Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How tight should a wetsuit be?

• 20-08-2016 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have gotten a wetsuit for surfing. It's a cskins surflite winter suit but I am I sure of how tight it should fit. When I put it on it fits fine lengthwise but it doesn't feel very tight. It is Junior 2xl size. I tried on the size below it, and it was too small, couldn't pull it all the way up no matter how hard I tried. So what is the story? Will it still keep me warm or is it meant to be this way? It doesn't restrict my movement or anything like that. And that is trying it on dry. How loose would it feel in the water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Should be skin tight, you can't have room for water to flush in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It should make a good seal at the neck, writs and ankles. Also it should not be too baggy on the body. Not every suit is cut the same so while one size in brand X will not fit you well the same in another brand is fine. If it is baggy maybe you should try another brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

U tried it in the water and it is too loose. Hopefully I will grow into it. It's too late to return it to landers because they said once it is used no return. What can I do? Do ye k ow of any wetsuit alterations on Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

When trying on in a shop, a wettie should feel pretty tight, to the point you'll end up sweating buckets!! It needs to be tight as it'll loosen a little with use in the water. If its loose now, and you can get another that does fit, just keep that one for when you grow into it...you can never have enough wetties!! Although most brand sizes vary a little, until you've tried/owned a few suits you wont know for sure what your size is, especially if you're still growing! A L or MT suit in all brands fits me perfectly...I have a billabong/quiksilver/oneill/rip curl so know that now...didn't at first though!

myate wrote:
    When trying on in a shop, a wettie should feel pretty tight, to the point you'll end up sweating buckets!! It needs to be tight as it'll loosen a little with use in the water. If its loose now, and you can get another that does fit, just keep that one for when you grow into it...you can never have enough wetties!! Although most brand sizes vary a little, until you've tried/owned a few suits you wont know for sure what your size is, especially if you're still growing! A L or MT suit in all brands fits me perfectly...I have a billabong/quiksilver/oneill/rip curl so know that now...didn't at first though!

The sad thing is though, I can't afford another wetsuit unless there was some miracle there was a good wetsuit on clearance for 25 euro! 😂 that would be just great. Warm enough for winter too. But I k ow that isn't going to happen. I just can't wait to grow into it. I didn't think wetsuits would be his much trouble but now I know because of all the flushing of the suit in the water because it is too loose. Only if I could still return it I'd get the smaller one but that is no good and if I was to sell it I'd probably have to sell it for cheaper and still wouldn't have enough money but then if I do grow that would be too small so I'm just gambling on how much I will grow.

• Advertisement

Could I put a correct fitting shortie wetsuit under it to fill he gap and keep me warmer? I just came up with the idea and would like to know if it is plausible. The shortie in question isn't too thick so shouldn't be way too hot when coupled with the full suit.

Try it out a few times as its not such a big deal at the mo with the water this warm - but you may have to cut your losses and sell the suit to get one that fits for winter

rodento wrote: »
    Try it out a few times as its not such a big deal at the mo with the water this warm - but you may have to cut your losses and sell the suit to get one that fits for winter
    How much should I sell it for if I bought it for 99 euro? Thanks

At a guess 70, check adverts etc

Btw I'd always go for a good second hand suit over a cheap new one

rodento wrote:
    Btw I'd always go for a good second hand suit over a cheap new one

I had a good look on done deal and adverts. If I can find a good o neill winter **** for youth size 14 that would be great! Youth size 14 in o neill fits me perfectly then rather than C skins I k ow from renting one.
    rodento wrote:
    At a guess 70, check adverts etc

That little and it was only used once? I don't know. I mightn't have enough then. Besides I am using my birthday money and spent the other half on good booties which do fit btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Try a local surf shop, they may let you trade it in. Or else go to one of the surf schools and see if you can do some deal.

Bottom line is -
    1. Do not keep wearing a poor fitting suit into the winter, it will impact on your surfing.
    2. Do not miss the autumn / early winter surf season in Ireland because you do not have the right gear
    3. Do not buy wetsuits on line
    4. Buy wetsuits from decent surf shops and talk to the sales guys / gals. They know the score and will help with sizing
    5. Get in the water soon

That suggestion of talking to a surf school is a super idea

I asked jamie knox watersports and they said they would do a trade in but I dont know for how much. the suit was originally €110. Are o neill epic suits any good?

O'neill suits are fine but you need to make sure it fits first

Advertisement