Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open Championship, Royal Troon, 14h to 17th July 2016

Options
  • 08-07-2016 4:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭

Troon is my least favourite Open venue.

Five of the eight winners at Troon won their first and only major there. (Havers; Weiskopf; Calcavecchia; Leonard; Hamilton.)

Some of the winners have been very good putters, probably because the green are flatter than other venues. This suggests that it is one of the easier major tests and an upset winner is possible.

1923: Arthur Havers holed a bunker shot on the 72nd hole to win his only major title. 72 holes played in two days.
    1950: Bobbly Locke (a great putter) won by two.
    1962: Arnold Palmer (a great putter) won by six. The last Open where all players had to qualify (36 holes in the two days before the 1st round).
    1973: Tom Weiskopf won his only major by three in a bad weather last round.
    1982: Tom Watson won by a shot (won the US Open the previous month.)
    Bobby Clampett was 7 shots clear after 5 holes of the final round but finished 10th, almost a big upset.
    1989: Mark Calcavecchia won a 4 hole playoff against Greg Norman and Wayne Grady.
    1997: Justin Leonard (a great putter) won by three, finishing with a 65.
    2004: Todd Hamilton won a playoff with Ernie Els. Terrible weather final nine holes.

Robert Streb (odds 705). He was 18th last year in his first Open, 7 shots behind. Poor form this year until the last three weeks, 20th and 21st. In one of those he started a round with a triple-bogey 7, and his final 9 holes was 41, yet he finished only 5 shots behind the winner.
    Kevin Kisner (odds 281). In 2015 he lost three play-offs before his first PGA Tour win in November. He was 16th in the Bridgestone at Firestone last week, 8 behind D Johnson. Missed the cut in his first Open in 2015 by a shot.
    Smylie Kaufman (odds 547) I backed him in the 2016 US Masters at 440, and he was a shot off the lead at 54 holes. This is his Open debut. He hits it a long way. 20th, 10th, 27th in 3 of his last 4 starts (and cut in US Open) so is in ok form.
    Jordan Niebrugge (odds 998). Never heard of him? He was 6th in the 2015 Open Championship, 11 under par and leading amateur, and lowest amateur score in Open history. He had 20 birdies in that Open (Spieth 24, Z Johnson 22, Oosthuisen 22, Leishman 21, Day 17.) Age 22. He finished college in the last few months and has played one professional tournament, the Quicken Loans 23/26 June, missing the cut with 72,73. He might lack practice as he was finishing college. He has potential but might flop. Young players are imo inconsistent. This is my biggest bet.

I know Dustin Johnson is in top form, Jason Day is winning about half the tournaments he enters, Jordon Spieth nearly won the Open and is a great putter for these greens, but there have been more upsets on this course than other Open venues.

I like big odds. They pay more. The idea is to make money, not pick winners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

I heard it will be the first open championship to be televised by Sky Sports and by NBC in the US! So where exactly in Scotland will it be held?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Doodleking wrote: »
    I heard it will be the first open championship to be televised by Sky Sports and by NBC in the US! So where exactly in Scotland will it be held?
    Royal Troon is on the west coast of Scotland, between Irvine and Ayr, about 35 miles from Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Full days coverage Thursday on Sky 1. Just Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

McDowell is 11/4 to finish in the top 20. Played really well at the Scottish Open but the putts wouldn't drop on Sunday. I've backed Grace ante post at 50s 40s and 33s. If Westwood hit 50s with PP, who are going 1/5 odds for top 8, I might have a punt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

In descending order of payout

Jordan Niebrugge 999.45
    John Daly 1,000.00
    Robert Streb 682.93
    Vijay Singh 944.66
    Smylie Kaufman 542.63
    Marc Leishman 110.71
    Brendan Steele 628.31
    Kevin Kisner 281.74
    J B Holmes 400.00

Leishman 95 and Ziebrugge 300 for 1st round leader
    John Daly was a mis-click.:( I was watching the Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

johnson and johnson for me 9s+66s

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The first stage of my concerted effort to fritter away my Euro winnings::p

Outright: Grace
    Top GB & I: McDowell, Harrington and Wood (cos I couldn't resist the Betting Directory headline 'Got Wood For The Top GB and Ireland Player At The British Open':D)
    Top Yank: Kuchar, Piercy
    Top Rest of World: Oosthuizen, Leishman, Lee

Surely someone has to come in for me there?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Decided to go with Spieth on the nose, could do with the leaders coming back to him a bit, to say the least.

Anyone watching?

Top GB & I: McDowell, Harrington and Wood (cos I couldn't resist the Betting Directory headline 'Got Wood For The Top GB and Ireland Player At The British Open':D)

Grace and Harrington -1 the best I have from this lot so far.:(

Feck it none of these have a prayer, just stuck a few quid on Mcllroy outright @ 20/1

• Advertisement
Advertisement