Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water

Options
  • 01-04-2003 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Drinking water with an added squash/mix is fine, still good for you and still get the benefits.

The only down side is if you are adding masses of a mix and perhaps getting excess sugar, sweetner and or other stuff they put in the mixes.

If our bodies can separate alcohol from liquid, they can deal with Robinsons summer fruits merc.

JAK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Another question re: water

I know drinking water's good for ya, but i think i heard somewhere too much can actually cause damage? how much is too much?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

I know its long but you did ask....

"Under certain conditions, a gradual but significant decrease in sodium concentrations can occur in the body causing an Electrolyte imbalance. Sodium is an electrolyte. Sweating, especially from several hours or days of exertion (as in a marathon), can lead to a significant depletion of sodium. Significant sodium loss can also occur with vomiting or diarrhea. When coupled with low or inadequate sodium intake in the diet, these conditions can rapidly produce a sodium deficit. The decrease in sodium concentration in body fluids lowers fluid osmotic pressure and results in an increase in intracellular water concentration. This is known as overhydration. Explore: The Importance of Fluids.

Overhydration is disruptive to nerve cell function and can produce symptoms of lightheadedness or mild vertigo. Severe overhydration is known as water intoxication. It produces neurological symptoms ranging from disoriented behavior to convulsions, coma, and death. This increase in intracellular water concentration can also result in a decrease in hydrostatic pressure. As the pressure drops, water moves out of the plasma, causing a loss of blood volume in the body and this can lead to circulatory shock.

Overhydration and water intoxication can be avoided with careful monitoring of fluid intake when sweating heavily or when ill with diarrhea or vomiting. Under these conditions, drinking plain water will not restore sodium loss nor will it adequately rehydrate the body. Simply adding a little bit of salt to water, to fruit juice, or vegetable juice can help the body to restore the lost sodium. Sport drinks contain sodium to help athletes to quickly restore sodium loss. Additionally, when vomiting and diarrhea are present, sport drinks can help to restore sodium and other electrolytes that are quickly lost during these types of illnesses"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The New Scientist shows a study done by some laydee about water over soft drinks. She proved that you hydrate your body equally well if drinking water or any other drink such as tea/coke/whatever else you drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I shall quote:
    You don't have to drink eight glasses of plain water a day to keep hydrated. Any drink, from juice to coffee, will do the job.

Elite athletes asked nutritionist Ann Grandjean at the University of Nebraska Medical Centre in Omaha whether they could hydrate on sealed drinks such as Coke instead of local water, which is sometimes not suitable for drinking. to find out, she put 27 young men on a strictly moderated diet for three days. One group drank plain water for half their beverage intake. The other had only juice, coffee and cola. There was no difference in hydration levels between the two.
    (Journal of the American College of Nutrition vol 22m p165)

But quite how they determine hydration levels is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

This always freaked me out..

By the time you are thirsty, it's too late, your body is already dehydrated.

glug glug glug

Advertisement