €100,000 for his time over there, he was shadowed by the military at all times, after the Ken bigly murder, contractors are escorted everywhere just to do the menial jobs, like changing a light bulb, but they are there places people get snatched and beheaded, it's definitely a brave move going out there.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Thanks for your interesting answers.

A couple of questions:
    • when you say the country is a mess, can you say how, clarify a bit?
    • do you get a chance to pick up any skills - study for City & Guilds in electricianship, say, or study IT, or learn other languages? (I know, I know, you're working 10 hours a day, but just asking!)

Well it's riddled with corruption for one.
    One of the main things I see with the place is how incompetent and corrupt the Afghan police and military forces are. A LOT of them have strong connections to Taliban and couldn't be trusted by themselves.

There's nothing available here to study per se.
    It's not really supposed to be a training ground. You're supposed to know your stuff to come out here.
    There are IT classes and things like that on base but they're for military members who are studying.

On the flipside, you have downtime where there's not much to do so it's the perfect place to be if you wanted to study another language or do online courses in your own time. You don't have a lot to do in your time off work so you've plenty of time to work on yourself. Whether that's doing a distance learning course, learning another language, or just getting in good shape in the very well equipped gyms. There are taekwondo classes and bjj classes too of you want to learn a martial art. All free of course.
    I used to enjoy writing when I was younger and I was considering having a go at writing a book. This is the ideal place to do that as there's not a lot to do in the evenings so it's the ideal time to focus on something productive. I might even write something about this place!

One thing to note is although there are no dedicated courses as such to learn new skills, I think being in a place like this gives you a unique take on things. The way you have to adapt and overcome different challenges here would certainly stand to you in future jobs and in life itself.

Are you afraid?

Honestly, no. Not at all.
    That's not bravado of any kind either. I just don't feel afraid here. The base is kept as secure as can be and if anything goes wrong, I have full confidence in everybody here to do their job and keep everyone safe.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What's the local cuisine like?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It's an AMA and he said he has no problem answering and they are fair questions...you don't like the question so it shouldn't be asked? Cop on.

Fair enough point

• Advertisement

sjb25 wrote: »

It's like any job really. You can save as much as you like as long as you put your mind to it. The difference is, you can earn a lot more out here than at home so in theory you can save more.
    It can go one of two ways: You can live extremely frugally and save a fortune in a relatively short time. Or you can go nuts with your increase in salary and live the high life!
    Personally, I spent like crazy at first but then knuckled down and am saving as much as possible now so I don't have to be out here forever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement