Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2016 cursed

Options
  • 02-07-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

The list of celebrity deaths in 2016 is growing daily. On the thread of Caroline Ahernes death someone asked is this year cursed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Most of them famous people were old like

Is it not to be expected a bit??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

No. Curses aren't real.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

It's going to get worse and worse as the years go by. Megastars in the 60's, 70's, 80's are starting to get on a bit now so it's only natural that it happens.

I'm not looking forward to 2076 when Keith Richards finally kicks the bucket :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Most of them famous people were old like

Is it not to be expected a bit??

Caroline Ahern was only 52

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Life is the curse. We're dying from the day we're born!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Celebrities die every year and Im sure every year people say similar things

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The numbers were crunched and it seems it might just be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sad, knew Caroline Aherne was fighting cancer as she had time off from Gogglebox.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There's people dying these days that never died before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Not this fücking thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh noes, what are the glossy mags going to do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Who would have cursed it though?

I have heard about people getting cursed. Football fields getting cursed. Even gypsy caravans getting cursed.
    But never heard of a year getting cursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Archeron

It's going to get worse and worse as the years go by. Megastars in the 60's, 70's, 80's are starting to get on a bit now so it's only natural that it happens.

I'm not looking forward to 2076 when Keith Richards finally kicks the bucket :(

Or 2324 when Cher finally expires. Although I've seen the future and according to it, by then they'll both be heads in jars. And a pizza delivery boy will save the earth a number of times
    Rip Caroline Aherne I, liked her a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

It would help if there wasn't a threadload of insincerity posted every time any celebrity of any level died.

No offense to the woman that just died but it isn't as if people on here were talking about her all the time/at all up until her RIP thread appeared. Empty sentiment.

There seems to be a lot more....indulgence in grief though, possibly prompted by social media. I have seen people I know wail and mourn celeb deaths when they had never even mentioned previously names. One friend who wasn't even into grunge was almost overcome by Scott Weilands passing, I think Alan Rickman may have passed and he suddenly became some icon of film.

For all that, Caroline Aherne was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Hopefully the cult of celebrity will die. I morn non of their deaths.

Sure they entertained me in some way but they never touched my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Yeah mystic Michelle (the local medium) told me someone i know was going to pass and already Ali, prince and many other people have passed.

There seems to be a lot more....indulgence in grief though, possibly prompted by social media. I have seen people I know wail and mourn celeb deaths when they had never even mentioned previously names. One friend who wasn't even into grunge was almost overcome by Scott Weilands passing, I think Alan Rickman may have passed and he suddenly became some icon of film.

For all that, Caroline Aherne was very funny.

The current thread about her in AH is frankly sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

It's not so much that more celebrities are dying, we just have so many more celebrities than we ever did. Television created more than ever before and the explosion in channels meant finding more talent to fill them. I wonder how big the obituary file is getting at the BBC?

I've been amazed by the social grief people seem to suffer these days, Princess Diana was one of the first I saw of just utter madness. Never understood it, never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The current thread about her in AH is frankly sickening.

Was she even that famous? I had to google her name. I imagine a fair few people in that thread had to do likewise.

• Advertisement

Was she even that famous? I had to google her name. I imagine a fair few people in that thread had to do likewise.

If you didn't watch the BBC over the past couple of decades you'd have no idea who she was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Just wait until the asteroid hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

666 + 666 + 666 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 2016

So, yeah kinda.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

You have to be kidding - more people are refugees now than at any time during the 2nd world war, there's been hundreds of them drowning in the mediterranean, who knows how many thousand killed, maimed and tortured in war-torn countries, and you wonder if the year is cursed because a few celebrities have kicked the bucket? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Harambe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

My predictions for who else will die this year:
    - Norman Wisdom
    - Prince Albert of Mons
    - That lad in the TV ad with the cat
    - Mossley the Mocker
    - Dan Dooley
    - Doodai Fyhed
    - Kong Jong On Tai
    - Hitler Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I was cursed by a tinker once when I wouldn't buy a doormat of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Hurt - Flowers

No curse. As per the lyrics "We're all going to die"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

wakka12 wrote: »
    Celebrities die every year and Im sure every year people say similar things
    No there has been a noticeable higher number of high profile deaths than average this year - some just being due to age, or not being terribly old but their lifestyles accelerated their demise. A few early deaths though - Prince was a shocker. Not that I think it's a curse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Just wait until the asteroid hits.

This One?

http://www.asteroidmission.org/objectives/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Advertisement