Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A discussion on the rules.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

alastair wrote: »
    All of which makes my infraction on this thread for pointing out the the Mairia Cahill kangaroo court was absolutely ambiguous in terms of whether they were SF or IRA, and therefore SF/IRA fits best, all the more baffling.

The warning is because it's pretty clearly a poke at specific other posters - and a lot of the discussion has been about exactly such distinctions.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The warning is because it's pretty clearly a poke at specific other posters - and a lot of the discussion has been about exactly such distinctions.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Well, it wasn't tbh. It's just that this particular ambiguity - the composition of the kangaroo court, is the most current/definitive instance of why the term SF/IRA moniker is sometimes the most appropriate one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Well, it wasn't tbh. It's just that this particular ambiguity - the composition of the kangaroo court, is the most current/definitive instance of why the term SF/IRA moniker is sometimes the most appropriate one.

You need to have proof that there was a 'kangaroo court' at the time to be accurate here. We do have proof (from Maria Cahill herself) that SF was not solely a party that was associated with the IRA at the time and that it had high ranking active members who 'where always against violence for politcal ends.' So whatever else you claim for your moniker, 'accurate' isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

And had your post not contained a definite jibe at other posters, that would stand as a good argument. But the yellow card is for - as discussed on this thread - pointing the reference at other forum posters.
    Happyman42 wrote:
    You need to have proof that there was a 'kangaroo court' at the time to be accurate here. We do have proof (from Maria Cahill herself) that SF was not solely a party that was associated with the IRA at the time and that it had high ranking active members who 'where always against violence for politcal ends.' So whatever else you claim for your moniker, 'accurate' isn't one of them.

No....just, no. Drop it. This thread isn't about the details of the Mairia Cahill case, and the claim that SF contained "high ranking active members who 'were always against violence for political ends'" does not serve to separate them from the IRA, partly because it carries the very clear implication that it also contained 'high ranking active members' who weren't against violence for political ends.

Anyway, that's really enough chewing the bones of this discussion. "SF/IRA" is not a term we're going to penalise the use of in any blanket way.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

And had your post not contained a definite jibe at other posters, that would stand as a good argument. But the yellow card is for - as discussed on this thread - pointing the reference at other forum posters.

No....just, no. Drop it. This thread isn't about the details of the Mairia Cahill case, and the claim that SF contained "high ranking active members who 'were always against violence for political ends'" does not serve to separate them from the IRA, partly because it carries the very clear implication that it also contained 'high ranking active members' who weren't against violence for political ends.

Anyway, that's really enough chewing the bones of this discussion. "SF/IRA" is not a term we're going to penalise the use of in any blanket way.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

I know you are not going to penalise it, because you personally choose not to, you penalised somebody the other day for discussing a mod decision on thread but chose to ignore the poster doing it here.
    Some kind of evident fairness and a level playing field would be nice to see, we all put our time into this site, after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What is the nature of this 'definite jibe', and where did you believe the post was directed at any specific forum member? There's nothing to suggest either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I know you are not going to penalise it, because you personally choose not to, you penalised somebody the other day for discussing a mod decision on thread but chose to ignore the poster doing it here.
    Some kind of evident fairness and a level playing field would be nice to see, we all put our time into this site, after all.

Errrr, this is a discussion of the rules thread, so general discussion on why cards or bans are given will come up! (Within reason obviously, there's an appeal forum for the details and minutiae)

Seriously, are you purposely just seeing things in b&w? Nearly every mod decision involves looking at things in context, we're not perfect and do get it wrong now and again, but there will always be a reason for a mod action.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Errrr, this is a discussion of the rules thread, so general discussion on why cards or bans are given will come up! (Within reason obviously, there's an appeal forum for the details and minutiae)

I don't see this thread excluded in the charter stipulation that forbids questioning a mod decision...you might amend it, just to be clear.

I don't see this thread excluded in the charter stipulation that forbids questioning a mod decision...you might amend it, just to be clear.
    The moderators will not discuss their moderating in the Politics threads. If you wish to discuss moderation, there is one specific thread to do so here. This is the only thread in this forum where moderation may be discussed. If you wish to discuss an issue with a moderator privately or directly, either PM the moderators, or take it to the appropriate forum

Is that and the actual name of the stickied thread not enough for you?

As I said before, we aren't here to babysit posters either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

K-9 Called my posts "drivel" this morning on another thread.

The poster I was responding to,has been using provocative inferences,and jibes,not only about other individuals,but re the subject matter.Insulting and derogatory language,for a long time.

?

• Advertisement

Is that and the actual name of the stickied thread not enough for you?

As I said before, we aren't here to babysit posters either.

I have always understood there was a process to be followed if you get a ban or infraction. Discussing it on the thread you where infracted/banned on, I thought was a no-no. Obviously I was wrong.

gladrags wrote: »
    K-9 Called my posts "drivel" this morning on another thread.

The poster I was responding to,has been using provocative inferences,and jibes,not only about other individuals,but re the subject matter.Insulting and derogatory language,for a long time.

?

I don't know, maybe you think the posts I quoted from you and the other poster were fine? Really, "he started it" and "he said, then she said" isn't an excuse to fire back in the same manner, Scofflaw put it well yesterday:
    Just because we allow some incivility does not mean we encourage it, and if someone invariably takes anything they consider to be uncivil and uninfracted being said in the direction of them or their preferred political party as license to immediately respond in kind, that person is a problem that needs mod attention.

We can't catch everything which is why reported posts are a big help, nothing was reported in that thread for over a week. Feel free to report any posts that you think crosses a line.

I have always understood there was a process to be followed if you get a ban or infraction. Discussing it on the thread you where infracted/banned on, I thought was a no-no.

Scofflaw is best responding to that then as he dealt with it, I'm lost with the point you are trying to make anyway!

I don't know, maybe you think the posts I quoted from you and the other poster were fine? Really, "he started it" and "he said, then she said" isn't an excuse to fire back in the same manner, Scofflaw put it well yesterday:

We can't catch everything which is why reported posts are a big help, nothing was reported in that thread for over a week. Feel free to report any posts that you think crosses a line.

Scofflaw is best responding to that then as he dealt with it, I'm lost with the point you are trying to make anyway!

While I understand the difficulty with moderating so many posts, I do not aspire to the he or she started it rhetoric.

Overall I responded in a dignified way, in spite of consistent provocation, from this particular poster. I tried to get back to the topic, on several occasions, and challenge this poster with what I believe were very reasonable arguments.

There are remarks in this thread, that are far beyond the "he said, she said",which, particularly regarding the living relatives of the 1916 signatories, appear to be OK by you, to me they are unacceptable, for obvious reasons

Jumping in with words like "drivel", does not exactly discourage others to act in a dignified way.

Does it?

We will then have a scenario of "well if the moderator can use derogatory language, so can I".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

If a post is drivel ( nonsense) isn't it preferable for a mod to point that out?

If a post is drivel ( nonsense) isn't it preferable for a mod to point that out?

Not if derogatory and inflamed comments, that are clearly evident,and are the real cause of abuse and lack of standards,go unnoticed.

That's like saying that a mod shouldn't be able to deal with racist posts if they didn't equally deal with all trolling posts - maybe they'll get around to it, maybe the post wasn't reported, maybe they have different views than you, maybe different priorities on what to remove. I could keep going.

I got a yellow card yesterday, but you don't see me going to point out the posts that are as bad if not worse. Deal with it and move on, it's only a silly website

That's like saying that a mod shouldn't be able to deal with racist posts if they didn't equally deal with all trolling posts - maybe they'll get around to it, maybe the post wasn't reported, maybe they have different views than you, maybe different priorities on what to remove. I could keep going.

I got a yellow card yesterday, but you don't see me going to point out the posts that are as bad if not worse. Deal with it and move on, it's only a silly website

No thanks.

gladrags wrote: »
    While I understand the difficulty with moderating so many posts, I do not aspire to the he or she started it rhetoric.

Overall I responded in a dignified way, in spite of consistent provocation, from this particular poster. I tried to get back to the topic, on several occasions, and challenge this poster with what I believe were very reasonable arguments.

There are remarks in this thread, that are far beyond the "he said, she said",which, particularly regarding the living relatives of the 1916 signatories, appear to be OK by you, to me they are unacceptable, for obvious reasons

Jumping in with words like "drivel", does not exactly discourage others to act in a dignified way.

Does it?

We will then have a scenario of "well if the moderator can use derogatory language, so can I".

Ok, apologies then. Really, if you'd reported some posts we could have had a look at the thread and maybe nipped it in the bud earlier.

I accept you did try and keep it civil and on topic, but you did "rise to the bait" in the end. I quoted a few of your posts in the warning and there may well have been more I could have highlighted.

Tbh I thought I was soft enough, but you don't seem to see any problem at all, so there you are.

On thread warnings and yellows (which don't matter too much) seem to take up as much time as reds or bans!

Ok, apologies then. Really, if you'd reported some posts we could have had a look at the thread and maybe nipped it in the bud earlier.

I accept you did try and keep it civil and on topic, but you did "rise to the bait" in the end. I quoted a few of your posts in the warning and there may well have been more I could have highlighted.

Tbh I thought I was soft enough, but you don't seem to see any problem at all, so there you are.

OK,I see your point.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92974011&postcount=1

I see that After Hours have had to introduce a ban on misogynist posts in recent times.

Should a similar ban be issued here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92974011&postcount=1

I see that After Hours have had to introduce a ban on misogynist posts in recent times.

Should a similar ban be issued here?

Is misogyny an issue in this forum? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Is misogyny an issue in this forum? :confused:

Blame the rape victim is. Taken as misogyny everywhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Godge wrote: »
    Blame the rape victim is. Taken as misogyny everywhere else.
    Which a particular brand of online goldencirclebot has taken to mean "saying anything about a rape victim is blaming her for being raped" because they either are ignorant of or refuse to accept the definition of "blame the victim" that has been used ubiquitously for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Can we ban any variation of (whatever )bot. Lazy and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Can we just ban anything that might irritate or bother people?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sand wrote: »
    Can we just ban anything that might irritate or bother people?

Sure, let's just close the forum.

I was lumping you in with the shinnerbots. Apologies if that wasn't clear.
    I guess now a mod has taken to calling people "shinnerbots" directly, ___bot is off the banned list completely, yes?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I guess now a mod has taken to calling people "shinnerbots" directly, ___bot is off the banned list completely, yes?
    Firstly, I'm not a mod here and you know that.
    Secondly, was it ever on the list? There was much discussion, but I was never aware of it being banned. If it is on the list of banned words I apologise and will remove it.

BTW: Maybe you should wait for them to deal with your reported posts before airing your complaints in public.

• Advertisement

Firstly, I'm not a mod here and you know that.
    FreudianSlippers

No, not a mod at boards, oh no.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement