Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why "for export"

Options
  • 19-08-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

I see many ads with "ideal for restore or export'

Why export?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I see many ads with "ideal for restore or export'

Why export?
    They may believe that their overpriced heap of junk is worth more to someone exporting it. Or they heard that model sells well elsewhere...
    Otherwise, I would ask the seller what he means by that, especially in a country where car export procedures are non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Where are you seeing these ads? I've been looking at cars on eBay UK and see this text quite often. I guessed, though may be overthinking it, that there may be a script that automatically inserts the text into the auction if the viewer is using a foreign IP address. I'm probably talking rubbish though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Generally it tends to be in ads for cars with big engines - translation " now that this car is 10 years old it will cost more than it is worth each year to tax it in this ridiculous country so it's ideal for export to a more car friendly and less throw away country" 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

not too many UK types going to be buying Irish classics with the exchange rate at 1.15

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

Why for export?
    Sometimes cars (and engines, panels) are worth more exported than sold here.
    I will give you two examples based on my own personal experience.
    I worked in England as a vehicle dismantler in a scrapyard for years.
    One customer from Israel came in twice a year to fill up a 20 foot ships container with specific engines, gearboxes, wings, doors.
    Reason being, Israel doesn't manufacture carparts. They don't have the equivalent of Micksgarage or Eurocarparts etc.
    And although they wouldn't have all the same cars as in the UK, many of them they do have; and they need said parts.
    Even with shipping and import duty he could make profit on what he paid for the parts in the UK for export. He would often buy a whole car for breaking, and just have the doors, engine, wings off it.
    The other regular came in monthly to buy Mercedes engines and gearboxes only. He used to fill a container up with them and ship them to Nigeria where there was a demand for them. Everything from 190d engines to 814 truck engines.
    At the time in both cases these would have a limited UK demand and price. But ideal for export where they would sell for 2 or 3 times more than in the UK.
    Sellers know this, some cars are ripe for export; but in simple terms; they are worth f.uck all in Ireland.
    So its a case of the seller knowing the market, and targeting it; highlighting that a car is ideal for export.

• Advertisement
Advertisement