Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie Bin Pay-by-weight discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I used disposable nappies for first kid and terry towels (with disposable liner) for subsequent - terry very easy to manage, liner in bin, terry in bucket of water-with-steriliser, rinse out terry and hang on line. Never run out of nappies, saving in money, kid happy. Very easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭WealthyB

I've been using cloth for 2 yrs now and it's nothing like what you describe any more. It's very simple and practical and as cheap as you want it to be! If your child is sick, there's no one going to blame you for using disposables for a week to make life easier on yourself! Same as going on holidays. I just bring sposies.
    A wash costs less than 30 cent including the powder. I wash nappies twice a week. The cloth nappies last 2 children.
    My second child is due in 3 weeks. I don't have to buy any nappies for him or wipes whatsoever, he'll use his brothers. That's a saving of at least a tenner a week, not including bin charges.
    It's definitly worth investigating if you aren't so close minded.

Well fair play to you, but I know we couldn't do it. Unsure about how you're getting a 60 degree wash to cost 30 cent however. Best of luck with number 2 on the way - I know we haven't time to think with 2 boys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

The service charge alone from the 1st with my only provider is more than double (anyway) that of the last 12 months.

All of them coming out with similar "all in" pricing days before launch.

A minimum price fecking up any would be competition....is half the minimum what it really costs them to do business do ye think?

The rich list next year will be full of rubbish company owners.

What are they at?

I haven't really looked into it all yet, is this Coveney again, jaysus that lad is stunningly useless every where he goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

The service charge alone from the 1st with my only provider is more than double (anyway) that of the last 12 months.

All of them coming out with similar "all in" pricing days before launch.

A minimum price fecking up any would be competition....is half the minimum what it really costs them to do business do ye think?

The rich list next year will be full of rubbish company owners.

What are they at?

I haven't really looked into it all yet, is this Coveney again, jaysus that lad is stunningly useless every where he goes!

Half the minimum would equate to €55 per tonne for black bin waste. The actual cost for the waste collection companies to get rid of the waste is in the region of €120-€150 per tonne. Added to that would be the cost of the trucks, wages, overheads, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I would advise anyone that has junk in the shed to get rid of.

Put it in the bin before you pay more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

mikeym wrote: »
    What about sanitary waste?

Like what?
    Tissue/? Compost bin

You can put paper in compost bin, I mean something like a kitchen towel that you might use to wipe off something with.
    If you spilt a drink, ,you could clean up with kitchen towel and put it in compost bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Like what?
    Tissue/? Compost bin

You can put paper in compost bin, I mean something like a kitchen towel that you might use to wipe off something with.
    If you spilt a drink, ,you could clean up with kitchen towel and put it in compost bin.

Used sanitary pads/tampons etc I'm sure they meant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

mansize wrote: »
    Used sanitary pads/tampons etc I'm sure they meant

They could look into a moon cup or cloth pads if they wanted reusable / eco friendly. Havent braved that area myself yet but know a few who have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Just out of interest has anybody with a baby considered using cloth nappies?

We didn't use them, but my brother did, they reckoned it was very simple. Once you've children your laundry bill shoots up anyway, cloth nappies or not. Hopefully they'll become more common now thanks to pay-by-weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Might be worth tweeting Simon Coveney before his meeting this morning. Or putting a message on his Facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Greenstar Kilkenny have listed the following prices:

Bill Pay Account
    Monthly Charge €14.50
    General Waste per KG €0.25
    Recycling per KG €0.00
    Compost per KG €0.15

For the record, they don't currently supply a compost/brown bin, it all has to go in with the general waste. Greenstar also take glass in the recycling bin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Is it just me or have Panda Waste omitted the pricing on their website?

It looks like they purposely left out the pricing structure from the their news blog.

I know the pricing has been posted already, but wonder why Panda have left the details off their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

After Coveney's comments on the six one news I am slowly coming to the realisation that this deal has been done some years ago by Anthrax Kelly and his cronies in Fine Geal and can not be undone, It seems that Coveney is aware of this and his suggestion of a stay of one year on the increases is just a way of pushing the whole lot out ahead in the hope that it will have dissipated somewhat when it comes around again and by that time the companies will have got their customers onto the right track regarding how much they are expected to pay for this essential service.

Basically it is most definitely Irish Water Mk2!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i ll only accept the 'polluter pays principle' when they also introduce a 'creator pays principle' as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Am I missing something with this whole issue? All the news reports mention that this is related to the introduction of 'pay by weight' - but hasn't pay-by-weight been the norm in Dublin area for a few years now? What has changed recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Am I missing something with this whole issue? All the news reports mention that this is related to the introduction of 'pay by weight' - but hasn't pay-by-weight been the norm in Dublin area for a few years now? What has changed recently?
    The pay by weight that is in place for most is a lift charge plus a low per kg charge so people only pay when their bins are lifted.

what is changing is that now it is a service charge that you must pay even if your bin is never lifted and it is almost twice the previous charge and the per kg charge has also increased.

Most people will end up paying more, many up to twice what they were paying.

some will pay less but only because they are lucky enough to be near bring centres and having other options for composting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Spocker wrote: »
    Greenstar Kilkenny have listed the following prices:

Bill Pay Account
    Monthly Charge €14.50
    General Waste per KG €0.25
    Recycling per KG €0.00
    Compost per KG €0.15

For the record, they don't currently supply a compost/brown bin, it all has to go in with the general waste. Greenstar also take glass in the recycling bin

We pay Greenstar €369 a year

When I login I can see that the last 3 months weighed 315kgs for black bin 50kgs for brown bin.

So 12 months would cost me as follows :
    12 months monthly charge @€;14.50 = €174.00
    12 months average black bin 1260kgs @ €0.25 = €315.00
    12 months average compost bin 600kgs @ €0.15 = 90.00

Total cost under new system = € 579.00 per year

An increase of €210 annually

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

We pay Greenstar €369 a year

When I login I can see that the last 3 months weighed 315kgs for black bin 50kgs for brown bin.

So 12 months would cost me as follows :
    12 months monthly charge @€;14.50 = €174.00
    12 months average black bin 1260kgs @ €0.25 = €315.00
    12 months average compost bin 600kgs @ €0.15 = 90.00

Total cost under new system = € 579.00 per year

An increase of €210 annually
    Shouldn't that be 200 rather than 600kgs for your compost? Knocks €60 off your calculation. Still a big enough increase though!

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

smjm wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be 200 rather than 600kgs for your compost? Knocks €60 off your calculation. Still a big enough increase though!

No compost bin being provided in our area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Just out of interest has anybody with a baby considered using cloth nappies?
    We used cloth nappies and I would highly recommend them. They are very little work and the financial and environmental savings are significant. I reckon for about €300 we diapered two children until potty training and saved a lot more in terms of the environmental cost. People who say they aren't a realistic option usually don't know or don't want to know how easy the modern ones are to use. There are also biodegradable nappies that can be composted available, not quite as good as cloth but if people did some research they'd know what's out there. I had two in nappies at one stage and we both worked fulltime and we managed just fine.

• Advertisement

No compost bin being provided in our area.

I'm not positive, but I think the bin companies have to provide them under the new rules.

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

"Unfortunately we do not provide a composting service in your area.

Please be advised compost bins is separate to PBW regulation and will be rolled out to the areas that we are legally obliged to roll them out to. Currently for population centres of 1500 or more persons, we are required to have a compost service available."

That's the email I got from Greenstar at 17:00 this evening.

"Unfortunately we do not provide a composting service in your area.

Please be advised compost bins is separate to PBW regulation and will be rolled out to the areas that we are legally obliged to roll them out to. Currently for population centres of 1500 or more persons, we are required to have a compost service available."

That's the email I got from Greenstar at 17:00 this evening.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have much use for one myself anyway. I've very little food waste and the little there is can go onto the compost heap in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pay for a lift, plus a pay by weight. Simples.

No weekly or standing charge.

Surely that complies with the polluter pays principles?

But not enough profit I reckon, so... can kicked down the oul boreen again.

smjm wrote: »

yep should be 200kgs approx .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yep should be 200kgs approx .

you have a kid in nappies? 100kg of black bin waste per month is a lot.

loyatemu wrote:
    you have a kid in nappies? 100kg of black bin waste per month is a lot.

Not nappies just general waste that cannot be put into other bins
    Coal clinkers and ashes . grass, leaves , and other dirt that we find lyng around .
    All contaminated waste as well

Not nappies just general waste that cannot be put into other bins
    Coal clinkers and ashes . grass, leaves , and other dirt that we find lyng around .
    All contaminated waste as well

Have you no room for a compost heap for the grass and leaves? Not criticising, just wondering. :)

Just contacted my bin company again to check whether I could stick with the pay-per-lift option I currently use. The lady who answered said she didn't know because she hasn't been told yet. Felt sorry for her as she sounded like she's been fielding this type of question all day without being able to give a straight answer. Still plenty of confusion about what will and won't change on July 1st, regardless of yesterday's announcements.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The pay by weight that is in place for most is a lift charge plus a low per kg charge so people only pay when their bins are lifted.

what is changing is that now it is a service charge that you must pay even if your bin is never lifted and it is almost twice the previous charge and the per kg charge has also increased.

Most people will end up paying more, many up to twice what they were paying.

some will pay less but only because they are lucky enough to be near bring centres and having other options for composting etc.

Thanks for clarification. I can see the point of a service charge, in that the provider has to put trucks and staff on the road, regardless of whether your bin is out or not. Unless we were to move to some kind of booking system?

Advertisement