Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news for ISDN peeps

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I fail to see why you cannot remove the NT1 and put an RJ11 box in its place.

Of course....Eircom want to collect it and want your to pay tem to do so . They lost a load to lightning recently.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

I am pretty sure I could do the job of hooking up the local end by myself once they sort out the exchange end. Anyone know what is involved in the 'self-install' option?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Sticky
    Anyone know what is involved in the 'self-install' option?

AFAIK, you just plug a splitter into the phone jack and connect up the ADSL modem to your machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

....after they take out the ISDN box and put the phone jack (RJ11 socket) in its place.

its easy to sdo yourself but Eircom won't admit it and want to get their ISDN Network Termination Unit (be it an NT1 or a Highspeed Box) back for re-use.

Ultimately there is a horrible financial implication in the whole business for Eircom, namely that Josephine Punter could easily self install ISDN.

They make easy money from ISDN installations (plugging in an NT1 instead of an RJ11 socket when they could easily run it OUT of the RJ11 socket.....most ISDN installs being an upgrade of an existing analogue line with RJ11 in situ.

The Eircom connection charge is €120 including VAT for 1 hours work including travel.....in a typical case.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

AFAIK there is a hefty voltage coming down that ISDN line (more than an analogue line).
    Probably why they don't want people cutting those wires.
    I'm sure most technically-able folks on the boards would be able to do this without frying themselves or shorting the line but can you imagine some of the muppets out there with a scissors and screwdriver ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by shabbyroad but can you imagine some of the muppets out there with a scissors and screwdriver ? [/B]

Damn I didnt thing anyone saw me doing it :D

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Could everyone 'failing' line tests have anything to do with Eircom not wanting too many ppl using ADSL and more continuing (or having no other option than to use dialup). To be it seems like it their last block against everyone moving straight off it.

I live in Raheny and also failed the line test and was suggested insted to get ISDN...........typical.

Any comments on this?

A.M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I think yur right. I think its costs them more to run the adsl or something and they can make more money off the isdn. They still send out leaflets to my dad about eircom hi speed (their isdn) but never seem to advertise i-stream. When u think about it isdn is an inferior product that will probably cost u more per month aswel and they're recommending it to you. In this day and age anything other than Broadband is old hat when are they gonna cop this? They go on about isdn as if its the 'latest thing' to happen to the internet. Makes ya sick doesn't it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well they can't really send out leaflets with a very high amount of people applying failing now can they? They'd get done for false adverstising or at least in joe soaps head they would.

Not defending them tho cos people shouldnt be failing!

Advertisement