Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Irish Championships

Options
  • 01-07-2016 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Looking on the bright side of things, the top few seeds this year would make very worthy champions. A few predictions: I am certain that the winner will be either Lopez or Jessel and I see them both notching up a very high score. I'd tend to favour Jessel as he's been improving a lot lately, while Lopez is perhaps a bit out of practice. Daly won't keep up the pace. Delaney will cause a few upsets I'm sure, and in fact I'd say that Daly and Delaney will be the kingmakers this year. O'Connell, MacElligott, Butler and Fox are all capable of getting results against anyone in the tournament, but I'll stick my neck out and predict that Lopex and Jessel will only concede a half-point between them to this group. With the Junior players like Beatty it's harder to predict of course -- they will no doubt want to prove that they've earned their place in this event, but I don't see them getting any results against the top players. Prove me wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

In case you were wondering why there are no live boards: there was a snafu when it turned out that there was an event right outside the room at UCD, with music blaring through speakers about ten feet from the door. ("Craic Con 2016" -- look it up.) So less than an hour before the start round 1 was moved to another room, the "Fitzgerald room". Which seems a bit nicer if you ask me, but there was no way the wiring was going to be moved in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

The standard of play in this year's championship must be at a level far above anything that I can understand. Could someone please explain why Eamon Keogh didn't just grab the enprise rook on move 43????
    Perhaps there was a glitch in the relay?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

sodacat11 wrote: »
    The standard of play in this year's championship must be at a level far above anything that I can understand. Could someone please explain why Eamon Keogh didn't just grab the enprise rook on move 43????

The move "played" 43 .. Rf7 is illegal - maybe the last few moves were the players analysing.

EnPassant wrote: »
    The move "played" 43 .. Rf7 is illegal - maybe the last few moves were the players analysing.

Thanks, I was thinking that maybe the rules had changed since I last played.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

Eamon resigned after 42. Rg3

• Advertisement

What happened on board 8?

EnPassant wrote: »
    What happened on board 8?

Rudolf Tirziman 0-1 Shane Melaugh

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭2bts

See photo of Round 1 of the championships here -> http://www.icu.ie/images/1317

2bts wrote: »
    See photo of Round 1 of the championships here -> http://www.icu.ie/images/1317

Smallest amount of spectators too by the look of it.
    I predict that the winner will be virtually decided by round five. Jessl is a half point ahead of Daly, if he wins their individual encounter then it's over.

Smallest amount of spectators too by the look of it.
    Weren't you spectating via the live boards?

Probably there are more spectators nowadays over the internet than there ever were in the "Good Old Days".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

The Championship is being played in a nice room and the lighting is excellent unlike last year. Also there are live boards this year. Last year there were none and it was difficult to follow the results.
    It's a pity there isn't a bigger entry.

I don't know much about chess engines but in the Daly v Fox game after 21 moves Houdini gives it as .29 to white while Stockfish gives Black a minute advantage .08 . I wouldn't have though that strong engines would vary so much. Which is stronger Houdini, Stockfish or Kimono?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭HaraldSchmidt

Any result in Daly-Fox today? I presume a draw was agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

No, it got to KvK :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Mod note - have split the "Good Old Days" thread in two - this thread is for discussion about the Irish Championships, and the other can be about how to improve it in future years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

So Jessel has lost his 100% record after a 110-move draw with Gerry O'Connell on board 1.

Colm, Anthony Fox and Killian Delaney on 3/4, just a half point off the lead. Looks like we're set for Colm v Stephen next round, with Colm as white?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

1. Has round 5 been delayed or is their a glitch with the live boards? There seems to be no live action 55 minutes after the announced start time?

2. Can somebody please provide here good directions to the venue from the outside world?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

The quality of the live transmission of games has been disappointing. The boards seem to lose their connection to the outside world regularly, leaving long gaps between updates, especially towards the end of the sessions. As of now, the broadcast for round 5 hasn't commenced :-(

One of the players asked for a 15 minute delay in transmission of the moves. I suspect that the arbiter decided not to transmit them at all today.

As to the quality of transmission, from my experience on the programming side, the DGT software is not great, and it all depends on cables from the boards to a laptop on site. If any of these cables gets pulled at all (easy to happen) then the board loses connectivity. The major tournaments all use a technician, who is on site for the duration of the games, and constantly monitors the boards.

2. Can somebody please provide here good directions to the venue from the outside world?

It's in the Student Centre, building 67 on the campus map (D5 on the grid).

• Advertisement

zeitnot wrote: »
    It's in the Student Centre, building 67 on the campus map (D5 on the grid).

Thanks; I will probably try to get out there on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

One of the players asked for a 15 minute delay in transmission of the moves. I suspect that the arbiter decided not to transmit them at all today.

Why?! I literally can't think of a reason to request a delay in transmission! Or to not transmit them. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the DGT boards in the first place?

reunion wrote: »
    Why?! I literally can't think of a reason to request a delay in transmission! Or to not transmit them. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the DGT boards in the first place?

Delays have been used in some international events (e.g. the last World Cup and recent Women's World Championship match) as an anti-cheating measure.
    There seems to have been a technical issue today and you can see a report on the ICU website.
    The following info comes from that circa 1930:

In the first result Killian Delaney had beaten Anthony Fox on board 2.

The report goes on to say:
    "Elsewhere there were wins for Luke Scott and Paul O'Neill who defeated Mustakim-Ul Haque and Shane Melaugh respectively while the 2013 Irish Women's Champion, Diana Mirza and Tirziman agreed a draw on board 8."
    Keogh-Thee and MacElligott-Beatty later drawn.
    After five hours Kevin Butler beat Gerry O'Connell.
    Top board still playing.

You can check the results and round 6 pairings later at
    http://chess-results.com/tnr229125.aspx?lan=1&art=2&rd=5&wi=821

[Edited] The problem with the UCD network is that it blocks FTP trafic, which is used by DGT to copy the PGN and flash files upto the ICU server.
    The arbiter got around the problem by tethering his laptop to his phone, and that is also why there were often delays.

Today, unfortunately, that solution didn't work. If any of the participants have a internet dongle, or a phone with lots of free mobile data, they should let the arbiter know.

Finally, apparently the DGT software has a setting to delay transmission for a set amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

So Jessel won against Daly -- not untypical for Daly to overpress and lose. It's a bit of a pity for the tournament as a competitive event. It will turn into a romp home for Jessel unless Delaney can produce a winning streak and keep Jessel under pressure not to slip up.

Tim Harding: correction!
    - Beatty - MacElligott was not drawn! Black won (all be it should have been drawn)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

[Edited] The problem with the UCD network is that it blocks FTP trafic, which is used by DGT to copy the PGN and flash files upto the ICU server.
    The arbiter got around the problem by tethering his laptop to his phone, and that is also why there were often delays.

Today, unfortunately, that solution didn't work. If any of the participants have a internet dongle, or a phone with lots of free mobile data, they should let the arbiter know.

Finally, apparently the DGT software has a setting to delay transmission for a set amount of time.

Get a €20 three pre pay sim card unlimited data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nikita999

anybody got the Jessell Daly game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nikita999

hokydoky, many thanks!

Advertisement