Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite Character

Options
  • 03-06-2003 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

I aint gonna put this in a poll coz there are too many!!
    Also give reasons for answer!!

Mine would have to be Rincewind coz hes one of the most unlucky yet lucky people on the disc, also hes a great big chicken, and full of scarcasim, which is nice!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Foul Ole Ron for his utter incoherency, with the Patrician running a close second for his sheer omniscience and calm manner towards everything.

That said, Nanny Ogg certainly isn't without her charm...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Rincewind due for purely nostalgic reasons (I read The Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic while incapacitated with sunburn and fell in love with Discworld ever since).

Sergant Colon for making me cry laughing in The Fifth Elephant (Sugar...ROFFLE like).

The witches....meh, the potential always remained untapped for me, I think because I originally expected them to be outwardly powerful and that impression never really left me.

Detritus for his weapon and lovable character :)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

BIT OF A SILLY QUESTION REALLY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Vimes, the Patrician, DEATH, Rincewind, Sweeper ....

Don't ask me to put an order on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Vimes, Death, Death of Mice, Vetinari, Angua at some points, the Dean and the Librarian of the UU... I could go on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

There is really no way of choosing just one: I mean I love Vimes, I adore Death, I ...respect (thats a good a word as any) the Patrician, I run away from witches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

*Rasied Eyebrows in Quizical Manner*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

No seriously, after the obvious I would have to say Death and Vimes (He is teh closest thing to a tax man on the disc). To lesser extent Susan So Het and Ponder Stibbons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

DEATH (of course), Nanny Ogg and Detritus.
    Vimes is too much of a know it all if ya ask me....
    Oh and the Bursar.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I have to say death, ever since he said "to drink excessively is fun?"

An oft repeated quote of mine...

and detritus

Detritus was particularly good when it me to asking questions. He had three basic ones. They were the direct ("Did you do it?"), the persistent ("Are you sure it wasn't you what done it?") and the subtle ("It was you what done it, wasn't it?"). Although they were not the most cunning questions ever devised, Detritus' talent was to go on patiently asking them for hours on end, until he got the right answer, which was generally something like: "Yes! Yes! I did it! I did it! Now please tell me what it was I did!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

I really couldnt make my mind up about who is my favourite character.So Ill tell ya my least favourite instead.
    The Witches I think they are awful characters and dont like the books either.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

I'd have to agree with that one - they have their moments, but pretty much every other dw universe character beats them hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

God theres so many Vetinari for just been the tightest, sarmest coolest mother ****er ever.

Gaspode for been a sacrky son of a b1tch (no pun intended) but he is also one of the true heros.

Rincewind cuz he always does the right thing when it realy need despite been a total coward (the sign of a true hero)

Death for been death on so many lvs.

Also others but above all of them has to be Vimes. What a character just so much about him is so right :D

Edit

Also death of rats. He has had me in tears before with just the line "squeek?" It make no sense but it so funny somehow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Ya gotta agree with the death of rats hilarious fella.
    I think Detritus is probably my fave for some reason ive always found real stupidity strangely likable, I hate average idiocy but Detritus is the genius of idiots.Love the orangutan same sort of character as the death of rats.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

We could take all the characters mentioned so far and split them into two or three different polls. Then have the top two or three (or four) from each poll going into the next round of polls. Seeding could be based on how many times a character has been mentioned so far on this thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Patrican, whom I'd use as a role model.
    Followed by Rincewind and Vimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Vetinari, Lu-Tze and Vimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I forgot about Bloody Stupid Johnson,
    For example, they contained the ornamental trout lake, one hundred and fifty yards long, and, because of one of those trifling errors of notation that were such a distinctive feature of Bloody Stupid's designs, one inch wide. It was the home of one trout, which was quite comfortable provided it didn't try to turn around

and Leonard da'Quirm
    "Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely Device."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Oh well there are just too many charachters to choose from

But if i had to pick my top 3 would have to be

1) rincewind
    2) death
    3) cohen the barbarian

they are my 3 favourites but i can't pick the best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vetinari vs. Vimes - like a house on fire
    Leonard vs. BSJ - but there are too many new inventions

Pass on the witches (too much in yer head stuff) - wizards are better

Death & Death of Rats <-- great minor character

Detritius

Loads of others too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

/me grins looks and points at her sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Being a discworld beginner, only read the 1st 5 books so far, my favourite is Esk from Equal Rites. The Luggage is one of the best aslo, it's halarious especially when it gets stranded in the desert in Sourcery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

I am incredibly surprised at the sincere dearth of votes for granny weatherwax as simply the best discworld character,

"i did izz wizz beezzz, nobody ever did izz wizz beeezzzz"

she gets my vote through and through, simply a great a character as i have ever encountered in any book that i have ever read.

beside her i would place Jason Ogg

"and then jason started hitting the trolls with the nearest thing he could get his hands on"

granny weatherwax: "yes.. another troll"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

c'mon, nobby has to be up there!

disqualified from the human race for shoving, i believe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

vimes, DEATH and the death of rats are all great
    but my favorite is wee mad arthur (if for nothing else that nutting the bull in feet of clay)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully.

If only for his habit of leaping out at the Bursar in an effort to 'cheer him up'.

Him, and the most famous victim of a magical accident in the world:

The Librarian.

(oook.)

rincewind. come on, he's gotta be up there also... how bout soem submissions and we could do a poll?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye, rincewind used to be my fav.. but i haven't read any books with him in them recently

must read "interesting times" again soon, it used to be my favourite book and was guaranteed to make me pause for breath at least once or twice..

most of the members of the night watch have their own funneh quirkinesses.... its all good/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭therannu

It's gotta be Vimes. He's a hero for being sensible in a world gone mad. Just one example: dirty fighting. I loved him before he gave up the bottle, and, if he was real, I would admire his strength. His one-liners are classic. I also like skinny boys, smokers and cynics.

Advertisement