Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange cloud formation

Options
  • 07-07-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Took these around 4pm in macroom, cork. Any idea of the name of this sort of cloud formation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cirrocumulous by the looks of them. Not that rare or strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah they're Cirrocumulus ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Never saw those type of clouds before, they look unusually fragmented. Good pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

My pics do not do them justice. Very sharp edges and similar pattern. I imagine it has to do with heat from sun shaping the molecules similar to the way rock formations like giants causeway are formed. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I didn't see them myself, but my 90 year old grandmother said to me today that she saw very unusual clouds today, and she pointed at a rattan vase and said it looked like that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Took these around 4pm in macroom, cork. Any idea of the name of this sort of cloud formation?

Noted myself the fine array of Cirrus yesterday here in Kerry. I suppose all the more noticeable and pleasing after the grey weather of late. What stood out for me here were banks of Floccus and Uncinus . I think the cloud in bogwalrus pics could possibly be classified as Cirrus Intortus.

I enjoy Cirrus and often watch out for iridescence and halo's. Cirrus can often herald approaching bad weather too.

The pic below is an example of a halo ( 22° halo ) i took recently one morning in a thin layer if Cirrostratus .

aHYZbHM.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

bogwalrus wrote: »

Nice shots. Those clouds are a very rare form of Cirrocumulus (Cc) clouds known as 'Cirrocumulus lacunosus' (Cc la) and usually indicates that a sheet of Cc is gradually dissipating.

New Moon

Advertisement