Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favourite source of carbohydrate?

Options
  • 25-08-2016 10:01pm

Potatoes for me. The others just don't cut it, well as far as dinner is concerned, although a bit of pasta now and again is alright (only white though - brown pasta is awful, do the Italians even eat it?)

Favourite source of carbohydrate? 107 votes

bread (wheat flour)
    0% 0 votes
    potatoes
    30% 33 votes
    rice
    31% 34 votes
    pasta
    17% 19 votes
    oats
    14% 16 votes
    bread (other)
    1% 2 votes
    other
    2% 3 votes

Comments

Chippies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I could honestly live without carbs. As long as I have protein and loads of veg then I'm happy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Gnocchi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The one nature intended: fruit.

All the carb sources in the poll have to be denatured / cooked in order to make them edible. You'd never eat any of 'em raw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

aberakebabra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Pizza....

but main source would be bread for sandwiches for lunch

Toast, the food of the gods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sweeties

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

bluewolf wrote: »
    sweeties

Yeah?

• Advertisement

I changed my mind after Bluewolf reminded me of sweets.

Chunky Kit-Kats and Malteasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

I could honestly live without carbs. As long as I have protein and loads of veg then I'm happy

Most non-meat foods are carbohydrate including pretty much all veggies. However if I had to choose from something that the media labels as 'carbs' my favourite would probably be bread. I love a good sammich.

I forgot to add maize/corn and sweet potatoes .. and then there are all those ones people don't eat much or not really in this part of the world, or only for health reasons: barley, millet, rye, yams, cassava, quinoa, sorghum, plantains etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I detest pasta in any shape or form. The person who promoted boiled dough as a food could have sold snow to the Eskimos. Utterly tasteless without a sauce. Spuds or bread are a different story. Give me either with just some butter and I'm sorted.

sweeties

Forgot about refined sugar. I should have said "staple foods" instead of carbohydrate source!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Unblessed communion wafers.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I do like a nice bowl of porridge also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Roasted
    Boiled
    Mashed
    Garlic gratin
    Chips
    Croquettes
    Hash Brown's

The spud is definitely the number 1.

Cake and scones.

Ice cream.

Pringles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Brown bread.

I don't even eat much of that though.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Cake and scones.

Ice cream.

Pringles.
    What are your feelings on danishes and cinnamon rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All the carb sources in the poll have to be denatured / cooked in order to make them edible. You'd never eat any of 'em raw.

How do you cook "other"? I always eat it raw.

What are your feelings on danishes and cinnamon rolls

Those pecan Danishes - 10/10 would marry. I wouldn't marry a custard Danish but I'd go all the way. I wouldn't go all the way with an apple Danish, but I would go pretty far, 2nd base at least.

Cinnamon is not my favourite flavour, though I love the smell. My Granddad bakes me Goan Poee bread, and that is my only cinnamon exception. It's gorge.

Cake is a whole other food group. :)

Great to see spuds running away with the poll.

/ wipes tear from eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I pound whole yams directly into my asshole with a hilariously oversized wooden mallet.

E: Wait, what was the question again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I have a balanced diet that doesn't take much heed of the latest online dietary fads. I had a plate of German cured meats, cheese, pickles and black bread only 3 hours ago. That said; potatoes are my preferred carb source. I grew up eating them as part of almost every dinner, and still include them at least 4 times a week in my main meal of the day. They are delicious and nutritious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Vegtables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

I don't appreciate the spud - I find it bland. Although it's lovely when stuff is added to it (like potato gratin).

My favourite carbs are pasta and bread.

The whole anti carbs craze was taking "Carbs are not as good for you as previously thought, particularly refined carbs, so it would be a good idea to reduce them" to mean "Have no carbs at all whatsoever if you want to be healthy". Atkins was a mad phase - when it said "No carbs", it meant it to a tee, so that meant not even vegetables, a source of vital nutrients. And you need fibre - the constipation of Atkins diet followers must have been something extraordinary.

You could probably live without a lot of carbs, like non wholegrain bread, pasta, potatoes and rice, so I do limit them (as they are high in calories, cause a blood-sugar crash and just make me hungry quickly - that includes porridge; I don't find porridge filling at all, however two eggs and brown bread is a perfect breakfast for me) but I would never give those carbs up completely.

Nor beer.

I have a balanced diet that doesn't take much heed of the latest online dietary fads. I had a plate of German cured meats, cheese, pickles and black bread only 3 hours ago. That said; potatoes are my preferred carb source. I grew up eating them as part of almost every dinner, and still include them at least 4 times a week in my main meal of the day. They are delicious and nutritious.

Yeah I eat potatoes most days for my dinner and I feel much better than when I go a few days eating mostly bread, pasta or rice - the first two especially leave me feeling bloated and sluggish. I don't know how the English throughout the centuries were able to put up with eating mostly bread, supplemented typically with just a little butter, cheese or occasionally salted bacon. Potatoes are much more satiating than the others too so it's easy to limit the amount you eat and still be full. Much more nutritious too than wheat based foods. Rice to me is just not tasty at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement