Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for new games

Options
  • 24-06-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I really don't know much about PC's, I've been using an old laptop the past 10 years or so to play some old games, the newest game i'd play on it would be DOW 2, it has to be the lowest graphics and even then it lags.

With DOW 3 coming out and Total War: Warhammer already out, I need a PC that will be able to comfortably run these games. Could anyone suggest a PC that will run these without any problems?

Budget is €750, I can go up to a grand if I really have too.

Thanks.

1. What is your budget? [€750]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming, DOW 2, Total War]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Possibly]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Paypal/Cash]

9. When are you purchasing? [ASAP]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Hi! Please fill out the form below so we have a better idea of your requirements. You've covered most of it already but nice to get some more info.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Anybody? :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€118.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€103.37 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€40.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€41.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€59.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (€278.95 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€48.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€46.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €738.46
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-27 13:02 CEST+0200

Wait for reviews & pricing of the AMD RX 480.

Possible upgrade paths:
    CPU: Core i5-6400/i5-6500

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€118.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€103.37 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€40.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€41.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€59.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (€278.95 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€48.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€46.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €738.46
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-27 13:02 CEST+0200

Wait for reviews & pricing of the AMD RX 480.

Possible upgrade paths:
    CPU: Core i5-6400/i5-6500

Thanks, is the RX 480 the new graphics card that just came out or something?

Also do you think any pre-made PC's could run the types of game I'd be looking to play? I don't have any experience building PC's :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Hi Ken - what are your thoughts of laptop vs desktop. You mentioned in the OP you were used to laptops, so just wondering if you are sticking or switching?

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    Hi Ken - what are your thoughts of laptop vs desktop. You mentioned in the OP you were used to laptops, so just wondering if you are sticking or switching?

I have a laptop at the moment but as far as I know desktops are cheaper and more efficient for gaming? I never travel with my laptop anyway so it might as well be a desktop.

True enough - ill let the guys here advise, as im not great on Desktops!

No need for the Z170 motherboard as he isn't interested in overclocking.
    I'd bump the PSU up to 500W too.
    I think the WD Blue 1tb HDD is cheaper from mindfactory.
    2x4gb DDR4-2133 should be fine rather than 1x8gb.

Definitely worth waiting for Wednesday for the RX 480.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    No need for the Z170 motherboard as he isn't interested in overclocking.
    I'd bump the PSU up to 500W too.
    I think the WD Blue 1tb HDD is cheaper from mindfactory.
    2x4gb DDR4-2133 should be fine rather than 1x8gb.

Definitely worth waiting for Wednesday for the RX 480.

Counter-points:
    • i3-6100 benefits from faster RAM, which is only possible on Z170. It also provides better upgrade path for i5/i7 later on.
    • No need for 500W, GPUs are getting more efficient and the system will draw ~289W (~67% of 430W) at full load.
    • Dual-channel RAM doesn't provide a performance benefit over single-channel, so getting 1x8Gb now leaves 3 slots free.
    Thanks, is the RX 480 the new graphics card that just came out or something?

Also do you think any pre-made PC's could run the types of game I'd be looking to play? I don't have any experience building PC's :-/

AMD RX 480 is a new graphics card which is being released this week. Looking to offer Nvidia GTX 970 performance for less cash.

No pre-made PC would be able to match those specs, as they (a) also include a Windows license, and (b) need to pay someone to assemble it.

It's not hard though, rent a "Build a PC" book from the library & look at youtube/website guides - it's very easy nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yep you have the budget for an i5 and an RX480 with a cheap motherboard if you build yourself which will be a perfect 1080p PC.

You won't get anything near that spec pre built for the same money unless maybe it's second hand.

• Advertisement

Counter-points:
    • i3-6100 benefits from faster RAM, which is only possible on Z170. It also provides better upgrade path for i5/i7 later on.
    • No need for 500W, GPUs are getting more efficient and the system will draw ~289W (~67% of 430W) at full load.
    • Dual-channel RAM doesn't provide a performance benefit over single-channel, so getting 1x8Gb now leaves 3 slots free.

Fair enough. I have simply been assuming Dual-channel's benefits tbh (when you hear "double the bandwidth" you generally do). I would still go with it though if only because I'd never need to fill the other 3 slots, so having two smaller sticks with the extra bandwidth with no tangible downside... eh.

I would still go with 500W if only due to manufacturer's specs for higher end graphics cards. Just allows more upgrade potential. Also some headroom for age related issues, and not exactly breaking the bank to get that extra wattage.

It does, but only to the tune of 5-10 FPS usually. Ryse is a massive outlier there and smells of something weird (and very bad) going on with the game engine. Definitely a decision up to the OP though. Dropping to the other motherboards may open up enough budget for the i5 though.

My brain is actually sore trying to understand what people are saying :pac:

I guess when the new graphics card comes out everyone will have a clearer picture? So i'll re-visit it then and look for some help, thanks everyone who offered advice.

Ok sorry let's just say hypothetically that I can't wait for the new graphics card. Would this build run DOW 3 and similar games ok?

CPU: Intel Core i5 6400 quad core 2.70Ghz
    Motherboard: ASUS H110M-K with DDR4 and USB 3.0 support
    Memory: 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz
    Storage: 1 Terabyte 3.5" Sada Hard Disk
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX950 2GB
    Case: White Dragon Midi tower case and Intel original heatsink and fan.
    Power Supply: 500 Watt A/PFC 80+

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd wait for the new RX 480 rather than a 950.

Ditto! I think you would be looking to upgrade the card in a year - whereas if you can wait (based on what has been said here) the card might do you for the next 3 years, at around the same cost?

But would the 950 with that build be good enough to run new games?

It will run TW: Warhammer no probs.

DOW3 specs havent been launched, so cant tell yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

But would the 950 with that build be good enough to run new games?

Wait till Wednesday for the RX 480 release :)

This is what a friend recommended, any expert opinions?

HyperX FURY Black Series 8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM Memory Module (Skylake Compatible)

Gigabyte H110M-S2H Motherboard (Socket 1151, H110 Express, DDR4, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX

Intel Core Skylake Processor i5-6500/3.2 GHz (Turbo Boost 3.6 GHz - 4 Core 6Mo Cache Socket 1151 (BX80662I56500)

SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB Sata III 2.5-inch Internal SSD up to 520 MB/s

Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB SATA lll Desktop SATA Drive - Blue

EVGA 100-B1-0500-KR - 500W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply (100-B1-0500-KR)

BitFenix BFC-NEO-100-KKWSR-RP - Neos ATX Tower Black/Red Window

And then the GFX card will be the AMD POLARIS 480X 8GB

What price is it coming in at?

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    What price is it coming in at?

If we assume the graphics card will be €250 then it comes in at €730

So confused about what to do now, guess I'll wait a week or two to see how things pan out.

Could anybody recommend anything monitor wise? I don't NEED one. But I guess it would be nice to have one. I'd go up to like €150 maybe more if it's really worth it.

Also, last question, I'll be using Wi-fi can anyone recommend a good wireless thingy? and how does it work? Thanks!

Anybody got advice on Monitor and Wireless? :-/

Don't use wireless if you plan to play online.

Don't use wireless if you plan to play online.

I've got no choice, I've been using it forever with no issues though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Wireless comes down to your own set up. I take it you're using the standard box that came from your ISP? If so any old wireless card will do, personally I'd use a USB dongle - you're talking €30.

I'm afraid I make a point of not recommending monitors as they are a very personal thing. I'd suggest nothing bigger than 24" for 1080p, then it's just down to looking at reviews. I don't think it's worth going for the mad refresh rates (e.g. 144Hz) for a machine based on a Rx 480, they also tend to be more expensive.

It's worth have a google at the different monitor types, TN v IPS etc. Also Youtube is great for getting info - Linus Tech tips is worth a search.

Wireless comes down to your own set up. I take it you're using the standard box that came from your ISP? If so any old wireless card will do, personally I'd use a USB dongle - you're talking €30.

I'm afraid I make a point of not recommending monitors as they are a very personal thing. I'd suggest nothing bigger than 24" for 1080p, then it's just down to looking at reviews. I don't think it's worth going for the mad refresh rates (e.g. 144Hz) for a machine based on a Rx 480, they also tend to be more expensive.

It's worth have a google at the different monitor types, TN v IPS etc. Also Youtube is great for getting info - Linus Tech tips is worth a search.

I'm just using whatever is in my laptop, so I assume I'll need to buy a new one for the PC, could you link me to a USB dongle? Thanks. Yeah a friend recommended a monitor and it's cheap as pickles too so i'll get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

So I just have to pop that into my CPU and it will connect to the Wi-Fi??

• Advertisement

You'd be better off buying some powerline adapters + RJ-45 cable, since your PC is stationary anyway.

Advertisement