Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

We just got mortgage approval with 90% LTV :) :pac: :D :pac: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 elainep13

If the people that have offered PM's could please send me their brokers details that would be great. Sounds like it would be a good idea, especially as FTB's.

Could I get those broker details too? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Maybe I'm being impatient but I contacted a surveyor that was recommended to us, he was really helpful and friendly on the phone but now seems to not be getting back to me.

I called him on the Friday, he said he was away until Sunday so to email him the details and he would get the email when he returned on Sunday. He said he was booked up all the following week so it would be the week after before he could do the survey (as in this week).

He didn't reply to the first email with the details, I sent a second last week just to check he'd received everything ok and he hasn't replied to that either.

I hate ringing people to chase them up (:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Maybe I'm being impatient but I contacted a surveyor that was recommended to us, he was really helpful and friendly on the phone but now seems to not be getting back to me.

I called him on the Friday, he said he was away until Sunday so to email him the details and he would get the email when he returned on Sunday. He said he was booked up all the following week so it would be the week after before he could do the survey (as in this week).

He didn't reply to the first email with the details, I sent a second last week just to check he'd received everything ok and he hasn't replied to that either.

Definitely get a new surveyor. Your solicitor should be able to recommend one (or more). No shortage of them and usually this should be a fairly quick turn around. Of all things that can delay conveyancing, this shouldn't be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I rang my surveyor on a Monday and had the report the next Monday. Very efficient and thorough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

we finally got our AIP in print :D:D we going to check out the smaller house as the other couple went up another bit on their bid. we have till xmas so can see what else is out there. just really happy to have our letter finally. Bank also said make sure we block out our mortagage price as it's none of their business which i totally agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

mollybird wrote: »
    we finally got our AIP in print :D:D we going to check out the smaller house as the other couple went up another bit on their bid. we have till xmas so can see what else is out there. just really happy to have our letter finally. Bank also said make sure we block out our mortagage price as it's none of their business which i totally agree with.

Excellent, let the "fun" begin ;) we viewed houses previous to getting AIP and plus we had to appeal their first decision. We knew the house we wanted and went straight for it. First offer accepted and close to getting keys now. Shizz gets real, real fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Contracts finally came through today. Relief is an understatement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Still waiting on life insurance here before we are even brave enough to go viewing. OH has been rejected before. If he gets rejected again we are back to square one as they won't take him into account on the salary multiple meaning we would get sweet f all of a mortgage. So jealous of everyone (though congrats all the same!). We have AIP already in place. Its been nearly two weeks tomorrow since the medical and I'm climbing the walls in my head as he's already stressed enough about it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Still waiting on life insurance here before we are even brave enough to go viewing. OH has been rejected before. If he gets rejected again we are back to square one as they won't take him into account on the salary multiple meaning we would get sweet f all of a mortgage. So jealous of everyone (though congrats all the same!). We have AIP already in place. Its been nearly two weeks tomorrow since the medical and I'm climbing the walls in my head as he's already stressed enough about it.....

You're a billion steps closer than I am so stay positive and keep at it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Tasden wrote: »
    You're a billion steps closer than I am so stay positive and keep at it :)

I'm trying. It's so frustrating. I have my own policy ready to tie to our non existent mortgage. I'm too afraid to mail the broker for an update in case it's a no. I'm desperately hoping that no news is good news. Or at least that it's not been rejected outright

Edit: no news is not good news. We've been rejected again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'm trying. It's so frustrating. I have my own policy ready to tie to our non existent mortgage. I'm too afraid to mail the broker for an update in case it's a no. I'm desperately hoping that no news is good news. Or at least that it's not been rejected outright

Edit: no news is not good news. We've been rejected again

Oh I'm sorry. That must be so frustrating. I've heard that Diabetes Federation of Ireland gave someone good advice on getting life cover when they had been refused. The person I know who spoke to them didn't have diabetes but they were still able to point them in the right direction

Anyone have any recommendations for a surveyor in Louth?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Anyone have any recommendations for a surveyor in Louth?

I went with <snip> in Dundalk, good amount of detail in the report, picked up on a fair few minor issues.

Mod: recommendations by PM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

We had been bidding on a house and pulled out with the other parties most-recent offer. Got a call yesterday saying that if we were to match that other offer that the estate agent felt that we would be in a good position.
    What are people's thought's on this?
    It makes me think that there was no other bidder or that the other bidder somehow let them know what their max was.
    5k difference in the offers, we had already bid our max agreed price for that house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Simona1986 wrote: »
    We had been bidding on a house and pulled out with the other parties most-recent offer. Got a call yesterday saying that if we were to match that other offer that the estate agent felt that we would be in a good position.
    What are people's thought's on this?
    It makes me think that there was no other bidder or that the other bidder somehow let them know what their max was.
    5k difference in the offers, we had already bid our max agreed price for that house.

Ha, and I bet the EA made it sound like you were getting a deal.

I'd stick with your original offer €5k below.

Well after all that it turns out the surveyor I originally hired went out and did the survey yesterday!

Good job i didn't get anyone else to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

Finally got our written AIP today! Feels very surreal holding a piece of paper that's essentially worth a few hundred thousand euro...
    We've bid on a property that needs quite a lot of upgrading. I'm having mini panics all day long just thinking about what we might be letting ourselves in for..

Got our 2nd approval today :):) . We will eventually need to choose.

Broker is of the opinion that permanent tsb will cut their rates soon enough. Anyone know anything about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Arsen5

Utah wrote: »
    Got our 2nd approval today :):) . We will eventually need to choose.

Broker is of the opinion that permanent tsb will cut their rates soon enough. Anyone know anything about that?
    I don't think it's possible to predict interest rates. Permanent tsb is 4.2% now & you will be on fixed rate for 1 or 2 years when you start (so if I'm right you wouldn't benefit from that reduction soon). Compared to AIB or KBC the difference could easily be 150Euro per month (depending on size & length of your mortgage). Beside you can change your mortgage in future if you want.

• Advertisement

Arsen5 wrote: »
    I don't think it's possible to predict interest rates. Permanent tsb is 4.2% now & you will be on fixed rate for 1 or 2 years when you start (so if I'm right you wouldn't benefit from that reduction soon). Compared to AIB or KBC the difference could easily be 150Euro per month (depending on size & length of your mortgage). Beside you can change your mortgage in future if you want.

Yeah, we figured that. We also got BOI approval which has a much more attractive rate.

We did BOI directly.

PTSB through a broker.

We needed the 90% LTV exemption.

Broker was of the opinion that KBC have used their quota of 90% LTV exemptions already so no use to us and our best chance was with PTSB. He also thinks that PTSB will cut their rates in the coming weeks, not sure where he is getting his information from. We don't need to draw down until September so we can wait and see does this cut happen. If not, we'd be pushed to go to BOI due to the lesser rate. It is around 140 a month difference!

A lot of websites seem to recommend bidding on a few properties that you're interested in at the same time as one of them will eventually work out.

I'm interested in 2 properties but unfortunately they both have the same agent. Would there be any disadvantages to putting a bid on both properties for the same amount of money? They have a similar asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

A lot of websites seem to recommend bidding on a few properties that you're interested in at the same time as one of them will eventually work out.

I'm interested in 2 properties but unfortunately they both have the same agent. Would there be any disadvantages to putting a bid on both properties for the same amount of money? They have a similar asking price.

Have done this and the agent didn't bat an eyelid.

I don't see any issue in placing 2 bids with the same agent. Obviously they won't let you go Sale Agreed on both, but a bid is merely a bid.

Ok, just didn't want to give out the vibe of being too desperate. Or being kind of uncommitted to one of the properties where the owners really want a quick genuine sale.

Nope not a worry at all - actually looking non committal is good. Don't worry about looking like the best girl in class to the estate agent, they'll only use it to their advantage.

It only starts to become real once you go sale agreed and pay your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

Finally got our written AIP today! Feels very surreal holding a piece of paper that's essentially worth a few hundred thousand euro...
    We've bid on a property that needs quite a lot of upgrading. I'm having mini panics all day long just thinking about what we might be letting ourselves in for..

No need to panic, we successfully bought a house last year, keys got in October, and we've loads done and are both really enjoying it.

Well the EA from the house we started a bidding war with has got back to us asking were we still interested. Confirmed with my hubbie and got back to him saying we were but we were viewing another house tonight which we are. and once we saw that we would let him know if we were going to put in a higher bid or walk away from it. the house we seeing tonight is the exact same but a bit smaller so has a lower price on it with the first offer going lower than the asking price so will have to see. no doubt will be a busy few days for us now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Should no offers on a house be a concern? There's this lovely house we've seen that has been on the market about a month but no offers on it yet. We are still waiting a final document before we can apply for the mortgage so we can't really put in an offer right now. We think it's fab but now I'm concerned as to why no one else has put an offer in yet. Is a month still early days for selling (it has had quite a few open viewings)? Should I be concerned there's something we are missing? I think the asking is maybe a little bit expensive but it's not too far off similar properties nearby so I don't think it's the price... Any thoughts or experiences?

• Advertisement

just home from viewing the smaller place and feeling very stressed about the whole thing. hate bloody not knowing what way things are going to go and we have let the EA know from the bigger house that we are letting it go unless something doesn't work out for the other bidders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement