Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Roadways

Options
  • 03-07-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

I searched this thread but no results. Has anybody seen this? I donated some money on Indiegogo around 2/3 years ago and they raised 2.2m dollars. Basically solar tiles on the roads and pathways to generate electricity. They seem to be getting a lot of press and Government support. Hopefully maybe of interest to you. Moving along very slowly but looks promising and I'm sure Tesla or someone bigger may buy them out to really give this a push..
    http://www.solarroadways.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Read some where in the last week or two on this in relation to The Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Yes Walter saw that recently and seems to be doing over the projected targets. Different panels than the American Solar Roadways. No brainer i feel...Concrete slabs here in my garden patio today doing nothing!! Hopefully a lot more R and D and bigger companies get involved.

Dutch Project
    http://en.solaroad.nl

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/150510092535171.html

Some more on Solar Roadways
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Roadways

facepalm.gif

I saw all that ****!! US Government (local government threw in a million more or less in grants)

So Sir Liamalot you one of these debunkers???? uhhhhh
    You just look for negatives? google the negative **** like the na sayers about wind energy?

What makes you think paving a road in solar technology is a better application than putting solar beside a road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

If you wanna see how this solar panels should be installed properly look at this picture

korea-bikelane.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

A solar panel that lies flat, already looses so much efficiency it simply makes no sense.

If you can get power from it isn't it better than concrete or tarmac? It may not be as efficient as solar panels at an angle in a field or on a roof. But surely its worth looking into?

The dutch project seems to be working better than expected!! Solar Roadways tiles look more complicated with LED's and various other bits. Still lots of Research and Development to go so I'm looking forward to the final outcome. Maybe I'm a bit too positive about it and not the negative type.

If the price of the panels/tiles works out around the same or less than concrete and tarmac surely its worth a shot guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

If you can get power from it isn't it better than concrete or tarmac? It may not be as efficient as solar panels at an angle in a field or on a roof. But surely its worth looking into?

It's not. Look at the videos and you'll find out everything going you need to know.

Just because something seems like a good idea doesn't mean it is a good idea.
    Solar is the way to go IMO, but making roads out of it is a awful idea for many many reasons.

Rather than spend millions redesigning panels for road use, they should spend money on efficiency and reducing costs of manufacture.

I think in 10 years everyone will have a rooftop solar panel, hopefully up around 40-50% efficient. Paired with a battery, everyone will have access to free, locally generated electricity 24/7.
    Possibly create an exchange system where you export your excess and import when you're running low.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Could see them even being used in a car park. Car park makes money whether you park there or not, everyday.

Water John wrote: »
    Could see them even being used in a car park. Car park makes money whether you park there or not, everyday.

When cars park, there is less output, So why not put solar panels on a roof there instead? Double the output as on the ground.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    It's not. Look at the videos and you'll find out everything going you need to know.

Just because something seems like a good idea doesn't mean it is a good idea.
    Solar is the way to go IMO, but making roads out of it is a awful idea for many many reasons.

Rather than spend millions redesigning panels for road use, they should spend money on efficiency and reducing costs of manufacture.

I think in 10 years everyone will have a rooftop solar panel, hopefully up around 40-50% efficient. Paired with a battery, everyone will have access to free, locally generated electricity 24/7.
    Possibly create an exchange system where you export your excess and import when you're running low.

Totally agree on rooftop and battery idea and waiting for the day!! Solar Roadways are looking at pedestrian walk ways no road projects as of yet. Car Parks and walk ways i think is the best bet.

eeguy they are continuing to reduce costs and efficiency 95% of the tile now can harness the sun. Still a few more years to go i reckon. Dutch effort looks simpler and possibly easier to install by the looks of it.

Harika wrote: »
    When cars park, there is less output, So why not put solar panels on a roof there instead? Double the output as on the ground.

Harika if its the same or less to install ground solar to concrete and tarmac well its a runner!! That combined with roof solar in the same location would bring in a lot of power don't you think?

Harika if its the same or less to install ground solar to concrete and tarmac well its a runner!! That combined with roof solar in the same location would bring in a lot of power don't you think?

The solar roadways system is far more expensive than tarmac or solar panels as 40 ton trucks have to drive over it, while generating energy. As there are only prototypes you can only guess the price they will have. And they are researching since 10 years and still have no road prototype that is not breaking immediately.
    Edit: And roof solar and solar roadways together? Seriously?

eeguy they are continuing to reduce costs and efficiency 95% of the tile now can harness the sun

Yep, but only about 30% of the solar energy that hits the panel is converted to electricity.

And that's for a good (expensive) panel.

It will never be cheaper to build and install a solar panel than it is to lay down some gravel and tar.

Also, the panels that may be used on the roads don't exist. Also, they'll need to be ruggedised to stand up to HGVs and the like, have enough friction to grip to tyres and be regularly cleaned to remove all the grease and rubber build up.
    They'll never get anywhere near the efficiency of a rooftop or solar farm.
    You'll also need a network of power transformers and converters to transport this energy around the country.

There's no way this will be cheap.

I'll admit it's a good concept and I can see how people will support the idea.
    But look at the facts and the calculations and beyond the flashy models and you'll see it's a money pit.
    But the logic is backwards.
    The car park is full during the day, and getting limited power and empty at night and getting no power. And all the issues above still have to be solved.

Better to roof the car park with panels.
    More secure, no rain, no bird sh*t, cheaper to make, better output, more optimised, etc, etc...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSScTnAgiIYNT0jYKE2hpbtoVqC2jWqT50VVT40vHZqFE2Z-ep_

hysteria.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's no where near the same. Have you even thought about traffic and shadows, what effect that will have.

Its new tech...Im willing to wait and see what happens no matter what you say lads :p More simpler project.. with proven results.

http://www.solaroad.nl

But it's not a new tech. it's an abuse of an existing tech and funders' donations...ahem "investments".
    22 times more expensive than rooftop solar :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

French Solar Road Report

>Clicky<

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And for those who don't want to watch or read any of that:

Solar road costs €10 per wp installed. Solar farm costs €1 per wp installed. However the latter produces 3 times as much electricity per wp.

Say no more :D

Advertisement