Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sours

Options
  • 14-07-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Well lads, i have been getting a little bored of the ales and stouts for a while now so i'm on the lookout for some sours.
    Haven't had too much variation though, just the White Hag Heather Ale and the Kinnegar Sour Grapes both of which hit the spot.
    So what other sours do I need to try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you can still find it, Galway Bay's The Eternalist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The classics: Cantillon Gueze, Boon Oude Geuze and Boon Mariage Parfait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yellowbelly "Great for the town" Strawberry Sour is a nice light sour.
    They also have a Passion fruit sour called Castaway which is also nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Calypso by Siren is worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd second RasTa's suggestion of Calypso, loved it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Rodenbach is a slightly different sour to the ones mentioned above as well. Not that easy to find but very nice if you can spot it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I quite like Williams Grozet - not as sour as other sours, but still sour. My local newsagent, who does stock a lot of random stuff for a newsagent (my go to for pancetta and continental cheeses!) has it from time to time so its definitely available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, hit up the Belgians, get the Cantillon Kriek, or the Drie Fonteinen one for something a little bit different.

Kriek means it has cherries added during Fermentation, and the flavour really complements the sourness.

Most sours, in my opinion, pale in comparison to the Belgian Lambics or Gueuzes, but Berliner Weisses are worth looking for, the most readily available example in Ireland is probably Siren's Calypso, but it's a take on the style as it's hopped whereas a true Berliner wouldn't be.

Gose, if you can find it, is also worth looking for, not as overtly sour as the Belgian or Berliner, but something a little different as you also have a little subtle saltiness going on.

Advertisement