Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Au Pair with low level of English?

Options
  • 17-08-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there!

I'm writing this on behalf of a good friend of mine. She wants to come and live in Dublin for a while, to improve her English. The challenge is that she needs to find some sort of job or an English course that comes with free accommodation and/or work placements, or something along those lines. She needs some sort of income in order to afford to stay here.

She has a degree in event animation and all of her work is done with children (parties/events, Summer camps...), so I was thinking she could be an Au Pair. However, her level of English is basic, so I was wondering if:

- There are English schools in Dublin that do Au Pair placements (= free accommodation)

- There are foreign people living in Dublin willing to have an au pair who speaks other languages (she speaks Portuguese, Italian and Spanish) while she takes an English language course

Or really any other magical solution for my friend's dilemma that you guys might know of!

Thanks in advance for your replies and suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Howdy!

From an Au Pair perspective, it depends on how basic her English is. we've had a few Au Pairs and done plenty of interviews with potential candidates. In all that time, I've only written off one girl for too little English and that was because she brought a friend to translate for her so I had no confidence that she had any English at all. Our current Au Pair had ok English, she could understand most of what we were talking about but spoken English wasn't great when she first got here but it has come on leaps and bounds since.

There is definitely a market for Au Pairs with other languages, Ireland is that diverse now that there are family's with Portuguese, Italian and Spanish as their primary languages, but if she can stumble along in English, she may be able to find a family.

Another potential avenue for employment would be localisation. Some places would be happy to have someone who could speak multiple languages here, I know one or two video games companies based in Dublin that do this primarily, but with those she would need some English also to work with management who are almost always Irish.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement