Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to China to Teach

• 06-11-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16 Thrash

Hey guys.

Just finished my CELT degree, and I am waiting my results so I can apply for jobs/Z visas, ect. However, I'm not sure where to aim for in China and I would really appreciate some recommendations.

I'm looking for a medium sized city (less than 5 million) that speaks Mandarin not Cantonese, with lots to do, but not crazy polluted.
    Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Veronica Clean Scotch

Thrash wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Just finished my CELT degree, and I am waiting my results so I can apply for jobs/Z visas, ect. However, I'm not sure where to aim for in China and I would really appreciate some recommendations.

I'm looking for a medium sized city (less than 5 million) that speaks Mandarin not Cantonese, with lots to do, but not crazy polluted.
    Thanks guys!

I've been to Guiyang, admittedly a few years ago. Nice area. Really depends if your interested in certain demographics etc
    I've worked with people in inner Mongolia, right down to nanning, xian, Guiyang and xinjiang . take your pick.
    Are you going alone or with an organization?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thrash

Hey, thanks for the reply!
    I'll more than likely be going with EF, since its my first time teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Veronica Clean Scotch

Hey, thanks for the reply!
    I'll more than likely be going with EF, since its my first time teaching.

It tends to be easier having support. Make sure they provide a good induction programme before taking up your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 0958

If you decide to go to Chongqing, you can contact me. I wanna rent an apartment with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If anybody needs help finding a job over there, I can help :)

In a nice area of China too

• Advertisement

Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I ended up taking a job in Hangzhou with EF.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Officer999

Hey guys,

Hey, how are you finding it? I'm considering going to China with EF too and was wondering would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

are there any other agencies you guys would recommend / consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eitsky

I'm a Canadian who's lived in Jinan the last couple years. If you need help finding a job I can probably help you out as I think my school needs a couple new teachers. Otherwise, if you have any questions about living in China in general I'm also an open book.

Officer999 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Hey, how are you finding it? I'm considering going to China with EF too and was wondering would you recommend it?
    @Officer999
    It's a lot of work, because they have lots of admin stuff to keep parents happy. I am often working above my 42 hour working week (voluntarily) to try and keep on top of all my admin work. And the salary isn't as high as it is in other companies, for the first year, but after that it's pretty good, and increases every year.

But they make the teaching really easy, and provide a lot of support, both academically and socially to help you teach and integrate into China. They provide accommodation, and even upgraded my accommodation when my flatmate and I said we weren't happy. I would definitely recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I'm working for Aston English in Dalian at the moment. If anyone is looking for a job in China hit me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Hey,

I was wondering can people in the know help me. I am interested in teaching in China and literally don't know where to begin. I was initially attracted to the country because I was told you could work and save there but the more I look into I'm not so sure. From looking at some expat forums a teaching salary of 12,000 rmb would be only just enough to get by in the more expensive cities like Shanghai. I'm also finding hard when looking at job adverts because there are literally hundreds on each efl with varying wage rate. Anyways I'm rambling a bit. I'm very open minded and willing to ditch the Westerner lifestyle, not much of a boozer seeking somewhere I could put a few quid away and live in a decent accommodation. Is the possible in China?

Regards

Phil

Hey,

I was wondering can people in the know help me. I am interested in teaching in China and literally don't know where to begin. I was initially attracted to the country because I was told you could work and save there but the more I look into I'm not so sure. From looking at some expat forums a teaching salary of 12,000 rmb would be only just enough to get by in the more expensive cities like Shanghai. I'm also finding hard when looking at job adverts because there are literally hundreds on each efl with varying wage rate. Anyways I'm rambling a bit. I'm very open minded and willing to ditch the Westerner lifestyle, not much of a boozer seeking somewhere I could put a few quid away and live in a decent accommodation. Is the possible in China?

Regards

Phil

To put it simply, I spend between 5,000 rmb and 6,000 a month. That includes lunch, dinner out maybe 4 times a week, 1 or 2 nights a week out on the beer, utility bills and just general day to days things. I don't try to save money and that is what I spend. I know plenty of people who spend a lot less that.

Bare in mind I eat mostly Chinese food, which is cheap. Might eat western food a couple of times a week. That can be cheap or expensive, depending on the place.

I get a monthly rent allowance, so rent is covered. If it's your first time in China I would suggest you look for a job where they provide accommodation for you (a good percentage of them offer this). Just makes it a lot easier when settling in. A school that offers a rent allowance every week will probably help you find an apartment. But be prepared to pay 3 months rent and 1 month deposit up front. Some companies offer a loan to cover this, but you still have to pay that back.

The people you mentioned above who struggle to live on 12,000 rmb a month are talking sh*te. Ok, if you were in Shanghai and had to pay rent out of that then maybe it might be a little difficult to save some money. Otherwise these people must be just blowing their money on booze and expensive food.

As for looking for a job, yeah it's a bit of a minefield. A lot of the jobs online are recruitment agencies that bombard you with all manner of schools and universities. Very much hit and miss as to what the school/management/city etc is going to be like. Make sure you ask for the contact details of a current foreign teacher before you commit to any school. Any decent school will have no problem doing that for you.

Anything else you want to know feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

To put it simply, I spend between 5,000 rmb and 6,000 a month. That includes lunch, dinner out maybe 4 times a week, 1 or 2 nights a week out on the beer, utility bills and just general day to days things. I don't try to save money and that is what I spend. I know plenty of people who spend a lot less that.

Bare in mind I eat mostly Chinese food, which is cheap. Might eat western food a couple of times a week. That can be cheap or expensive, depending on the place.

I get a monthly rent allowance, so rent is covered. If it's your first time in China I would suggest you look for a job where they provide accommodation for you (a good percentage of them offer this). Just makes it a lot easier when settling in. A school that offers a rent allowance every week will probably help you find an apartment. But be prepared to pay 3 months rent and 1 month deposit up front. Some companies offer a loan to cover this, but you still have to pay that back.

The people you mentioned above who struggle to live on 12,000 rmb a month are talking sh*te. Ok, if you were in Shanghai and had to pay rent out of that then maybe it might be a little difficult to save some money. Otherwise these people must be just blowing their money on booze and expensive food.

As for looking for a job, yeah it's a bit of a minefield. A lot of the jobs online are recruitment agencies that bombard you with all manner of schools and universities. Very much hit and miss as to what the school/management/city etc is going to be like. Make sure you ask for the contact details of a current foreign teacher before you commit to any school. Any decent school will have no problem doing that for you.

Anything else you want to know feel free to ask!

Cheers for that! Can I ask do you still teach for Aston English? Could I send you a DM with some more specific questions if that's ok?

Cheers for that! Can I ask do you still teach for Aston English? Could I send you a DM with some more specific questions if that's ok?

Yeah no problem, fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cowenwatch

Eitsky wrote: »
    I'm a Canadian who's lived in Jinan the last couple years. If you need help finding a job I can probably help you out as I think my school needs a couple new teachers. Otherwise, if you have any questions about living in China in general I'm also an open book.

Hi Eitsky,

I'm hoping to leave this fair and pleasant land and head off to China within the next four to six weeks, but would like to secure a job before leaving with the best possible conditions, decent wage, free housing or rent paid, decent hours and so on. Are you still in Jinan and is your school still looking for any tefl teachers in the very near future please?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement