Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface Pro 4

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Its just a phone call to the bank, takes about 10 mins and 3 weeks or so later, you get your 300 bucks back. 10 minute call isnt a big deal and a refund of 300 quid for the sake of a short phonecall seems to be worth it to me at least.

You need to have your card cancelled anyway, otherwise you're at risk of this happening again, and again and again.

All done and dusted many months ago, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Great service, I got an email this morning to say a replacement is already on its way.. Happy out... Thank you for the help on this..

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Well I've had my surface pro 4 for a couple of weeks now, mostly impressed but the high res screen is playing havoc with my most used programs, Sage 50 for one is almost unusable and no amount of scaling changes improve matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

The_Chap wrote: »
    Well I've had my surface pro 4 for a couple of weeks now, mostly impressed but the high res screen is playing havoc with my most used programs, Sage 50 for one is almost unusable and no amount of scaling changes improve matters!

As much as I'd like to add that to the list of bugs with the surface pro 4, its not actually a fault of the device.

IF you use sage on any pc with that high of a res it will look terrible.

I have the same issue with photoshop elements 10. Adobe's answer is for me to buy their latest version of elements.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    As much as I'd like to add that to the list of bugs with the surface pro 4, its not actually a fault of the device.

IF you use sage on any pc with that high of a res it will look terrible.

I have the same issue with photoshop elements 10. Adobe's answer is for me to buy their latest version of elements.

Are you guys running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yet? Apparently there's been some improvements made to how Windows scales Legacy apps, like Notepad for example. Here's an article on it.

From reading it though, it sounds like they still need the developers of those apps to patch their apps, which is kinda the crux of the matter in the first place. At least now it's only adding one line of code in, but I still can't see companies/developers spending time/money working on older software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

My 5 year old Asus laptop has packed it in so it's time to get a new device. From all that I've read the Surface Pro 4 seems like the ideal replacement for me but I'm wondering if it's best at this stage to hold on for the new SP5. The problem is I'm reading as many guesses of an October announcement on that, as an April one. I can hold out until April but October is definitely too far off.

So, what are people's opinions - would an SP4 still be a good purchase this late in the cycle? How does it stack up after a year of use or more? And if the SP5 is announced in April how much of a tumble will SP4 prices likely take?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

SP4 has lots of life left in it so there's no harm staying behind the latest curve, especially if it's for replacing a much older machine.

As for price drops, there'll be a huge gap between the announcement and availability. A bigger gap then for arrival on our shores.

I'd say your best bet is to buy SP4 now, from abroad if possible. Huge disparity in pricing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I find the Surface Pro 4 to be an excellent piece of kit. I've had mine for about a year now (core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD) and it's still running like a charm and unless the Surface Pro 5 has some fantastic feature that I've never thought of, then I would be perfectly happy to continue with it.

If you can find a deal where you get the Type Cover included, then go for that. I got mine from a place in the ilac centre for €899 - I couldn't say no at that price.

Side note: If you want to use it for playing games, however, I wouldn't recommend this model. It'll handle some older games (e.g. Star Wars the Old Republic, that type of thing) OK but more modern games, forget about it (Killer Instinct will run in brutal resolution no effects, no chance for anything like Forza or Halo 5 )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Garry Logan

I would not consider my Surface Pro 4 as the best replacement for my laptop.

The keyboard is just too flimsy for serious typing.

Don't get me wrong, I love the gadget and use it quite a bit. But not as my main workhorse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Thanks for the feedback all - I bought the Surface Pro 4 in Harvey Norman in the end. I'm finding it pretty much as I expected / hoped so far and particularly like using it in portrait mode when attached to my big keyboard and mouse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I would not consider my Surface Pro 4 as the best replacement for my laptop.

The keyboard is just too flimsy for serious typing.

Don't get me wrong, I love the gadget and use it quite a bit. But not as my main workhorse.

Surface Book, on the other hand, is amazing. Typing on it is a joy. The only keyboard related quibble I have is the up and down keys are half height, two keys in the space of one. You do get used to it, but it could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Anyone else have the intermittent issue with battery not charging when plugged in?

Ms told me to reset the device now after trying sending on the battery report

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Anyone else have the intermittent issue with battery not charging when plugged in?

Ms told me to reset the device now after trying sending on the battery report

Yep, it's a stock issue at this point.
    I get around it by keeping the charger unplugged from the mains until It's needed.

Yep, it's a stock issue at this point.
    I get around it by keeping the charger unplugged from the mains until It's needed.

Thanks. Should it be covered under warranty?

I bought it via ms uk online store 23 months ago

Thanks. Should it be covered under warranty?

I bought it via ms uk online store 23 months ago

No idea. I expect their would have been a patch by how, if it was software issue

My surface pro 4 has developed the flickering issue

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4230448/surface-pro-4-screen-flicker

Onto support and they tried to say it is not covered when their site clearly states it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

My surface pro 4 has developed the flickering issue

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4230448/surface-pro-4-screen-flicker

Onto support and they tried to say it is not covered when their site clearly states it is

Why did they say its not covered?
    Once the device has no other damage, setup a service repair, and you will get a replacement device within the week.

Davy wrote: »
    Why did they say its not covered?
    Once the device has no other damage, setup a service repair, and you will get a replacement device within the week.

Twitter hep says yes. Phone support say no. I guess they’re playing hardball on phone.

They’ve emailed me to say I determined that your device has a screen flickering, which isn't cover in replacement process (only scramble is).

I’ve yet to reply

Advertisement