Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time to upgrade PC

Options
  • 12-06-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi guys, so I finally got a job so I figured it's time to upgrade my PC build.
    I have had problems with the Power Supply the last two years (see my thread on that if you like) so I decided with my money to upgrade my PSU, but than I thought "what if it isn't the power supply?" and "i have money to upgrade now anyway" so here I am.

Here's my current build:

CPU -Intel Core i5-3570K
    Mobo - ASRock Z75 Pro3
    GPU - Nividia Geforce 770GTX
    RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ares Series Memory Kit
    PSU - Corsair Builder Series CXM 500W Modular
    SSD - Samsung SSD 840 120GB
    HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB
    Case - Cooltek Antiphon Black
    Optical Drive - LiteOn iHAS124-04
    Net Card - ASUS PCE-N15
    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    OS - MS Windows 8 64-Bit (SB) (Now upgraded to Win 10)

I don't really have a limited budget but I don't want to go way crazy with it. But I want my PC to have top performance again without going overkill. Run everything on ultra and such. I'll be upgrading it bit by bit as I get my paycheck every month.

So any advise guys? The main thing for now anyhow is my PSU, I need a new one, but I'll prob need more wattage if I'm upgrading, is 700W enough? I'd say it is. I presume I'll get an i7 (unless someone can think of something better that isn't way too expensive for it's own good). Last time I kinda got a budget mobo since I was starting to get stuck for cash. So I want something better now. Will I be looking at any mobo socket architecture changes?

Is upgrading RAM to 16GB really necessary? Also my GPU isn't too old. Is my gtx770 still good, or should I upgrade that too? (last thing on my list to upgrade though). I could run SLI/Crossfire I suppose but I don't want to burn electricity. A new chassis might be good, but there's nothing wrong with the one i have really unless it proves too small for my new build.
    Is my current heatsink cpu fan ok? It's never had any problems.

Sorry if I'm just rambling about ideas. I'm going to be looking up parts myself too. But I'm just a little out of practice and I just want input on the new market at the moment. So I welcome any suggestions or ideas you guys give.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The only thing that really needs changing is the GTX770.

Should get €150 for that on the market, and a 2nd hand GTX970 is a pretty huge upgrade for about €250 2nd hand or sub €300 new. R9 290's are also going for about €180-200 now 2nd hand and that's seriously an incredible bargain.

Then you have the GTX1070 which is an incredible performer but the price at the moment is ridiculous due to low stock - it's €500ish but it's supposed to be about €400.

Everything else is fine, and a decent 550w PSU would be loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Keep an eye on Adverts for a 3770K would be the only other thing, minor upgrade but perhaps worth it for more modern games. Really though as above, the machine is grand you just need a better GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

Keep an eye on Adverts for a 3770K would be the only other thing, minor upgrade but perhaps worth it for more modern games. Really though as above, the machine is grand you just need a better GPU.

Would that need a different mobo? I'm surprised my i5 is still current after this amount of time. Remember I want to run everything on ultra, that includes games coming out in the future. I know that's mostly a GPU thing which is why you're recommending i change that. But the cpu plays a part too.

Any particular models of the GTX 970 I should get?

I still need to get a new PSU as my PC keeps randomly powering off, and now it won't even turn on at all (well it will power for a second). I hope it's only the PSU, the only other thing I can think of is maybe the mobo. See the link on the first post for more info on the PSU issue if you're interested.

Any PSU recommendations?

Thanks for the input guys.

That's an Ivy Bridge CPU. There's only been 2 generational improvements - one tick one tock. Tick is just a refresh, tock is the redesign, each only really offer 15% over the last generation. Ideally when buying components a good rule of thumb is to jump a generation. So you next upgrade should be Cannon Lake which replaces the upcoming Kaby Lake CPUs. (Sky lakes 'tick update'). CPUs were already really boring, it's got worse now as it's all down to power consumption improvements for mobile. DDR4 is the only really new thing and well, meh.

Games are not particularly CPU dependant unless they are, of course, the ones that are tend to not be so framerate dependant. One can play Cities:Skylines or Warhammer:Total War at 40-60 FPS quite happily, I play even lower. However something like Battlefield 4 is very GPU dependant, but doesn't really care about CPU. There are some exceptions as always; poorly optimised games like Fallout 4 or if you're looking for very high frame rates 150FPS+ in 1080p to drive one of these 144hz monitors.

The i5 is fine however if you let a lot of crap start to build up on the PC running in the background an i7 is preferable as is (IMHO) 16GB RAM. It's preferable anyway by way of future proofing as the extra threads may be taken advantage of a bit more in DX12 games. Certainly with the advent of DX12 I'd be holding off upgrading a CPU of that generation in favour of seeing what happens with upcoming architectures like Zen.

On the 970 - any one will do but I'd avoid the blower type ones - one fan.

On PSU - I'd be surprised if that's the problem. You've stripped down the system and built it just on the motherboard box to eliminate a short? Have you tried using just one stick of RAM? Another decent 500W would be my suggestion power requirements always reduce with new generations of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Would that need a different mobo? I'm surprised my i5 is still current after this amount of time. Remember I want to run everything on ultra, that includes games coming out in the future. I know that's mostly a GPU thing which is why you're recommending i change that. But the cpu plays a part too.

Any particular models of the GTX 970 I should get?

I still need to get a new PSU as my PC keeps randomly powering off, and now it won't even turn on at all (well it will power for a second). I hope it's only the PSU, the only other thing I can think of is maybe the mobo. See the link on the first post for more info on the PSU issue if you're interested.

Any PSU recommendations?

Thanks for the input guys.
    The Tom's Hardware forumites keep very good tier lists:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

• Advertisement

Brilliant list.

Woot Tier 2!

Advertisement