Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Lights, what color?

Options
  • 13-08-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

So i'm thinking about getting a new set of lights for one of the trees. The others are white which works well with my decoration.

The tree in question is not a main tree and is very colorful and childish in decoration. I used blue lights on it last year which were fine but I'm putting those outside this year. So, any thoughts on multicolored? I've never had them myself, but growing up as a kid we did at home. I'm thinking that because it's so colorful already with the decoration it could work really well or will it be really garish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

As a kid ours were always multi coloured. It was just because they were the ones my folks bought in the 70's and they still work.

If its a kids one go coloured.

We have soft whiteish lights in ours, all very grown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I always mix mine, I love multi-coloured ones too much to leave them out. My main tree has both and my vintage tree is m-c.
    What I find a real boon is white tinsel - it reflects the lights, giving depth in the centre of the tree and it looks like snow too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Personally I've gone back to multi-coloured led for our main tree. I find the white very bland and blue can be quite cold.
    We have 2 trees and the small one has white with red cherry lights. I might change this though.
    I've children though and it'd be all out OTT if they had their way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

On the kids tree here with have multicolored and every mix match of decoration imaginable ! They love it :p our main tree down stairs the grown up tree has purple lights which I love ! And silver and glass decorations. If I'm doing a gold theme decoration I use warm white lights and outside is always bright white leds in the garden and was white around the windows (ti make a frame around the window ) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Thanks all, multicolored it is so, I think the kids will love them and homestore have them on offer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I always mix a set of white and coloured, it gives a lovely warm hazy feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Traditionally we always had coloured but our lights finally died last year (18 years old push bulbs) so we had to get a new set. Went with a set of white leds with variable light. While nice I missed the coloured so back to coloured this year.

The coloured seem more magical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I find it hard to get nice yellowy twinkly lights- all the LEDs look so white. I miss the gentle orange glow you get from fairy lights.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I find it hard to get nice yellowy twinkly lights- all the LEDs look so white. I miss the gentle orange glow you get from fairy lights.

What did you think of the warm led lights? I have a set of warm and non warm and the difference is unreal. The warm ones look absolutely more yellow than the other white one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I found them a lot better, but still a bit bright and white... maybe I should check out the soft lights in homestore and more.

I'm thinking coloured lights for this year though for a change. Although all my decorations are gold so I'm not sure how that will work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Zizigirl

I've had white lights forever on my tree since living in my own house. However over the years the tree has become less stylish/matching and more unique with all the children's decorations and bits and pieces. We are going to multicoloured lights this year, I can't wait!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Multicoloured are way more magical, by a factor of about 70 million! Especially if there are soft pink lights on the string as well as just red. I do have both on my tree though. A set of small bulbed warm white LEDs and coloured lights with the bigger old style fairy lights, which I bought in Guineys last year. I picked up a set of lantern lights after Christmas last year in Homestore, so I might try to fit them on my tree too this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've got so much Christmas stuff by now that I alternate colour themes according to the rainbow: last year was Red, so this is Gold, (representing Orange and Yellow) and next year will be Green. So the golden-y lights and baubles will be used!

I think multi-coloured lights please everyone, as long as they're not too big and "industrial" looking.

And agreeing, those bluish LEDs that you see everywhere are quite chilly and un-cosy-looking in my opinion. Best on a bare tree in a cold corner of the outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Zizigirl wrote: »
    I've had white lights forever on my tree since living in my own house. However over the years the tree has become less stylish/matching and more unique with all the children's decorations and bits and pieces. We are going to multicoloured lights this year, I can't wait!

I was exactly the same as you, stylish, themed, grown-up tree, then the kids came along and as the tree became more child-friendly, last year we finally decided to go back to multi-coloured. I don't regret it at all, it was a great decision :)

Advertisement