Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Special Topic?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I did mine on the German navy's evacuation of civilians from Danzig and the other cities in that area prior to the Soviet army arriving.Got the idea from a passage in Beevor's Stalingrad book.They managed to rescue around 2-3million people.Ended up getting an A :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I did mine on the German navy's evacuation of civilians from Danzig and the other cities in that area prior to the Soviet army arriving.Got the idea from a passage in Beevor's Stalingrad book.They managed to rescue around 2-3million people.Ended up getting an A :)

That's actually an interesting topic and sadly totally overlooked in most history books. the risks and sacrifices the kriegsmarine made to carry out their duty was astounding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

At the moment it seems like my options are: Ludwig II, Joseph Mengele, Leni Reifenstahl or the Hapsburg dynasty.
    I have no idea what to pick.
    Is there anywhere online you can see a completed example?
    I did mine on Joseph Mengele "The Angel of Death". It was something that interested me hugely, Hitler's obsessive hatered of Jews and how it affected the Germans in the interwar years has always interested me and I did something on this for my undergrad thesis too. There are loads of books and articles out there on it and this can actually be a problem when writing something the size of a special topic. The more info you have the harder it can be to get it down to the size of a special topic. PM me if you want some additional help on this if you opt for Mengele. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wrote mine about Oskar Schindler (did it in 2005), and it turned out quite good! I kinda messed it up a bit during the exam, despite having tried so f*cking hard to memorize it, but I was still quite proud of the idea and the essay :)

For those of you who don't know, Schindler is the main character in the movie Schindler's List. It's based on his actions during the Holocaust, where he hired I think a thousand or so Jews to work in his factory, thereby saving their lives.

Interesting story, great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I did mine on the secret talks that went on between the Irish and British governments in 1940 to return the north to us in exchange for our involvement in the war. Got 79/80 on that question :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Doing mine on Robert Halpins role in the TranaAtlantic Cable Laying of 1865-1866! I hope to do quite well in it as its just about finished now, 5 months in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I thought the Special Topic was a new aspect to the course, only first started last year?

And is it true you can do it on anything historical? Not just wars and battles and whatever. I heard you can do it on the history of a band or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Peacheh wrote:
    I did the Sack of Balbriggan.

The Tans should have got medals!! :D

Only jokin' Pet!!!

My neighbours son is doing the 1913 Lockout. It's lucky for him I live next door!!

I thought the Special Topic was a new aspect to the course, only first started last year?

And is it true you can do it on anything historical? Not just wars and battles and whatever. I heard you can do it on the history of a band or something.

Eh....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mushy wrote:
    Doing mine on Robert Halpins role in the TranaAtlantic Cable Laying of 1865-1866! I hope to do quite well in it as its just about finished now, 5 months in advance

Much though I strongly favour military topics, I applaud you on your choice on this one.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ohyeah

Can't rem what I did mine on!!. I am defo getting old :mad:

but I was reading a few weeks ago that a new film about James Connolly is out soon enough, so it might be worth the while of a LC student doing something on an aspect of Connolly's life. Have just read a couple of new books about the guy, and he was involved in many many many small party's and unions in the US/UK and here, that have not been studied and written about in any great detail. Might be worth a look.

PS So so so glad that I never have to do the L C again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I did Rommell and the Afrika Corps in the Battle of El Alamein. Really interesting topic because I used sources from both sides of the battle, and learned a great deal about how tank warfare had changed since the start of the 20th centuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I did mine on the RIC, it was actually quite and interesting topic.

Right now I'm supposed to be writing a 5000 word essay for the 3rd of Fu|cking January! Hence the procrastinating on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I did mine last year on the closuing of the Ford Motor Company factory in Cork City.

It was difficult to find good sources but to be honest it was an enjoyable topic to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

D&#243 wrote: »
    I did my Leaving in 1987, and I did the Blueshirts for my special topic.
    Is Irish History not fashionable anymore?;)

Did my leaving in 1998 did my research topic on 'T.M. Healy, the strengths and weaknesses of his tenure as governor general of the Irish Free State 1922-28' He was my great grand uncle and had loads of primary source info. Then became a history teacher! Originally wanted to do Edward VIII and the implication of the abdication crisis for British Foreign Policy but wasn't left (sulks!!)

GreenHell wrote:
    I did Rommell and the Afrika Corps in the Battle of El Alamein. Really interesting topic because I used sources from both sides of the battle, and learned a great deal about how tank warfare had changed since the start of the 20th centuary.

Funny, right now I am doing a piece on the German Spring offensives of 1918, in which they could muster 10 tanks to compete with 800 on the allied side. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Degree is it HavoK?

Ha, not for a few years...just one of my on the side studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I did the bombing of the north strand.

I'm working on an essay about the 1832 Cholera outbreak. Its for a module on respectability and social control, so I'm looking at how the different classes react, who was worst hit, religions involvement, the role of moderation or cleanliness, etc. Its actually quite interesting. Going to the national archives and library tomorrow. Wish I had more time between the deadline and the start of my exams though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The guy wrote:
    I did the bombing of the north strand.

And to think they blamed the Germans!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm in 5th year and I'm thinking of doing "Operation Peace for Galilee" 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon.

Didn't think the course went that far, have they changed it recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It goes to 1990 these days :)

Jaysus I feel old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

I took the causes and outbreak of the First World War...ditched it cos it was getting far too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

How far does the course go back?

Advertisement