Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a great red wine for 20 euro or less

Options
  • 06-08-2016 6:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Recommend me a great red wine for 20 euro or less and where to get it, Love all types. From full bodied Spanish Rioja to lighter Pinot Noir's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I would say it's hard to get a great wine for under 20 euros.

There are some recommendations here for good \ nice wines under 10 euros:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97743970&postcount=39

It'd be hard to go wrong in the 15 -20 euros range in any wine-friendly off licence, anything in that price range should be a lovely, very good bottle of wine.

By wine friendly off-licence, I mean an off-licence that has more than just the major brands like Gallo, Wolf Blass, Blossom Hill, Jacobs Creek, Barefoot on the shelves. Those are reliable wines but not ones aspiring to greatness...

Look out for Grand Vins de Bordeaux, Pinot Noir from New Zealand or Chile, Rioja Reservas.
    Usually Italy (especially Sicily), Chile, Portugal offer better value than France or USA.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

There are some good value Spanish reds to be had.

I love this one from the Toro region.

https://www.obrienswine.ie/romanico.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Grand vin in the grand scheme of things means nothing.

Go into an independent wine store and give them a lot more detail than you gave here on the type of wine you like. Or go into more detail here on what you like from a bottle of wine. Otherwise the thread becomes a barage of links to random bottles of wines people have drank and won't really help you.

The 15-20e can be a difficult price range for recommendations and without much information on what you like it's almost impossible to point you in the right direction.

I was in a wine shop recently when the assistant asked what would they like they replied "fruity" ORLY. It makes it really difficult for anyone to help unless you have a good idea or understanding of what it is you're looking for.

I think if you go into an independent off licence, and ask them for a personal recommendation on a Grand Vin de Bordeaux in the 15 - 20 euros price range, and they give you a (not corked) bottle of wine that isn't at least 'very good', that's not an off licence that deserves to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think if you go into an independent off licence, and ask them for a personal recommendation on a Grand Vin de Bordeaux in the 15 - 20 euros price range, and they give you a (not corked) bottle of wine that isn't at least 'very good', that's not an off licence that deserves to survive.

I wanted to make sure that the OP didn't put any value on "Grand vin" it doesn't really guarantee anything. Anyone can put Grand Vin on a bottle it doesn't tell you anything.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    I wanted to make sure that the OP didn't put any value on "Grand vin" it doesn't really guarantee anything. Anyone can put Grand Vin on a bottle it doesn't tell you anything.

Sadly you're right, it's not the standard it should be .. sometimes in combination with "Mis en bouteille au château/domaine", it's a bit more reliable... but I would always welcome a gifted GVdB bottle picked up from an independent off licence in that price range :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

'Apothic' Californian red has started appearing on Tesco (bottom) shelves intermittently. €10 on special, €15 normally and probably the best wine available in Ireland at either of those two prices.

Apothic's sister wine is called 'menage a trois' available for I think €20 in the wine shop in CHQ building in Dublin (sorry if that is not local to you) which is a fantastic wine in my opinion.

Aldi also does a lovely wine at about €8- both a cab sauv and a Pinot noir from same French producer that is one of my favourite wines.

I found the Apothic Red to be too sweet for my tastes... but certainly one to try as it seems to be a 'love or hate' kinda wine and the OP might be in the former category - I'm in the latter.

I like the Menage A Trois though. Actually you might be able to pick one up for €13.99...
    http://mitchellandson.com/wine/type/menage-a-trois-red.html

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Ive had a few lovely bottles of Salice Salentino ( Its Italian) lately usually around 18 quid in Sweeneys off licence in Glasnevin. Not sure where OP is situated. Im sure its generally available.
    Also tried Contrado de Falco same price point, same place, I think it is very decent wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I like Luis Felipe Edwards' pinot noir, a tenner in the local corner shop. I was drinking Fortezza di Colli (Strong Enough for a Collie) from Lidl, but the last bottle I got was vinegary enough that I brought it back.
    Edit: Also a French red called Montflort in Supervalu (originally stocked when it was Superquinn). It comes down to €9 every now and again and is a nice smooth deep wine.

• Advertisement

TedR wrote: »
    Ive had a few lovely bottles of Salice Salentino ( Its Italian) lately usually around 18 quid in Sweeneys off licence in Glasnevin. Not sure where OP is situated. Im sure its generally available.

Dunnes have (or at least had last weekend) a Salice Salentino on offer at €10, bought it but haven't opened it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Go for it!

tell us what you reckon..

They sell it in my local by the glass too, I am fond of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Recommend me a great red wine for 20 euro or less and where to get it, Love all types. From full bodied Spanish Rioja to lighter Pinot Noir's

Hey, you will have to buy a couple of these to get the value but I would recommend this one:
    https://www.superiore.de/index.php?cl=details&anid=vfffb898e0280cf7e8bec54a8002674c

Dunne and Crescenzi sell this in their restaurant for €36 a pop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Advertisement