Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Curry Recipe

Options
  • 12-08-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Ok. So I've been reading here lots of people want to know how to make chinese take away curry sauce at home. I'm chinese expat and work at restaurant, so here you go free.

(Sorry Im still learning English and teacher says start writing practice. This is my writing practice and my apology also ! But free curry for your patience )

First, chinese curry is not really chinese but like also fish and chips is not Italian but we still do these things good. Ok so now recipe for 2 people and just add up to increase people numbers and according to your taste. It really is very simple....never bother with that things pre made in plastic tub. Restaurant never do this never ever !

Most chinese take away kitchens in Ireland use star anise but I prefer fennel seeds (Do not crush) My say is try whole fennel seeds first.

Ingredients:

1 small onion rough chop

1/2 small / medium onion cut lengthways and devided into 3 pieces. This is for end of dish as last flavour (Not cut in to circles but long pieces. Like a bananna shape)

Table spoon oil (peanut very good but also rape seed good - never ever sunflower oil or olive oil)

1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds never crushed.

1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes or to taste but some is very good.

Tablespoon all purpose flour - never self raising or strong flour unless really stuck in kitchen.

1/2 Chicken stock cube / or / veg stock cube - my favourite is chicken cube, best flavour. I use 1/2 cube or to taste. Some have more salt than others so start at 1/4 and add to taste.
    1/4 - 1/2 litre water approx. In my kitchen I use my own chicken stock but stock cube is ok. If you use a liquid stock always check the salt levels and adjust to taste and discount the water in this recipe.

Sometimes I use chinese 5 spice but only if fennel seeds not big flavour - so use 5 spice with BIG warning - Me I dont like 5 spice in curry or do my customers and complained.

First, very gently fry onion (number one on ingredient list) with the oil so no colour just soft - maybe 5 - 10 mins on low heat until you see through onion.

Add stock cube off the heat and mix in. Do not add water yet !

Return pot to low heat and add all flour and mix and stir for about 1 & 1/2 mins. Like chefs making a rue but with mixed ingredients.

Now add the chilli flakes and continue stiring on low heat for 1/2 minute always make care not to burn. But should have nice yellow / light brown color when this part is ready.

Now add water and fennel seeds. Bring to gentle boil then reduce heat immediately to low heat / and simmer for 20 - minutes until fennels and other favours develop. Adjust liquid levels to make you prefered consistency / thickness.

When finished cooking, pass sauce through a sieve or fine net to remove seeds and onion parts etc.

The above is your base sauce and you can add chicken, prawns, beef, veg etc after sauce is cooked. Always cook your meats with care. Never boil and never raw. Always gentle with chinese curry. Always gentle is the big tip.

Finally, after meat / veg is cooked add other half of onion (number two on ingredient list - bananna shape) and gently heat for 1 or 2 minutes maximum. Not cook this onion only remove harsh taste but still crunchy and sweet.

When I make this sauce for my Irish friends at home I sometimes add some szechuan peppers with the fennel seeds - usually 1/2 teaspoon but crush the peppers first (do not crush fennels seeds)- I never buy pre-crushed seeds for anything ever. No good flavour ! Always sieve chinese curry sauce as above before adding meats / or / veg.

Finally, another BIG tip. To keep chicken soft and tender - dust chicken pieces in corn flour before adding to sauce. Shaken of excess before adding. This is big chinese secret for soft chicken pieces in sauce.

Enjoy this very simple authentic chinese curry sauce...so easy. Never add curry powders or anything else. We never ever do ! So easy. Just try it !

Chinese Chef

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Excellent stuff. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChineseChef

So happy you understood my very bad english. Teacher refused to help. She says it makes me stronger. Very hard woman but very good !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Definitely going to try this out in the next couple of days, it looks really simple and easy to follow - thank you!

(I've written up recipes myself a few times so I know how tough it can be to get everything in the right order - this is really clear and well-structured :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

So happy you understood my very bad english. Teacher refused to help. She says it makes me stronger. Very hard woman but very good !

Keep posting here! It will improve your English a lot.

I think lots of people would love to know tricks and recipes from a Chinese chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChineseChef

Hi all,
    Just remember if you fennels seeds no good for flavor USE a tiny pich of 5 spice at start of cooking and adjust at end. BIG warning. 5 spice can be very strong and some european blends no good. But a little is good. Also use stock cube and flour (RUE) to get good colour. I use chinese 5 spice mix that has a symbol of winners cup on yellow background with red winners cup. Not no translation. Its in chinese. So happy cooking. Also remember use onion at end for final flavor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Good recipe. Would you mind posting your version of hot and sour soup? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Has anybody tried this?
    I'm amazed there are not more spices in the curry.
    Will try it soon when I get time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Thanks, ChineseChef.

It's always funny/irritating how far off these "chip shop" or "curry house" sauces in shops are. They taste like crap.

I will try this recipe, for sure. Would love to able to make that thick mild curry sauce you usually get in Chinese places.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

I can't believe just how easy this sounds. Thanks for posting. Has anyone made it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I made it, i cooked it down too much and the recipe above yielded very little sauce, but the taste was uncannily like what you get from the local Chinese.

• Advertisement
Advertisement