Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

A vanilla ombré cake for a 90th birthday. It's ombré sponge on the inside but unfortunately didnt have my phone to hand to get a photo of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^ That looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! Went back to the 70's this afternoon and baked an Artic Roll for pudding. :)

FA4F0F33-EA66-4786-AC98-0439E303D826_zpsjdf5wmmk.jpg

Wellyd wrote: »
    A vanilla ombré cake for a 90th birthday. It's ombré sponge on the inside but unfortunately didnt have my phone to hand to get a photo of it.

Made another of these for my aunts birthday today and got a snap of the inside. Ignore the crumbs, a couple of healthy slices had been cut at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I wish I could taste what I'm seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Amazing wellyd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My nieces communion us Saturday so started desserts today with some rocky road and some white rocky road

Tomorrow will be a carrot cake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

How pretty is that white rocky road! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Made a birthday cake for my step-mom's 50th birthday. Stressed out having to transport it half way across the country but it got there in (more or less) one piece :P

Great looking stuff so far guys, keep them coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Made a birthday cake for my step-mom's 50th birthday. Stressed out having to transport it half way across the country but it got there in (more or less) one piece :P

Great looking stuff so far guys, keep them coming :D

That's unbelievable. Serious talent!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Birthday cake hearts and daisy's [IMG][/img]ozRfPZ.jpg
    yosZoB.jpg

apple sponge cake
    CG3y9D.jpg
    8nU3aK.jpg

mini vic sponge for everyone on ward when ma was in ill
    [IMG][/img]NpAvBK.jpg

I made a couple of rhubarb and strawberry crumble tarts this week.

98gais.jpg

lovely! any chance of recipe ?
    have rhubarb growing and can never get my crumble right :o

sdp wrote: »
    lovely! any chance of recipe ?
    have rhubarb growing and can never get my crumble right :o

No problem :)

I use a sweet shortcrust pastry for the base:
    8 oz of flour
    4 oz of butter
    2 oz of caster sugar
    A large egg

The crumble topping is an Odlums recipe and tastes great. It makes enough for two tarts on dinner plates or a huge crumble in a dish.
    6 oz of flour - plain or self raising, I never notice a difference
    4 oz of butter
    4 oz of soft brown sugar (dark gives a better flavour)
    4 oz of porridge oats
    I just put it all into a large bowl and rub it all together.

*I stew the rhubarb in the juice of an orange then let it cool, and when I divide it between the two tarts I add the contents of a punnet of strawberries, chopped. I bake them for about 30 minutes at 180C

Thank you so much, will give it a go at weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

I've never had, nay, never seen a rhubarb crumble with a base!
    That looks interesting. Will give it a go. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Made this a while back but will attempting it again in the next week or so :)

http://imgur.com/hpVqR7g

hpVqR7g

tampopo wrote: »
    I've never had, nay, never seen a rhubarb crumble with a base!
    That looks interesting. Will give it a go. thank you

Very good, made it this evening. A nice touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This thread is really giving me the baking bug again! I had stopped for a good while because my brother is getting married next Friday so I would only be tempting myself if I kept it up! I did bake lemon drizzle cake on Sunday - my excuse was that the lemons were about to go off if I didn't use them...:D Bought some into work and my dad devoured some as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Banana and Hazelnut bread ... was amazing should have take a pic but it didn't last very long :P

I'm having to eat it all myself though. That's the only drawback...

WP_20160615_15_10_55_Pro_zpsbe3ui74r.jpg

Just made the kinder Bueno fudge from the She Who Bakes blog. It smells so sweet and delicious but I think it's going to be very more-ish so a tiny piece should be enough to keep me satisfied! Waiting patiently til morning for it to set so fingers crossed it will be as tasty as it smells!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

No problem :)

I use a sweet shortcrust pastry for the base:
    8 oz of flour
    4 oz of butter
    2 oz of caster sugar
    A large egg

The crumble topping is an Odlums recipe and tastes great. It makes enough for two tarts on dinner plates or a huge crumble in a dish.
    6 oz of flour - plain or self raising, I never notice a difference
    4 oz of butter
    4 oz of soft brown sugar (dark gives a better flavour)
    4 oz of porridge oats
    I just put it all into a large bowl and rub it all together.

*I stew the rhubarb in the juice of an orange then let it cool, and when I divide it between the two tarts I add the contents of a punnet of strawberries, chopped. I bake them for about 30 minutes at 180C

Got a load of rhubarb from the parents garden (they were trying to get rid of it)... found this recipe, tried it out, success! Went down a treat with everyone, will be calling back up for more rhubarb!

**used shop bought pastry, dont think ive ever baked anything successfully before so wasnt willing to try making some from scratch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Inspired by this thread I'm having rhubarb crumble this evening!

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Got a load of rhubarb from the parents garden (they were trying to get rid of it)... found this recipe, tried it out, success! Went down a treat with everyone, will be calling back up for more rhubarb!

**used shop bought pastry, dont think ive ever baked anything successfully before so wasnt willing to try making some from scratch!

While there's a glut I usually cut up a load, sprinkle it with sugar and freeze it so we can have a crumble or two in the winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

bigronnie9 wrote: »

My freezer is mainly tubs of rhubarb at the moment for this very reason! I've done crumbles and simple compotes, which I love in porridge.

I might try the tart next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Made some cinnamon buns.

IMG_6273%20copy_zpslkhxhu3w.jpg

IMG_6277%20copy_zpsqirjacmu.jpg

IMG_6282%20copy_zpshuhzi30j.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Advertisement