Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treated like dirt in a well known bar/restraunt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Faith wrote: »
    Gotta say that I'm disappointed at the standard of responses here.

1. A popular restaurant did not answer its phone after multiple attempts
    2. They had a voicemail system set up
    3. They had an online booking system
    4. The OP attempted to book both by voicemail and online
    5. He had a booking confirmation
    6. The restaurant refused to honour his booking with weak excuses

"We don't check our voicemail" is not a valid excuse. The restaurant was inexcusably wrong in this scenario, so all of the snarky responses are both rude and unhelpful.

Furthermore, the OP mentions that both he and his wife don't dine out often, as they are both very unwell. I think he can be excused for thinking a booking confirmation was all he needed in this case :rolleyes:.

And finally, a quick look at his posting history indicates that he lives in DCN, which is presumably why he drove his family there. The relations were in Athlone; he brought them to his home neighbourhood.

So, yeah, it's great that he could find another restaurant nearby, but that does not excuse the sh*tty customer service and bad business practices from the original place.

+1 to all of this.

OP, I am glad that you found somewhere that accommodated you, and I hope that what happened in the first place didn't ruin the evening. There is no excuse, in my opinion, for the way that you were treated.

I would complain in writing to the owner / manager of the original place. Be very factual in writing about the experience, leave aside all emotion.
    I wouldn't bother mentioning TripAdvisor, in the letter, but I would review the place, on TripAdvisor, based on your bad experience there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

bizzyb wrote: »
    You should have stayed in Athlone and went to Thyme Restaurant, in my opinion one of the best restaurants in the country.
    If you took the time to read the thread, the OP is from Dublin. He drove to Athlone to collect his relatives to bring them back to Dublin as they were flying out from Dublin the following day. He wanted to make their last night special, so he booked a table in a restaurant that he has been to before and would like to bring family to. Had he stayed in Athlone to eat, it is likely that whoever had driven would not be able to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or not relax with the prospect of a longer drive after a heavy meal.

He tried calling. The phone wasn't answered.

He left a voicemail. It wasn't returned.

He had a booking confirmation. It wasn't honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I use computers in my job and have no problems with online shopping, banking etc but I wouldn't make a restaurant booking online in any circumstances. Michael O'Leary knows how many seats are on his plane but a restaurant's capacity is dependent on the size of group bookings and the time people book. Eg a room with 40x2 seats can take 40 couples at 6 Pm and 40 at 8.30 but you will never get bookings as handy as that. You get odd numbers and tables need to be shoved together, groups turn up with an extra body or two and a large group at 7.30 will most likely reduce those tables to one sitting. It definitely takes an experienced, human, brain to do the organisation. If anyone has industry experience of using online reservations I would be curious to hear how it works out.

As regards Tripadvisor, I would rarely use it. You are suspicious of the gushing reviews and the negative ones generally come across as a pompous bore, Tom Doorly wannabe. And wanting to be Tom Doorly should be a capital offence. (my phone wants to post that as Tom Dorky. Says it all really).
    Suppose I'll ask the obvious so, why would a restraraunt offer the facility of online booking if it's impractical to do so as you suggest.

Its blatently clear that the op was treated disgracefully by the restaurant , how or why anyone would try to excuse the restaurants lack of professionalism in dealing with a paying customer with a valid booking or blame him for the poor service he recieved is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Appreciate that you can't name and shame the place here on Boards OP, but if it was me, I'd absolutely SLATE them on Tripadvisor.

Restaurants need to be mindful of the way they treat their customers, and the treatment you received was nothing short of disgraceful.

Not sure you'd get anywhere by writing to the manager...if the staff treated you the way they did, in my eyes, that's a direct reflection on the manager, and his/her, obviously, poor attitude to customer service. Wouldn't say you'd get much satisfaction either way.

Just my two cents - for what it's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I can't believe the number of people on this thread who are more or less telling the OP that's the way it is...What happened to the OP is entirely unacceptable. A restaurant is a SERVICE business. If they can't provide that service after agreeing to via the online booking system, then they need to restore the lost goodwill by offering something else to the OP. No wonder the citizens of Ireland are trampled on by the government, banks, and EU. Get a backbone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭xlogo

this matters not, and is therefore an esoteric question the answer to which will neither confirm nor deny the agreement or the argument between the replier and the original poster.

What a pile of bull nonsense!

Anybody know the name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

percy212 wrote: »
    I can't believe the number of people on this thread who are more or less telling the OP that's the way it is...What happened to the OP is entirely unacceptable. A restaurant is a SERVICE business. If they can't provide that service after agreeing to via the online booking system, then they need to restore the lost goodwill by offering something else to the OP. No wonder the citizens of Ireland are trampled on by the government, banks, and EU. Get a backbone.

Ah, the I want something for free brigade has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

The Muppet wrote: »
    Suppose I'll ask the obvious so, why would a restraraunt offer the facility of online booking if it's impractical to do so as you suggest.

Its blatently clear that the op was treated disgracefully by the restaurant , how or why anyone would try to excuse the restaurants lack of professionalism in dealing with a paying customer with a valid booking or blame him for the poor service he recieved is beyond me.
    I think most people here accept that the OP was treated poorly but are probably wondering is it worth the effort to make a complaint. It's in a scenic location and the OP admits the food is mediocre standard fare but it still gets the crowds out the door particularly during good weather. In my experience these type of pub/restaurants who get a huge footfall by virtue of their location often don't care about the standard of service or the food as they don't need to rely on it. Why would you when the punters will come anyway.

It's very different for other restaurants in a relatively ordinary location who have to work harder for your business in a hugely competitive industry who need to create an atmosphere and rely on the standard of food/customer service to bring in the business. One would expect a professionally run food business in these type of circumstances to take on board complaints and handle them appropriately. There are different factors at play compared to the establishment in the OP. He should still write a review in my opinion as it could save others from the same encounter if they are looking to choose a venue for a special occasion and make them look at alternative options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The Muppet wrote: »

I was not excusing anyone.What happened to the OP was inexcusable on the booking level initially and was downright shocking at the point where he/she arrived at the Restaurant.

I am not involved in the Restaurant trade which is why I was asking does anyone have any practical experience as to how online booking works as I cannot understand how a computer booking could set out table plans and estimate usage times. This is why I feel the need to speak to a human when making a booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Deise Vu wrote:
    I am not involved in the Restaurant trade which is why I was asking does anyone have any practical experience as to how online booking works as I cannot understand how a computer booking could set out table plans and estimate usage times. This is why I feel the need to speak to a human when making a booking.

From my own experience, it's pinged to someones email account and physically written down, in the same book as tel bookings. There's probably more advanced systems where everything is computerized but this is one I came across. If for example the restaurant was now fully booked, and a ping came in, the potential customer would be called and notified that their booking would have to be changed. And ironically, in this restaurant, the restaurant would ring the client the day of to confirm times and numbers. There's probably a few different systems knocking around though, so someone with greater knowledge might chip in.

• Advertisement

PO could write review on TA and post a link on here.

But why can't they name and shame here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

percy212 wrote: »
    If they can't provide that service after agreeing to via the online booking system, then they need to restore the lost goodwill by offering something else to the OP.

They might if they care. But they obviously don't give a damn, and there's no "right" to that.

What they really need to do is either have a functioning online reservation system, or get rid of it off their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

I have not named the restaurant,because I believe in fair play and the right to reply... I managed today Fri 3 day's later to talk to some one in the office /account's(3 option's given on phone extn 1 - reservation's ,no answer - extn 2 -kitchen/trades, no answer -3 being account's),I told the person who answered what had happened,still no''I'm sorry to hear,that or you have a need to complain''.
    I am currently waiting for the GM to ring when he come's on duty at 3.30pm.
    As my wife was saying to me today she has never been as embarrassed or mortified as she was in front of our guest's and other diner's and the Q behind us.
    In her word's - I was spoken too like a piece of dirt, condescending ,rude ,off hand and now will you get out of the way attitude -and this was the so called manageress speaking to me.
    I will of course let you know how I got on , and again thank you all for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Deise Vu wrote: »

The same way any online booking system manages it. Its configured and managed to work based on the business rules.

Clearly this restaurants one doesnt work, that is not to say that it doesnt work elsewhere.

Logistics, scheduling, forecasting etc are all pretty standard things a computer can be programmed to do.

In my own experience a booking system for a restaurant works on the basis that only some of the tables are available in it and those tables have defaults set depending on numbers being booked, plus the user must accept 1 of 2 "sittings". So if a user says there are 8 people, the computer knows to book table number 10 which has 8 settings and is available on the date and then the user can choose an available sitting. Generally if someone tries to book outside of the parameters the computer will just say no and tell you to contact them directly.

You know a horrible thought crossed my mind maybe I'm wrong here - but no - I have just checked the e-mail confirmation and it's all right there.
    I thought I had maybe put in the wrong date for the booking but here's the copy direct from the mail.

Table for 8 on Wednesday, 20 July 2016 at 18:30
    Name:dslam jack | Confirmation #: 9999999999b53
    Please keep this email. Without an OpenTable account, it’s the only way to manage your booking.

So no it's there in black n white ,still no phone call from the GM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

xlogo wrote: »
    What a pile of bull nonsense!

Anybody know the name?
    PO could write review on TA and post a link on here.

But why can't they name and shame here?

Mod Note: Let it go, please. The restaurant is not going to be named here, as it adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. All restaurants should be held to the same high standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Appreciate that you can't name and shame the place here on Boards OP, but if it was me, I'd absolutely SLATE them on Tripadvisor.

Why ??..I think it's hilarious that everyone is skating around naming the establishment actually involved , while at the same time the Elephant & Castle is getting openly slated by loads !!!
    Go figure !!??

cathalj wrote: »
    Why ??..I think it's hilarious that everyone is skating around naming the establishment actually involved , while at the same time the Elephant & Castle is getting openly slated by loads !!!
    Go figure !!??
    I'm not sure about the charter here but it seems possible to name in the Consumer forum on Boards under Business and Finance. There's a sticky at the top for posters to post about their best and worst customer service experiences. There are usually lots of posts about the big corporations, financial institutions, the information and communication sector, supermarkets etc but I have seen pubs and restaurants named on the thread as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is it not just the case that the OP doesn't wish to name the establishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I'm sure had the manageress been at least apologetic and acknowledged the flaw in the system, the OP would have moved on to the next restaurant just as he did, but wouldn't feel the need to complain here.

But he is completely in the right here. The restaurant should not have facility to book online if they don't use it. How unprofessional to then, given the fact the op could prove receipt of confirmation, dismiss them in the way they did.

Any anyone who says trip advisor reviews are not heeded by restaurants are totally wrong. People know a good / bad / malicious / insincere review.

Op review away .... hopefully at least the manager will get bollocking.

• Advertisement

Is it not just the case that the OP doesn't wish to name the establishment?
    That's could be true, of course, or perhaps they might have thought they are not allowed on Boards. Restaurants are discussed on some of the Regional forums on Boards. Cork City have a very active stickied thread where the best and worst of experiences are discussed about all the different restaurants there on a daily basis. Not sure if there is a similar thread for the OP's location.

Faith wrote:
    Mod Note: Let it go, please. The restaurant is not going to be named here, as it adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. All restaurants should be held to the same high standards.

Won't be named or can't be named - as said E&C has been named a couple of times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Won't be named or can't be named - as said E&C has been named a couple of times.

Won't be named, as the OP has very clearly stated that he has no intention of naming the restaurant, and he is under no obligation to either.
    dslamjack wrote: »
    I have not named the restaurant,because I believe in fair play and the right to reply

And on that note, Elephant & Castle has no bearing on this conversation so, everyone, please do not drag them in here.

edit: Mod Note: On second thought, I have moved all discussion of E&C to the restaurant guide thread. Feel free to name and discuss restaurants in that thread.

Well I did not name the restaurant because as the Mod pointed out
    And she is right,the GM has rang me back at 4.30 or so,and I took the excellent advice given above to take all emotion out of it and passed the phone to my wife who has worked in corporate PR for 30 year's,even though I have worked in customer service for nearly 40 year's and am well used to dealing with difficult circumstance's.
    So he wish's to investigate further and will ring us tomorrow , at least he had the decency to ring me - I do not wish for anything other than for them to recognise that a bad mistake was made and that a customer was treated appallingly.
    I am not looking for a free meal or anything else,just acknowledgement of what happened and an honest apology ,not I'm sorry see ya now,bye and hang up.
    Faith is right all restaurant's,pub's, etc and indeed any business dealing with the public should stride to achieve the highest standard's and the public should expect no less either.
    As I said above ,common decency ,good manner's and soap as old timer's used to say cost nothing.
    I will let you know how I got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

That's not what I said, but in fact if the restaurant has any business sense they would offer SOMETHING to the OP. Cop on to yourself with your useless lazy predictable one liners.
    Ah, the I want something for free brigade has arrived.

You know I was just thinking , no matter where I have been in the world,be it New York,Skibereen,Milan,Paris or Rome,I seldom drive on holiday because I do enough here in work.
    No my self and my wife get out on foot and tramp the street's to see the sight's etc and that is where and how you find gem's of restaurant's etc tucked away or on quiet street's or in beautiful location's.
    You go in chance your arm if they have a table - great if not,no big deal let's keep's walking you never know what you might find.
    This was actually the first time I had used the restaurant web site to book a table and even though I could not reach them on the phone ,knew it was a very popular place and on the seafront and the best weather all summer and they would be very busy,I thought e-mail confirmation , voicemail left ,all will be ok,what could go wrong.
    Look it's not the end of the world I'm a big boy but as the Mod Faith said above you expect that all restaurants should be held to the same high standards.

OP, I have worked in a few different establishments as a student here and abroad in those type of pub/restaurants in seaside locations. At the weekends and during really fine weather the places could be heaving; you would have customers baying at you for food and drinks, and you also had to make sure nobody ran away without paying. That's very different to a nice little trattoria in Rome or a fine dining restaurant here. Sometimes it really is all about the context and as you haven't named the pub/restaurant it's hard to know if that's their usual standard of customer service or just that particular day when the weather was great.

As I already said a few times here where there are lots of transient customers looking to be fed sometimes they place less emphasis on the food and service and sometimes customers need to be a bit more discerning about where they choose for a special occasion given that there will be lots more people out and about during good weather. I still hope you get a positive response as it wasn't pleasant for you to personally experience that especially when you had visitors with you from abroad and there can be pressure on us at times when we are the one in charge of making a booking for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

kylith wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you, if you had the opportunity? And why are some people asking why the OP went to Dublin from Athlone, as if it makes a difference. If I wake up in the morning and decide to drive to Donegal to buy a bacon sandwich from a cafe in Gweedore that's my prerogative, and does not excuse crappy service on my arrival.

For clarity, I meant WhatTF, not WhyTF...

Genuinely interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

dslamjack wrote: »
    Well I did not name the restaurant because as the Mod pointed out
    And she is right,the GM has rang me back at 4.30 or so,and I took the excellent advice given above to take all emotion out of it and passed the phone to my wife who has worked in corporate PR for 30 year's,even though I have worked in customer service for nearly 40 year's and am well used to dealing with difficult circumstance's.
    So he wish's to investigate further and will ring us tomorrow , at least he had the decency to ring me - I do not wish for anything other than for them to recognise that a bad mistake was made and that a customer was treated appallingly.
    I am not looking for a free meal or anything else,just acknowledgement of what happened and an honest apology ,not I'm sorry see ya now,bye and hang up.
    Faith is right all restaurant's,pub's, etc and indeed any business dealing with the public should stride to achieve the highest standard's and the public should expect no less either.
    As I said above ,common decency ,good manner's and soap as old timer's used to say cost nothing.
    I will let you know how I got on.

That is exactly how I would feel in your shoes.

They treated you and your group like dirt. There is no excuse for that.
    Am glad that you took on board the advice given. You absolutely did the right thing. Well done.

• Advertisement

I just can't believe the response to what I thought was just me getting upset over nothing .. as Faith the Mod pointed out the highest standard's are required - no matter if it's the food van at a concert,the local take away or the classiest restaurant in town.
    And thank you LynnGrace,and the other's above who advised to remove all emotion and to stick to the fact's.
    I did right to come here for your good advice .. so thank you all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement