Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusing pairs of words...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Speedwell wrote: »
    Spelt is not a word that has fallen out of use; it is (at least) the name of a grain. Google and other spellcheckers are at best minor annoyances to me. I worked as a proofreader back in the day and an engineer manual writer more recently, and I have always found them to cause more problems than they solve. I spend an extraordinary time trying to teach them that this word or that is actually not misspelled.

But what I am thinking is that if people come to rely on for example Googles spelling checker then it will be Google that drives how the world spells.

I have to use a spelling checker because I can't spell, I don't even hear words correctly so with my phonetic spelling I can't get them right. I just have to know what words I spell incorrectly and then check them. Strange autistic thing I can spot something that is wrong or not inline with a convention but can't actually get it right myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

my3cents wrote: »
    But what I am thinking is that if people come to rely on for example Googles spelling checker then it will be Google that drives how the world spells.

I have to use a spelling checker because I can't spell, I don't even hear words correctly so with my phonetic spelling I can't get them right. I just have to know what words I spell incorrectly and then check them. Strange autistic thing I can spot something that is wrong or not inline with a convention but can't actually get it right myself?

haha, as a fellow Aspie I can't tell you. One of my "weird obsessions" has always been spelling. So much so that instead of getting bent out of shape about other people's spelling, I just mentally correct it and keep going. Also, if generations of schoolteachers, newspapers, novelists, and other standard-bearers have not taught people through exposure to spell properly, I doubt Google is going to have any greater effect.

I should apologise (apologize) for using occasional American spelling in my posts. I'm an American, but I'm trying to train myself to spell over here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Thud

Renumeration : recounting
    Remuneration : payment

Specific / Pacific :)

Thud wrote: »

Specific / Pacific :)

An ocean of difference. :)

One I have jut had to correct myself, berry was what I had typed but it looked wrong because what I meant was bury :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I often see 'debit' used instead of 'debt'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Discrete/discreet
    Fearsome/fearful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 demelzareveley

Answer/Reply

hyperthermia / hypothermia

• Registered Users Posts: 28,088 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Couple more medical(ish) ones, prostate and prostrate, ante and anti.

• Advertisement
Advertisement