Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overused hashtags/phrases from social media that make your blood boil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Olishi4 wrote: »
    I used to call it "hash sign"

In the days of dial up it took me flippin ages to find the 'pound' key.

It wasn't '£' as you might think. For some reason our friends in the U.S. call '#' the pound key....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

#whyme

Has a bang of narcissism and Linda Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Does anybody remember when # was just hash, and not hashtag? # is hash, and the 'word' is the tag, the keyword/phrase. I hate...stuff!!!!

#hatethehashtagnotthehash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Caliden wrote: »
    In the days of dial up it took me flippin ages to find the 'pound' key.

It wasn't '£' as you might think. For some reason our friends in the U.S. call '#' the pound key....

And yet, presumably, the word hashtag originated in the US. #bizarre #etymology

What's the point of them anyway? Does it make you searchable or something? What total doze is going to search #blessed or whatever anyway- you will just come up with pages and pages of random rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I hate hash tags and my top three are;
    #squad...anyone that has a friend with them in a picture.
    #goals .....can be used in conjunction with 'squad' for maximum annoyance. Also 'relationship goals.'
    #girlboss.....a lot of bloggers using this at the moment.
    Awful Shiite talk if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

And yet, presumably, the word hashtag originated in the US. #bizarre #etymology

What's the point of them anyway? Does it make you searchable or something? What total doze is going to search #blessed or whatever anyway- you will just come up with pages and pages of random rubbish.

Doesnt it have something to do with what we used to call keywords?
    Internet pages had keywords associated with them and if someone searched for that keyword then the page would appear in the search results.
    Then twitter came along and to make it easy for people to assign keywords to their twits they assigned # to it. So any word in a tweet with a # before it is a keyword that makes it pop up in search results.
    I think.
    Probably.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hashtags in general

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Hashtags in general

#notallhashtags

• Registered Users Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mzungu wrote: »
    #notallhashtags

#allhashtagsmatter

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

#tag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You obviously friended people and allow them to use them on your feeds.

Just sort that out instead of moaning here.

#MillionthThreadThatUsingMediaProperlyWouldAddress

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

#allhashtagsmatter

#jesuishashtag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

Broke the internet. Fcuking hate that one.

And what the fcuk is fitfam? It's actually idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

drake70 wrote: »
    #tag

#taig

(for our northern friends)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Anything that mentions LOL, YOLO, LMFAO.

Fcuking irritates the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gossamer

#stunnin or u luk stunnin hun xx.

Nevermind that the person it's directed at looks like the back of a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

No bog roll in the jacks

#usingmyhandagain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

gossamer wrote: »
    #stunnin or u luk stunnin hun xx.

Nevermind that the person it's directed at looks like the back of a bus.

#buseireann

Cuck, libtard, feminazi, special snowflake, generation me, looney lefty, virtue signalling, white knights, etc., etc., The usual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Winterlong wrote: »
    Doesnt it have something to do with what we used to call keywords?
    Internet pages had keywords associated with them and if someone searched for that keyword then the page would appear in the search results.
    Then twitter came along and to make it easy for people to assign keywords to their twits they assigned # to it. So any word in a tweet with a # before it is a keyword that makes it pop up in search results.
    I think.
    Probably.

makes sense for twitter and instagram but can't understand the point of it on Facebook for example. Plus if you are stupid enough to search fitfam (shudder ) would you actually find anything usable /what you were looking for? !?!

I've thought of one incidentally : #yourwelcome, especially when it's actually spelled like that! that betting app ad on the radio gives me the rage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Candie wrote: »
    Cuck, libtard, feminazi, special snowflake, generation me, looney lefty, virtue signalling, white knights, etc., etc., The usual stuff.
    You forgot Wibbs' cackle gang. Probably didn't take off because he slapped a copyright on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I like funny or pisstaking hashtags, I have to admit.

But yes, #eatclean can fúck right off. :mad: You just know they are mainlining cakes and Big Macs and puking them up once the camera is off them. :pac:

#nofilter is a bit overused but again can be used in a funny way, and I understand when people want to show that what is in the photograph is exactly how it appeared ie. an amazing sunset or unusual clouds.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Not a hashtag but that crying laughing emoji.

The go-to smilie of dickheads.

How did you know my name is Richard Head? :eek:

Not a huge fan of hashtags, but I love emojis.

Emojis capture nuance with brevity. Before I die I will write an anthology of emoji poetry.

Agreed, I love them. Absolutely love them. They are an art form.

My favourite is this one:

http://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/db/d5/dbd57bcbb3fff7245025a39061012200.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The Menz, men-children, mansplaining etc etc are quite obnoxious.

Candie wrote: »
    white knights

'White knighting' is one of the most moronic ones out there. Yes, that dude is just sticking up for some women because he thinks, either consciously or subconsciously that it'll increase his chances of porking one of them. No other reason at all. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That every mildly impressive thing is 'epic' nowadays.

Lol annoys me too, especially when describing something that isn't even funny 'Went to the shop to get some milk, but they didn't have any lol'

That every mildly impressive thing is 'epic' nowadays.

Or 'legendary'. Or 'awesome'. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Nom

I despise that phrase

• Advertisement

@everythingalcoholic.

Oh really, you're having a drink. Fair play, you must be gas. That's a mighty achievement.

Bloody millenials.

Advertisement