Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling from LA To New Orleans

Options
  • 12-07-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

I'm asking advise again from the travel experts here!! We are flying to Chicago in 5 weeks and driving from there to LA taking in as much of Route 66 as possible. We did half of route 66 on a previous trip. The Chicago to LA route is more or less organised and booked but we we want to journey back maybe taking in Phoenix, Roswell and other stops along the way to New Orleans before driving back to Chicago.

Any tips on the LA to New Orleans leg of the trip would be very much appreciated!!! Places to see? Not to be missed etc......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Mods could someone move this to US Travel............. I thought I was on that thread!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Any takers? Any help appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its going to be Hot and it will effect how long you can spend outdoors. Phoenix is famous for its searing desert heat. And the South and Mid west for the heat plus humidity. New Orleans in August has tropical levels of humidity and storms (its technically the "off season"), and it stays that way up until St.Louis and even Chicago. Its also Hurricane season in the south.

Having said that, if you're prepared for the heat there should be good deals on hotels. I wouldnt say dont do it or anything. And I have to say I've been to New Orleans a few times but never in august and I'd like to, I think it would be a good time to be there. I've been in mo, ak and IL in august and that was fairly intense. You'd be driving north following the Mississippi river. Its hot humid and can be stormy.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its going to be Hot and it will effect how long you can spend outdoors. Phoenix is famous for its searing desert heat. And the South and Mid west for the heat plus humidity. New Orleans in August has tropical levels of humidity and storms (its technically the "off season"), and it stays that way up until St.Louis and even Chicago. Its also Hurricane season in the south.

Having said that, if you're prepared for the heat there should be good deals on hotels. I wouldnt say dont do it or anything. And I have to say I've been to New Orleans a few times but never in august and I'd like to, I think it would be a good time to be there. I've been in mo, ak and IL in august and that was fairly intense. You'd be driving north following the Mississippi river. Its hot humid and can be stormy.

I figured it would be hot but never thought of hurricanes. We were in nevada/ arizona in July a couple of years ago and experienced the heat. I know us Irishould aren't used to heat.

We booked! We have 10 days,we have family in phoenix so have a couple of days there. We are also stopping in roswell and texas. Really looking forward to new or leans! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Peak hurricane season is mid August to mid early October. Unless you are traveling within that time frame, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if there is a weather event while you there, you'll have plenty of warning, so you'll have plenty of time to head else where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 west20s

I did this trip last summer. A friends parents were getting married in at Elvis's Graceland ranch. Myself my brother and a friend flew from Ireland and the other friend flew in from Australia.We met in San Fran with out any plans other than we had 2 weeks to get to Memphis for the wedding. After that we continued on to New Orleans.

Definitely catch a Sunset at Santa Monica Pier while in LA. The Lads just fell asleep on those Celeb homes tours, unless you have a keen interest in super rich folks houses it might not be worth the time. Three days there we stayed with a friend, they took us out etc
    We continued on to Las Vegas. We AirBnB'd got a house with a pool for three days in a suburb, it was nice and relaxing during the day. Taxis were a nightmare so I would try and stay on the Strip if I go ever go again. Plenty to do in Vegas but 3 days is enough.

Flagstaff was a great stop. Fun town at night. During the day its about half an hour from Sedona, an amazing desert state park there home to the devils bridge. Bring plenty of water you could be out walking for an hour or two, but there are tours available. Also from Flagstaff your not far from the Grand Canyon. Worth seeing if you've never been. We did the quickest tour.
    I wouldn't visit Amerillo, Texas again, nor recommend it. Not much in Albuquerque. Not having a plan lead us to some interesting places, like a giant meteor crater. Getting off the highway for a bit to see some small towns and backroads, the real country, was good for a bit.

Plenty to do in Memphis, especially for Elvis fans. Beale St is fun but be careful at night don't wander too far off from the main streets. New Orleans is fun but humid, Bourbon st is main party area but we only had a 2 days so didn't get to visit plantations or see any gators.

It will depend on how much time you have to spend. We had 3 weeks total. only rented a car for the days we were driving. Still spent a few grand on cars. We bought a little camping cooker in Walmart for 20 dollars. Saved us a fortune in the long run.

Advertisement