Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car storage question

• 26-05-2016 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am just questioning around to see if people in the classic car end of things are having much trouble with storage space?

Curious as to what people pay for storage and in what kind of facility space?

I am thinking about putting in a few 20x10ft units, just trying to see what people have already.

I am not interested in larger units for people to be able to work on their cars, just storage.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Reasonably priced storage will be always in demand, a guy around here put some in but was charging rates close to my mortgage for it so it's mostly empty.
    Just remember that it's a hobby for most people and won't be able to justify or afford paying through the nose for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Someone was telling me last week about one of the multi story car parks in Tralee charging a fiver a week for a car space for long term storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

I was thinking more of lock ups and spaces. Only one person to have access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Canam Spyder

Hi Jonny,

I was looking for same kind of storage in Dublin recently and was quoted €267 per month for 20 x 10 unit, with vehicular access. I wanted it for Bikes and Boat Trailer and general "shed" stuff....

What part of the country are you in?

Hi Canam,

I am in Wicklow, Newcastle village to be exact, 5 minutes from Greystones or the N11, 20 minutes from the Red Cow.

I am currently offering fully insulated storage containers, with power if required. I may be going into other shaped units shortly, just have to wait and see how things pan out.

Price varies based on how long you are looking for the unit for,

Jonathan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Canam Spyder

Hi Jonathan,

I am in north Dublin, so a bit far away for me. Thanks anyway and good luck with the venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Jonathan, are the units ventilated? Cheers

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im renting a double fronted garage (enough to store 2 cars very comfortably side by side, 3 at a push) for €300 a month. That is ventilated, powered and watered. I was actually thinking of renting out the other half of the garage, as it has its own entrance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Is that you on done deal..45+/week..??

• Advertisement

The units I currently have are not ventilated as they are insulated shipping containers. The units I am looking at doing would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

For me, Storage is one of the main reasons I do not currently have a project car or classic.

I live in a house with a 1 car driveway and no garage. When I lived at home, I had all the space in the world and always had at least 1 project car on the go.

What id love is a lock up close to home that I could buy or rent for a reasonable monthly rate. A garage away from home if you will where I could store and work on something.

I was only looking at lock up type properties in the UK in the Norfolk area which are essentially single car garage size properties selling for between £8k and £10k. Usually in blocks of 10 or 12 attached lock ups (you could buy a block for £45k)

Is there anything like that in Ireland outside the major cities in Ireland??

What would you class as as a reasonable rate, monthly for what your describing above?

From what I see, places like this are going for about £50-60 sterling a month outside of the big cities like London, Manchester, Liverpool etc

In London, I heard of a lockup selling for half a mill!!!!!

Id be more interested in buying a unit though. From what I can see, they build them
    in the UK in blocks of 10 or 12 attached garages for all the world. I see these blocks of units sell for between £45k and £110 depending on location and how many units etc.

When you put it down on paper like that, would you make money from it?? I have no idea what 12 garage units attached would cost to build, but 12 units at €100 a month for instance is only €1200. €14400 a year if you have a full take up. How many years until you see a return??

For me this is all speculation so the above could be way off.

So personally, if there were single garage sized units where I could sore a car and work on it for sale for 10-15k like in the UK, I think id be all over it.

So you know, I'm in the south east area of the country and the town I live in has NO storage facility suited for storing a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

Mini850 wrote: »
    So you know, I'm in the south east area of the country and the town I live in has NO storage facility suited for storing a car.

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭turbocab

I have a holiday home with a garage in wexford town,i may rent it out at a reasonable rate,no electricity in it though,but at 150 a month it would be great value,get In touch if you are interested.

From what I see, places like this are going for about £50-60 sterling a month outside of the big cities like London, Manchester, Liverpool etc

In London, I heard of a lockup selling for half a mill!!!!!

Id be more interested in buying a unit though. From what I can see, they build them
    in the UK in blocks of 10 or 12 attached garages for all the world. I see these blocks of units sell for between £45k and £110 depending on location and how many units etc.

When you put it down on paper like that, would you make money from it?? I have no idea what 12 garage units attached would cost to build, but 12 units at €100 a month for instance is only €1200. €14400 a year if you have a full take up. How many years until you see a return??

For me this is all speculation so the above could be way off.

So personally, if there were single garage sized units where I could sore a car and work on it for sale for 10-15k like in the UK, I think id be all over it.

For this kind of rate, you can't make a return on it, well I couldn't see it anyway!

Jonny303 wrote: »
    For this kind of rate, you can't make a return on it, well I couldn't see it anyway!

You're probably right.

Thats probably why there isn't a huge amount of this kind of storage widely available.

Looking at prices that storeall and the likes of those storage building types charge for small units, maybe you might get more.

Saying that, I wouldnt pay more personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hey turbocab thank you but Wexford is a little away from me. Back on the look out now for a spot. if anyone has one in Cork I would be very interested need to store her for maybe 8months ish

• Advertisement

no problem good luck on your hunt for a place in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hey turbocab thank you but Wexford is a little away from me. Back on the look out now for a spot. if anyone has one in Cork I would be very interested need to store her for maybe 8months ish

Maybe too far for you, but I know a place in Youghal used for storage of cars, boats, campers, caravans. A disused factory. They charge €80/qtr for a caravan. I doubt they'd let people use as a workshop though.
    Milly33 or anyone else interested, send me a PM.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Maybe too far for you, but I know a place in Youghal used for storage of cars, boats, campers, caravans. A disused factory. They charge €80/qtr for a caravan. I doubt they'd let people use as a workshop though.
    Milly33 or anyone else interested, send me a PM.

See thats too far for me, but 80 squid a qtr (or a little over 20 a month) sounds perfect.

Ill have to try tackle my uncle (a farmer) for use of one of his barns

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh thank you nope not to far I would just maybe need to tow it done. I shall pm

turbocab wrote: »
    I have a holiday home with a garage in wexford town,i may rent it out at a reasonable rate,no electricity in it though,but at 150 a month it would be great value,get In touch if you are interested.
    i think 150 maybe a bit much for no electricity ,but for the winter months i will rent it out for 100 a month, if anyone is interested,wexford town area,

turbocab wrote: »
    i think 150 maybe a bit much for no electricity ,but for the winter months i will rent it out for 100 a month, if anyone is interested,wexford town area,

anyone interested for six winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niallirl

Hi

Looking for campervan storage south county Dublin? I have tried https://greenmeadowcaravanstorage.ie/ but no one answering their phone. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Beshoff Motors in Baldoyle are doing storage for €29 a week.

Advertisement