Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oliver Hughes, RIP

Options
  • 04-08-2016 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it worth marking the untimely passing of Oliver Hughes last weekend. For those of you who aren't familiar with him - he was one of the founders of The Porterhouse chain & Dingle Distillery.

He was at the forefront of bringing quality international beers to Ireland back in '89 when he started The Porterhouse, opened the first Irish 'brew pub' in '96 & then Dingle Distillery in '14.

I had the pleasure of his company once in the distillery when he let me loose on some samples of the sherry-, port- & bourbon-casked whiskeys that still have to come on the market. (It was a long & unsteady walk back to Dingle town that afternoon. :))

A pioneer of the Irish craft drinks industry & a gentleman. RIP.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

opened the first Irish 'brew pub' in '96
    Because there's never an inappropriate time to nitpick, it was the the second. Biddy Early in Inagh opened the year before.

I feel privileged to have known Oliver. He was always witty, entertaining and honest. His contribution to Irish beer was immeasurable -- without him we literally wouldn't have the tax break which has made small-batch brewing economically viable to the dozens of breweries that opened post-2005. I fear for the future of the Porterhouse as a brewery because he put so much of himself into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

RIP Oliver

Used to drink in the Wavecrest in Bray, which then became the Porterhouse.
    Having the international selection was great for experimenting.
    It was the location of our 1st round the world in 8 beers night, the outcome was not a pretty sight !!!

Advertisement