Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heathrow duty free, recommend a whisky

• 16-08-2016 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

I'll be passing thru Heathrow next week, and will be looking to pick up a nice whisky at duty free prices.

What's would you recommend.
    I generally go for the likes of laphroaigh or lagavullen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Based on your preference for Islay whisky I'd recommend checking out out Bowmore 12 or Talisker 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Based on your preference for Islay whisky I'd recommend checking out out Bowmore 12 or Talisker 10.

i actually have a bottle of Talisker 10, sitting in the press from my last visit to heathrow.

I'll check out Bowmore 10

any other recommendations ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Talisker dark storm is a travel retail only and absolutely gorgeous. Likewise I was lucky enough to try Laphroaigs last travel retail release Brodir and it's excellent,port finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Old Pulteney 17 is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Avoid Laphroaig QA Cask (its a travel retail "special").

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭mikeecho

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Old Pulteney 17 is excellent.

Is that in the duty free..

Couldn't find it on the Heathrow website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,559 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Trond wrote: »
    Avoid Laphroaig QA Cask (its a travel retail "special").

Its actually gone on general sale due to "popular demand", or quite possibly "nobody sodding buying it in airports".

Got it dirt cheap in Copenhagen Airport non-duty-free as they seem to do some sort of odd VAT deal there and drink is actually cheap in Denmark off-sale (on sale is hideously dear, but a corner shop will sell a bottle of Tullamore Dew for €13).

If you like a ball of smoke and nothing behind it its grand, I'm sure... ended up drinking most of it with Irn Bru and then leaving the last quarter of a litre or so with a mate who'll drink anything.

Travel Retail Exclusives are more often crap than good - they're very young spirit fiddled with in any way the distillery/blender can think of to make it taste less young and seem 'special'.

Advertisement