Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The story of what led bobby sands to join the IRA

Options
  • 15-07-2016 10:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭

Sands was the eldest of four children. His sisters, Marcella and Bernadette, were born in 1955 and 1958, respectively. After experiencing harassment and intimidation from their neighbours, the family abandoned the development and moved in with friends for six months before being granted housing in the nearby Rathcoole development. Rathcoole was 30% Catholic and featured Catholic schools as well as a nominally Catholic but religiously-integrated youth football club known as Star of the Sea (of which Sands was a member and for whom he played left-back), an unusual circumstance in Northern Ireland.

By 1966, sectarian violence in Rathcoole (along with the rest of Belfast) had considerably worsened, and the minority Catholic population there found itself under siege; Sands and his sisters were forced to run a gauntlet of bottle- and rock-throwing from Protestant youths on the way to school every morning, and the formerly integrated Rathcoole youth football club banned Catholic members and renamed itself "The Kai", which stood for "Kill All Irish". Despite always having had Protestant friends, Sands suddenly found that none of them would even speak to him, and he quickly learned to associate only with Catholics. He left school in 1969 at age 15, and enrolled in Newtownabbey Technical College, beginning an apprenticeship as a coach builder at Alexander's Coach Works in 1970. He worked there for less than a year, enduring constant harassment from his Protestant co-workers, which according to several co-workers he ignored these completely, as he wished to learn a meaningful trade. He was eventually confronted after leaving his shift in January 1971 by a number of his colleagues wearing the armbands of the local Ulster loyalist tartan gang. He was held at gunpoint and told that Alexander's was off-limits to "Fenian scum" and to never come back if he valued his life. This event, by Sands's admission, proved to be the point at which he decided that militancy was the only solution.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭jack923

I

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

jack923 wrote: »
    Sands was the eldest of four children. His sisters, Marcella and Bernadette, were born in 1955 and 1958, respectively. After experiencing harassment and intimidation from their neighbours, the family abandoned the development and moved in with friends for six months before being granted housing in the nearby Rathcoole development. Rathcoole was 30% Catholic and featured Catholic schools as well as a nominally Catholic but religiously-integrated youth football club known as Star of the Sea (of which Sands was a member and for whom he played left-back), an unusual circumstance in Northern Ireland.

By 1966, sectarian violence in Rathcoole (along with the rest of Belfast) had considerably worsened, and the minority Catholic population there found itself under siege; Sands and his sisters were forced to run a gauntlet of bottle- and rock-throwing from Protestant youths on the way to school every morning, and the formerly integrated Rathcoole youth football club banned Catholic members and renamed itself "The Kai", which stood for "Kill All Irish". Despite always having had Protestant friends, Sands suddenly found that none of them would even speak to him, and he quickly learned to associate only with Catholics. He left school in 1969 at age 15, and enrolled in Newtownabbey Technical College, beginning an apprenticeship as a coach builder at Alexander's Coach Works in 1970. He worked there for less than a year, enduring constant harassment from his Protestant co-workers, which according to several co-workers he ignored these completely, as he wished to learn a meaningful trade. He was eventually confronted after leaving his shift in January 1971 by a number of his colleagues wearing the armbands of the local Ulster loyalist tartan gang. He was held at gunpoint and told that Alexander's was off-limits to "Fenian scum" and to never come back if he valued his life. This event, by Sands's admission, proved to be the point at which he decided that militancy was the only solution.

That's nice of you.You just transcibed part of a Wikipedia page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

And? Anyone interested could look this up. Why are you posting this what do you wish to discuss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

He chose to take his own life. It was a choice his organisation did not give to many of their victims.

maryishere wrote: »
    He chose to take his own life. It was a choice his organisation did not give to many of their victims.

Of course not, you know.... in a war you usually don't give the enemy a choice in the matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Of course not, you know.... in a war you usually don't give the enemy a choice in the matter
    We saw that in his organisations attacks, such as the Bloody Friday bombings ( lots of innocent shoppers killed), Le Mons restaurant bombings, Enniskillen, Guildford, Manchester etc.

We saw that in his organisations attacks, such as the Bloody Friday bombings ( lots of innocent shoppers killed), Le Mons restaurant bombings, Enniskillen, Guildford, Manchester etc.

There's no such thing as a war where innocents don't die.

Bloody Friday was completelying accident they were underestimated the security forces ability to respond, the restaurant bombing was also an accident one of those responsible was charged on manslaughter and plus there's lots of allegations that the two people who orchestrated the attack were british double agents including the person who was meant to make the warning call done it to halt support for the IRA.

As a matter of fact re reading the evidence just there I have very little doubt this was done on purpose by british double agents. Denis Donaldson was actually one of the two involved

Important police documents and files of interviews with IRA members have apparently been lost.

And? Anyone interested could look this up. Why are you posting this what do you wish to discuss?

Just for anyone who might pick up an interest after reading something like this

• Advertisement

The vast majority of us are very aware of our recent history , you also seem determined to consistently discuss violence as if it's something to be proud of.

I'm well into my fourties now and lost an innocent neighbour to terrorist bomb , an soldier acquaintance shot dead and a friend who spent years in prison who will tell you now he wasted a huge portion of his life with terrorist convictions.

It might be time for you to stop looking at our recent past through rose tinted glasses and realise there was years of misery .

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

jack923 wrote:

Thanks! Tonight I've learned he had a strong dislike for furniture retailers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There's no such thing as a war where innocents don't die.

And yet they died in disproportionally high numbers during the Troubles. 52% of all "war related" deaths during the period were civilians. But that's OK I suppose because there's no such thing as a war where innocents don't die, as you so glibly put it.

Zaph wrote: »
    And yet they died in disproportionally high numbers during the Troubles. 52% of all "war related" deaths during the period were civilians. But that's OK I suppose because there's no such thing as a war where innocents don't die, as you so glibly put it.

Mainly because of loyalist paramilitaries an outsider of the war

The vast majority of us are very aware of our recent history , you also seem determined to consistently discuss violence as if it's something to be proud of.

I'm well into my fourties now and lost an innocent neighbour to terrorist bomb , an soldier acquaintance shot dead and a friend who spent years in prison who will tell you now he wasted a huge portion of his life with terrorist convictions.

It might be time for you to stop looking at our recent past through rose tinted glasses and realise there was years of misery .

I'd disagree that most people are well aware or educated on this particular subject, war is terrible I agree but is necessary at times as nelson mandela once said The time comes in the life of any nation when there remains only two choices – submit or fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

"war"?

Does it matter who killed them? They were innocent people who died premature violent deaths.

The provos were actually the only group to kill more members of the enemy than civilians 550 civilians killed by the provos and that figure includes off duty military personnel, politicians, spies etc. So the figure is really closer to 300 an astonishing figure for the nature of their attacks.

Does it matter who killed them? They were innocent people who died premature violent deaths.

No it doesn't they were all tragedies but many people like to place all the blame on the IRA which is simply not true.

I'd disagree that most people are well aware or educated on this particular subject, war is terrible I agree but is necessary at times as nelson mandela once said The time comes in the life of any nation when there remains only two choices – submit or fight.

You're very naive, if you believe that most people are unaware.

If anything your own awareness of peoples suffering seems very limited.

One can only imagine the agony and distress those hunger strikers and thier families went through yet you persist in seeking some way to promote violence as a glorious event .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Is that the same Nelson Mandela that you had another thread about? Saying he was and always would be a terrorist? And now you're quoting him to prove some sort of point?

The provos were actually the only group to kill more members of the enemy than civilians 550 civilians killed by the provos and that figure includes off duty military personnel, politicians, spies etc. So the figure is really closer to 300 an astonishing figure for the nature of their attacks.

Read what you just posted.

You're very naive, if you believe that most people are unaware.

If anything your own awareness of peoples suffering seems very limited.

One can only imagine the agony and distress those hunger strikers and thier families went through yet you persist in seeking some way to promote violence as a glorious event .

Bobby sands is an Irish hero and he's my hero too so I don't think I'm being disrespectful I think it's a great disrespect for there to not have been a street named after him.

Read what you just posted.

I think I know what you're referring to but please clarify.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    "war"?

Yes war.

The actual number of civilian deaths attributed to republican paramilitaries is 723. On top of that there were another 1,080 members of the security forces, so your figures are way off. And to describe 300 deaths as an astonishing number in the way you mean it is one of the most unbelievably crass things I've seen on this site in a long time.

No it doesn't they were all tragedies but many people like to place all the blame on the IRA which is simply not true.

Yeah, real paragons of virtue they were. They were murdering scum, just like all the other organisations, from both sides, who killed people during the Troubles. To try and paint them as anything else is complete and utter bullsh*t.

Can you provide a source of someone reputable claiming that all deaths during the troubles were caused by the IRA?

If someone says that the IRA were at fault, it's not the same as saying they were the only ones at fault. Of course, one group also committing atrocities doesn't make atrocities committed by the other group does any less atrocious.

As desperate of positions they might have found themselves in, you can't justify taking human life...and you certainly shouldn't try to celebrate and/or justify their mistakes in retrospect.

I think I know what you're referring to but please clarify.

"You're impressed that that they managed to kill only 300 civilians " , that's my point.

Yes war.

How do you explain how that's the correct term for it?

• Advertisement

Bobby sands is an Irish hero and he's my hero too so I don't think I'm being disrespectful I think it's a great disrespect for there to not have been a street named after him.

There's one in Tehran. Will that do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement