Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stargate Universe

Options
  • 06-04-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

I have been re-watching Stargate Universe these past couple of days and I know it has its critics but I'm really enjoying it. I liked it the first time round but I think it gets better on second watching. It's has an entirely different pace to the other Stargate franchises but it has its own unique appeal in my opinion.

I really feel its a massive shame it got screwed over so badly with its scheduling on SyFy when it picked up WWE of all things.

Has anyone given it a second watch, if so what are peoples opinions on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

token56 wrote: »
    Has anyone given it a second watch, if so what are peoples opinions on it?

You're spot on, the show is much better the second time around. I love Universe, such a shame it got cancelled, as it was really starting to find its feet in season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

It's a show that benefits being able to watch in bulk I think. It would be perfect for a platform for Netflix. Unfortunately it's too far gone for it ever to be brought back at this stage. Also MGM own all the Stargate and based on the other thread seem to only interested in a reboot. Very sad overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I agree, I hated it when I had to wait week to week for episodes but once it finished I watched it back to back in 3-4 days and absolutely loved it. I've watched it 5 times so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just finished a run through of SGU again, such a shame it was cancelled felt the 2nd season had a lot of good in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

SG was a great series

Atlantis was better imo

SGU was better again imo

totally underated series and a shame it's gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

What's an even greater shame is that they never released season 2 on blu-ray :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

nc19 wrote:
    SG was a great series

nc19 wrote:
    Atlantis was better imo

nc19 wrote:
    SGU was better again imo

nc19 wrote:

Just re watched the series on Netflix over the last few days

Such a pity it only had 2 seasons.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye it was much better the second time around. the 3rd time around the music had grown on me even more :)

I said it when it aired that it focused too much on character ****e early on. Season 1 is about setting up the Lore and sharing as much as the shows bible with the viewers.

The Rush/Young stuff was brilliant, i was totally on Rush's side. that young is a maniac, the only time Rush did something questionable was early on when the nicotine and caffeine withdrawal hit him!

SG1 is still the best though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nc19 wrote: »
    SG was a great series

Atlantis was better imo

SGU was better again imo

SG was great, so was SGU, but Atlantis was woeful, watchable but woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SirJoker

What? Wtf... SGU sucked... SG-1 was probably the best although my favorite character is Rodney McKey from Atlantis so I really like that as well.

• Advertisement

SirJoker wrote: »
    What? Wtf... SGU sucked... SG-1 was probably the best although my favorite character is Rodney McKey from Atlantis so I really like that as well.

Wonderful thing about opinions.

SG-1 was the best, although it had some stinkers in there, I found Landry painful to watch but it is mainly fond memories.

Atlantis was just annoying (at least in my memory), I found Teyla to be just awful. I should go back and rewatch it though as I seen it from start to finish and remember very little.

I found SGU to be good, it wasn't SG-1, had a bit to much of the everyone is a prettyboy thing going on. Robert Carlisle was just fantastic. Probably it's main downside was that it tried to copy BSG in its style, camera work and failed miserably, although they seemed to copy the one plot piece from BSG that was slatted by everyone very early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

nc19 wrote: »
    Just re watched the series on Netflix over the last few days

Such a pity it only had 2 seasons.....

Is it on Netflix? (sgu) I cannot see it ? !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I kind of lost interest in SG-1 after the soft reboot (Bringing in the folks from Farscape). They were OK but the woman from Andromeda was terrible and Beau Bridges was just...... AWFUL. I believe Don S Davis left due to health (And died shortly after) but I always thought he was great and the biggest loss. I stuck through to the end but the Ori just never did it for me.

I just found Atlantis boring and gave up about 1/2 way through. Never engaged with the characters really.

I really liked SGU but I can absolutely see why fans are divided: It certainly wasn't as fun and optimistic as SG-1. The tone trying to emulate Battlestar.
    I think Netflix/Amazon etc would give it a good go. It did need a bit more focus than just simply surviving which season 1 was about but, keep the tone/style but have a more concrete arc and it would be a goer. Pity.

I kind of lost interest in SG-1 after the soft reboot (Bringing in the folks from Farscape). They were OK but the woman from Andromeda was terrible and Beau Bridges was just...... AWFUL. I believe Don S Davis left due to health (And died shortly after) but I always thought he was great and the biggest loss. I stuck through to the end but the Ori just never did it for me.
    It went really down hill, a poor character who really just never came across as a General. Don grew as a character and was believable (in as much as you can be). Beau was more like a person promoted above his station due to bureaucracy. Claudia Blacks character was beyond stupid, T'ealc made sense, a soldier, military experience, could follow command. Never happen but from a viewing perspective was great, Claudias was like they hired a spoilt child for ****s and giggles.
    I just found Atlantis boring and gave up about 1/2 way through. Never engaged with the characters really.
    Same here, I don't know when I gave up though, I have a feeling I watched it through once but it just wasn't great.
    I really liked SGU but I can absolutely see why fans are divided: It certainly wasn't as fun and optimistic as SG-1. The tone trying to emulate Battlestar.
    I think Netflix/Amazon etc would give it a good go. It did need a bit more focus than just simply surviving which season 1 was about but, keep the tone/style but have a more concrete arc and it would be a goer. Pity.
    Loved SGU, it certainly stylised itself on BSG but the stories were more stand alone and similar in tone, if not as light hearted as SG1. I was hoping they would start an arc after season one, just get them settled in first. All this said, it achieved something most series don't, it had an OK ending, albeit open ended but I presume we can safely say there will be no one off movie now.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

My Thoughts on Stargate Universe (Major Spoilers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Is it on Netflix? (sgu) I cannot see it ? !

That was 3 years ago, so it likely was then, while not being there now.

Advertisement