Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Absolute Best Cold water wetsuit

Options
  • 01-07-2016 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have decided that I am going to purchase the absolute best cold water suit.
    Can anyone tell me what is the best suit on the market.
    What do you recommend.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

C skins,excel,rip cuel... all make excellent suits it's down to finding one that fits you properly

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Patagonia...but you'll pay for dearly for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Also depends if you want a summer suit, a winter suit or one that'll do for the year - some suits are now just to damned hot for summer

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

As somebody said above its all about fit. All wetsuits by major players these days are all on par with each other. They all keep you extremely warm in the Winter regardless. Paying that crazy money for Patagonia is madness, RIp Curl/C-Skins are just as good, they all are. Difference between top end C-Skins and top end Patagonia is nearly 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I agree with the above. Personally I swear by c-skins, but realistically at the top end of the range there's not much in it and it comes down to personal choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Fit is important with a wetsuit. Try a few different brands in your size the cut of one brand might suit you better than another. Should be a snug fit without being restricting.

Another consideration is what you will be using the wetsuit for - diving, sailing, swimming, surfing, kayaking, board sailing, kite surfing,... different sports have different requirements in a wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Thanks for the info people, anyone recommend somewhere on-line or bricks and mortar that would be a good place to purchase ?
    Also would you actually go into the shop and try it on ? (Guess my question here is how do I verify the what's my best size?)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

6541 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info people, anyone recommend somewhere on-line or bricks and mortar that would be a good place to purchase ?
    Also would you actually go into the shop and try it on ? (Guess my question here is how do I verify the what's my best size?)

Yes, if you don't know your size, you should go to a shop & try on...but if you do that, do the shop a favour & buy it there.
    I own Quiksilver, O'Neill, Billabong & Rip Curl suits so know my size in all so am happy to buy online...I started buying in our local shop years ago, but that has since closed. Always support your local shop/shaper if you can!
    Wetsuit brand sizes vary slightly...so a L in one might be a MT in another! Important to get the size right or you'll be chilly especially in winter water!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

6541 wrote: »
    Absolutely go in and try on, the small differences in cut between brands can make a big difference in comfort. Nothing worse than feeling constricted on the arms or shoulders if having to do a lot of paddling out or having baggy areas that pool water, under the arms or small of back in particular. The neck should be snug enough to prevent cold water flushing into the wetsuit.

For a little more versatility consider a winter suit with a removable hood. This would extend the comfort season for wearing the wetsuit from early Autumn to late Spring / almost Summer in Ireland.

And do buy where you try if you want shops to be there next time you are looking for something. Too many good local shops have closed down or changed into fashion wear shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Hi All I am gonna bump this thread.
    So I want to pull the trigger on this.
    Can anyone recommend a bricks and Mortar shop.
    I will go anywhere, but I am based in the West.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Rule of thumb, try buying from a shop either close to you or close to where you surf - just means that if something goes wrong you dont have to go far to get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

John in Sunset Sail Watersports, based in Sligo, is excellent to buy from and will usually have a broad range of suits available to try on at reasonable prices that are competitive.

He also does online sales and can advise with fitting plus if there are returns he'll be easier to deal with being relatively local.

Address: Adelaide St, Sligo
    Phone: (071) 916 2792

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bought my C-Skins suit from there a few years ago, well recommended.

Advertisement