Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats a good Diet

Options
  • 06-04-2003 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

This is my planned diet to loose weight

Morning

Bowl of Cornflakes

Dinner

Beans on Toast

Evening

salad

Has anyone got and idea on a good diet to loose some pounds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Does not sound like there is enough protien in there..

How about a meal replacement diet like Slimfast or others? I just started that sort of.. not to loose weight so much.. i dont have a lot to loose and its exercise more so that will slim my tum down a little. No im doing it for health reasons as part of an elemental diet to help ease IBS or in my case Ulcerative Colitis (nasty).

Eventually i will probably make my own stuff up and not use slimfast or the boots one i got when i was first diagnosed. Anyway Im not sure about how good it is for loosing weight but after a few days im fine on it.. so try it.. the shakes are actually very nice.. strawberry anyway as thats all i tried. The boots hot chocolate one is ok but not lovely. Im not sure of their scientific side, if they are healthy enough to go on... but they seem to be packed full of nutrients.

Ill see how it goes anyway :D

Beans on toast? Come on... be serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dumb larry

Originally posted by tech
    This is my planned diet to loose weight

Morning

Bowl of Cornflakes

Dinner

Beans on Toast

Evening

salad

Has anyone got and idea on a good diet to loose some pounds

That's starving yourself! You don't have to do that to lose weight!
    I've read a bit about this and adjusted my diet according to what I've read, with great results. There are a few tricks I learned:

1. Refrain from eating junk-food (as in bars, soft-drinks, anything loaded with sugar). Cut down gradually and you'll go off it eventually. Soft drinks are really nasty, try to stop drinking them. Peanuts/yoghurt/popcorn make good snacks.

2. If you eat something sugary with a meal, your body will convert what you eat to fat, If you have to eat sugary things, keep them for between meals. The science on this is clearly explained here:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/sugar.html

3. Fruit has sugar in it. So don't drink orange juice with your breakfast. Eat LOTS of fruit (it IS good for you), but eat it between meals. Fruit is great to eat at as a night-time snack because it's digested and metabolized quickly.

4. Don't eat junky breakfast cereals. Go with muesli (A good brand like kelko or lifeforce) or Porridge. Or both. Kelloggs stuff tends to have a lot of sugar (even cornflakes) and is generally nutritionally worthless. Try to get muesli with no-added-sugar/no salt.

The reason for eating porridge or muesli in the morning is because it takes a while to digest and fills you up for longer. It's also a lot better for you. When you eat porridge at first, it seems very filling. If you think it tastes bland, add a little honey to make it taste a lot nicer :)

5. Don't eat big meals shortly before you sleep as you won't metabolize 'em properly. Eating meals before going to bed is one way to put on weight fast. AFAIK, sumo wrestlers do it :) Eat fruit at night if you're hungry. Don't eat right before you sleep.

6. Cut down your intake of simple carbs. If you eat loads of toast and bread, cut it down gradually. Don't eat huge bread-rolls, go with a sandwich instead, with brown bread. Eat high-protein foods.. .like fish, chicken, turkey... and uh... eat lots of vegetables! Stay away from fast-food and "greasy" crap like chips. Eat two spuds with yer dinner instead of ten, don't eat massive basins of pasta.

7. Exercise regularly.

That stuff is the general jist of what I got from reading lots of healthy-eating and fitness web-pages. I'm no dietician and I don't have the time or patience to sit around making calculations about what I eat. Most of the points I listed above are simple common sense I think. Hope that helps.

Advertisement