Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Young boy who lacerated arm on pull-out bed awarded €18,000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It just means that there is a big disincentive to start or run a business with a premises because you need exorbitant insurance to cover the outrageous payouts which are prevalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The amount of money I could now have from all the childhood injuries I received from my own stupidity.

Had an accident? Sue! Even if its your own fault, you can get money to make the pain go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It just means that there is a big disincentive to start or run a business with a premises because you need exorbitant insurance to cover the outrageous payouts which are prevalent.

The hotel offered the payout to stop it going to court. perhaps if they hadnt been negligent it would not have got this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

The amount of money I could now have from all the childhood injuries I received from my own stupidity.

Had an accident? Sue! Even if its your own fault, you can get money to make the pain go away.

that's they way i see it, i remember i hit a big rock and fell off my bike, needed stitches after a bit cut on my chin. I could have sued the council for leaving a rock in my path and might have won ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

While I would agree with your sentiment that people seem to be claiming for all sorts, without more details its hard to know in this case compensation may be appropriate. A bed shouldn't really have any exposed edges that can 'lacerate'. That said 18,000 for a cut on elbow where he was out of the hospital in 1 day, scar on an elbow which is a knobbly looking part of the body anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

These threads some come with a complementary pitchfork and torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

if they had of stuck his fingers in a door, he would have gotten more

Young boy awarded €20,000 for finger injury suffered while attending Dublin creche
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/young-boy-awarded-20000-for-finger-injury-suffered-while-attending-dublin-creche-34800444.html

Judge Groarke, hearing that Alex had made a full recovery and the wound had left a minor scar on his finger, approved the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

When I was a kid I sliced my hand open going down a metal slide in Clara Lara. Very deep cut, totally their fault as the slide had a metal panel sticking out.

I got home, my mother cleaned it and dressed it and that was the end of the matter. If it happened today we could buy a holiday home.

if they had of stuck his fingers in a door, he would have gotten more

Young boy awarded €20,000 for finger injury suffered while attending Dublin creche
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/young-boy-awarded-20000-for-finger-injury-suffered-while-attending-dublin-creche-34800444.html

Judge Groarke, hearing that Alex had made a full recovery and the wound had left a minor scar on his finger, approved the offer.

Who's they???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It depends on the case. Some payouts are dodgy. But if a hotel leaves exposed metal sticking out that can break the skin, they really deserve to pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You can just imagine the same people then bitching about insurance premium hikes, increased fares /prices etc.

Enjoy your few grand because it'll be clawed back from you tenfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Perhaps the accidents are the many everyday incidents you don't read about in the papers, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What a crock of S*it. If he hit his head on a table would he get a payout ? Was there a sign saying this bed is 100% safe ? This is why your car insurance is going up to cover this end of the game.

Who's they???

Who ever was supervising him, which wasn't the hotel manager

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another one recently a former garda made a claim for a injury that caused his early retirement during an arrest ,
    He actually retired due to inheritance coming his way ,
    but the judge even when told the garda didn't tell the force he was retiring due to health reasons was still given a decent amount by a judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There's a personal injuries table of estimated payouts I think... for an elbow injury it sounds about normal.

Here are the estimates ( which are there to keep claims reasonable, as far as I know.)
    http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/How-to-make-a-claim/Estimate-your-claim/

A 5 year old child hospitalised overnight needing stitches and ending up with a permanent scar from a bed in a hotel room... I dunno. If it was my 5 year old child with his elbow in bits, and my holiday which ended up getting diverted to hospital, I'd be fairly pissed off.

I don't think there's any question of the child deliberately lacerating his own elbow. Beds should not behave like knives.

What a crock of S*it. If he hit his head on a table would he get a payout ? Was there a sign saying this bed is 100% safe ? This is why your car insurance is going up to cover this end of the game.

Is it not reasonable to assume that hotel furniture does not have exposed metal edges?

And what this has to do with car insurance can only be explained by this being AH.

Is it not reasonable to assume that hotel furniture does not have exposed metal edges?

And what this has to do with car insurance can only be explained by this being AH.

Door hinges are exposed metal for example.

Door hinges are exposed metal for example.

if the edge of a hinge is exposed you would consider that reasonable then?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder how many hundreds of kids used the same bed in the hotel and managed to come away without a personal injury claim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

the only solution i see is to bubble wrap everything :)

Gatling wrote: »
    Wonder how many hundreds of kids used the same bed in the hotel and managed to come away without a personal injury claim

so because nobody else was injured that is ok is it?

if the edge of a hinge is exposed you would consider that reasonable then?

Yes many hinges are designed to be exposed. Just like taps, Just like Door handles. Just like metal coffee tables. Pretty sure the kid could strangle themselves with the cord of an appliance in the hotel room. He was supervised by his Guardians they are at fault.

Yes many hinges are designed to be exposed. Just like taps, Just like Door handles. Just like metal coffee tables. Pretty sure the kid could strangle themselves with the cord of an appliance in the hotel room. He was supervised by his Guardians they are at fault.

if the kid hit his elbow off a door handle the hotel would not be negligent. if the kid his his elbow off a table the hotel would not be negligent. if the kid hit his elbow off a piece of metal that should not be exposed then the hotel is negligent. can you see how that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

pwurple wrote: »
    I dunno. If it was my 5 year old child with his elbow in bits, and my holiday which ended up getting diverted to hospital, I'd be fairly pissed off.

Fairly succinct summation of the claim culture: an accident impinges on our leisure time. 18k should help assuage our agony and trauma.

Fairly succinct summation of the claim culture: an accident impinges on our leisure time. 18k should help assuage our agony and trauma.

i hope they're not too tramatised over the incident and hotels trigger them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

A five-year-old schoolboy, who lacerated his left arm on a pull-out bed in a Dublin hotel, was awarded €18,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/young-boy-who-lacerated-arm-on-pullout-bed-at-plush-dublin-hotel-awarded-18000-34800463.html

Is it me or is there no such thing as accidents these days that you can sue for anything.
    I know this article doesn't give much details, they never do, but this seems a bit ridiculous.
    are the parents wanting easy money?
    What you think?

You get 1 the defendant accepted some liability as this was the ruling of a settlement and 2 the parents don't get the money.

Settled out of court!
    Can't understand why anyone would have a problem with that apart from those who are jealous!
    cost the taxpayers nothing!

And there was obvious injury and negligence

I have loads of permanent scars from being a kid. I wager bouncing on the bed was the causation of the exposure of the mechanism. As a parent I would check the room for faults pretty odd they did not call the front desk and complain about a faulty bed.

• Advertisement

I don't think this has anything to do with a claims culture. The fact that the hotel attempted to pay a set of money to keep it out of court shows that they knew they were negligent. If a hotel caused my toddler to be injured and permanently scarred, you'd be damn sure I'd sue them too. Not because of "claim culture", but because they f*cked up and should be made pay for it.

Advertisement