Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobile / data usage in France

Options
  • 21-06-2016 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,

Going to France in a few weeks for a forthnight - I have an unlocked Vodafone Smart Ultra 6.

Is there a SIM I can get over there that'll give me a reasonable download / usage amount for not huge money? Obviously I'm not interested in anything contract as I'll not be there that long.

Any recomendations on what to do? I do have unlimited mobile data with my current three plan here in Ireland, but I presume that's not usable in France....

Thanks in advance,

ZB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Did I post in the wrong area? :-)

If so please mods feel free to move...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

When I was on three and travelling to Spain I used to have a Vodafone ES sim card and would top it up about 20 euro for 30 Days of data capped at either 1gb or later 2/3gb. Not necessary this year as meteor give me 1gb roaming data as part of my plan.

Either check out some of the French mobile operators websites for their pay as you go plans, or Google it as I seem to recall there were a few English language websites specializing in looking for the best pay as you go deals for holiday internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

EU roaming regulations mean you can no longer be thieved for data roaming and roaming in general. I 've just been to Germany for 10 days and used my phone as normal, both w calls and data. Just checked what the damage was, an extra tenner. Roaming rates are now at 6 cent per MB instead of 5 Euro, outgoing calls are also at 6 cent per minute, incoming calls were under 1 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boskowski wrote: »
    EU roaming regulations mean you can no longer be thieved for data roaming and roaming in general. I 've just been to Germany for 10 days and used my phone as normal, both w calls and data. Just checked what the damage was, an extra tenner. Roaming rates are now at 6 cent per MB instead of 5 Euro, outgoing calls are also at 6 cent per minute, incoming calls were under 1 cent.

Be careful advising that, somebody might end up with a lovely great bill. Your rate is 6c/MB but it can be has high as 24c/MB.

Advertisement