Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

These look incredible. Any chance you could post up or PM me the recipe for them please?

I pretty much just winged it by combining two recipes together. I'll make them again and write down what I'm doing and pm you the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I pretty much just winged it by combining two recipes together. I'll make them again and write down what I'm doing and pm you the recipe.

Thank you so much, I can't wait to try them :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a victoria sponge today :)

2qxrz3r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I've only just discovered this thread. Can I join!?

Yesterday I made carrot cake muffins - just divided up Rachel Allen's carrot cake recipe from her Bake book. It's the nicest carrot cake I have ever tried and has ruined me for any other. The orange cream cheese icing really sets it off (the book measurements are off though). No pics I'm afraid.

Also a cold tea brack. It is a major hit with my father in-law and was done as a thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Welcome Rogueish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Rogueish wrote: »
    I've only just discovered this thread. Can I join!?

Yesterday I made carrot cake muffins - just divided up Rachel Allen's carrot cake recipe from her Bake book. It's the nicest carrot cake I have ever tried and has ruined me for any other. The orange cream cheese icing really sets it off (the book measurements are off though). No pics I'm afraid.

Also a cold tea brack. It is a major hit with my father in-law and was done as a thank you.

I love Cold Tea brack, I use the Odlems recipe.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I love Cold Tea brack, I use the Odlems recipe.

Me too. I find that it is very forgiving if you want to add in extra fruit, reduce sugar or increase overall quantity. Also quite nice if you want to add in a glug of whiskey to the tea when soaking the fruit.

I made Faiths' Sweet Fruit Scones from the cooking club yesterday. It made 17 good size scones. I had visitors over Saturday evening and we had them with strawberry jam, whipped cream, fresh sliced strawberries and fresh coffee. The kids loved them. They were all gone by yesterday evening.

The kids (especially the 3yo) gave out to me this morning because they were all gone. I'll definitely be baking another batch before the end of the week!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

CpSbGYeWcAAkln6.jpg:small

Coffee and walnut cake to impress the in-law's. Reckon I did a good job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

that looks divine!

• Advertisement

I would literally kill for a slice of that right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭dee_mc

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dee-mc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/20160807_200830_zpsxapojjyd.jpg.html
    My first major tiered wedding cake - 14, 12, 10 and 8 inch layers. Bottom tier is a ring of rocky road made with the couple's favourite biscuits and pretzels, with a rich chocolate brownie cake sandwiched and topped with chocolate ganache inside the ring. Next tier is a very moist 3 layer lemon drizzle cake sandwiched with lemon curd. Next is a 3 layer Vic sponge with raspberry jam. Top layer is a pistachio, cardamom and orange cake with pistachio buttercream icing. All covered in a really lovely smooth vanilla buttercream.
    I used bubble tea straws instead of dowels for stability and can definitely recommend them - a quick snip of the scissors instead of arsing around sawing dowels to the correct length and sanding off the splinters, no thanks!

It looks amazing dee!

Thanks Dizzy! It was unbelievably stressful but very rewarding and I forgot to add, it tasted amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

That looks unbelievable. I've seen professional cakes that don't look as good. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

fantastic job dee, well done to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Caramel chocolate shortbread with fudge sprinkled on top. It's setting in the fridge with my husbands friend hovering around the fridge waiting impatiently!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Some rocky road for a girls night in tomorrow, I have 2 babies so a night of freedom and chocolate sounds like heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I'm a long time lurker of this thread, but I have to stop myself looking too often as I get the urge to bake :P
    In the past week I've baked scones, chocolate muffins/cupcakes, a marble cake, and chocolate fondant. I love baking but I usually wouldn't bake as much so close together, had a family gathering so I made the first three for that. And the fondant, well everyone deserves a treat :)
    Dee_mc, your cake looks amazing! I'm going to be attempting a tiered cake for the first time soon. I'm thinking of just doing two tiers as I won't have much time on the actual day it's needed. Just wondering if the bubble straws you mentioned would be good enough for a fruit cake on bottom and victoria sponge on top? Thanks :)

Hi Wanderer! If it's a rich fruit cake you probably wouldn't even need the straws - it should be dense/robust enough to support the weight of a Vic sponge. If it's a less dense fruit cake the straws would be a great idea. They will support as much weight as wooden dowels will, on the principle that straws are very difficult to bend or break once they are sealed top and bottom (think of holding a straw between two fingers and trying to bend it - practically impossible because it's full of air).
    If you're covering the cakes in fondant, ice them first then cut your straws to exactly the height of the cake. If the fruit cake rises unevenly you should trim it so it's level before icing.
    If you're using buttercream, consider not icing the middle of the bottom tier - slap the top layer on and them ice the two cakes at the same time.You just need a cake card (rather than a thick board) between the two cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I wish I could bake. This thread is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Made peanut butter granola bars today. A bit too crumbly but they were lovely. Only had one square and freezed the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Hi any chance of a recipe for the peanut granola bars, thanks

florawest wrote: »
    Hi any chance of a recipe for the peanut granola bars, thanks

I copied this recipe but multipled everything by 1.5 because I had a bigger tray. I found some math thing online to help you figure out how much extra to use if you have a bigger tray.

I also threw in two eggs to help it hold together.

I left the drizzly bit on top out. And I made my own peanut butter chips but they melted into the thing anyway so that was pointless adding them in. I hope to add chocolate chips next time instead of the peanut butter chips and hope it doesn't melt.

http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/nature-valley-copycat-soft-baked-oatmeal-squares/

The Raptor wrote: »
    I copied this recipe but multipled everything by 1.5 because I had a bigger tray. I found some math thing online to help you figure out how much extra to use if you have a bigger tray.
    Have you a link for the thing to work out the extra ingredients please?

I made brownies recently and they went down a treat with everyone. They were very rich and chocolatey, delicious though. Didn't last long anyway.

A friend gave me the recipe. It was an odlums one that I changed slightly. I'll post it up here if anyone wants it :)

Have you a link for the thing to work out the extra ingredients please?

I made brownies recently and they went down a treat with everyone. They were very rich and chocolatey, delicious though. Didn't last long anyway.

A friend gave me the recipe. It was an odlums one that I changed slightly. I'll post it up here if anyone wants it :)

https://food52.com/blog/13239-how-to-make-your-baking-recipe-fit-your-pan-size

Here's the link to work out how to adapt your recipe to fit your tray size.

Please post your brownie recipe.

https://food52.com/blog/13239-how-to-make-your-baking-recipe-fit-your-pan-size

Here's the link to work out how to adapt your recipe to fit your tray size.

Please post your brownie recipe.
    Thanks a million for this.

Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

225g good quality dark chocolate broken into pieces
    2 small bars of milk chocolate
    225g butter
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 tablespon cocoa powder
    75g plain flour
    22 x 30cm baking tin

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180°C (I have a fan oven and found 165°C to be right for my oven). Line the baking tin with parchment paper.
    Put the butter and chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Don't allow bowl to touch the water. Stir constantly until fully melted and smooth.
    With an electric whisk, whisk the sugar and eggs for 2-3 mins until pale and light.
    Slowly add the melted chocolate/butter and then add the vanilla extract and continue to whisk until thickened.
    Last, add the sifted flour and baking powder and fold in gently.
    Put the mixture into a prepared tin and bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 30 minutes until the brownies have come away from the side of the tin slightly.
    Remove from tin, place on wire tray and allow to cool.

I used the Moser Roth chocolate from Aldi. I used the 70% one and three of the small milk chocolate bars. I also added extra cocoa powder, maybe 1.5 tablespoons in total.

It worked out well, it was very thick when putting on the tray and didn't rise much, but they were very tasty. There wasn't one left over.

Can't wait to try your brownie recipe.

Can't wait to try your brownie recipe.
    Let me know how you find them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi Wanderer! If it's a rich fruit cake you probably wouldn't even need the straws - it should be dense/robust enough to support the weight of a Vic sponge. If it's a less dense fruit cake the straws would be a great idea. They will support as much weight as wooden dowels will, on the principle that straws are very difficult to bend or break once they are sealed top and bottom (think of holding a straw between two fingers and trying to bend it - practically impossible because it's full of air).
    If you're covering the cakes in fondant, ice them first then cut your straws to exactly the height of the cake. If the fruit cake rises unevenly you should trim it so it's level before icing.
    If you're using buttercream, consider not icing the middle of the bottom tier - slap the top layer on and them ice the two cakes at the same time.You just need a cake card (rather than a thick board) between the two cakes.

Many thanks! I'm really looking forward to attempting it, at least I'll have two cakes if it goes wrong :pac:

I made a sponge cake today :)

Advertisement