Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie qs.. ;)

Options
  • 11-03-2003 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Hiyas, I've started swimming again to try and tone up my computer nerd physique. :) I used to swim a lot when I was younger, both in competitions and training as a lifeguard so I'm pretty good.

I plan to go a few times a week after work and I have a few questions..

1. The place I'm going has a steam room / sauna thing. What's this good for? Actually, what's the difference between a steam room and a sauna anyway? Are they the same thing?

2. Stretching - should I do some stretching exercises before or after I swim? I'm way out of shape but after doing 40 lengths I don't feel sore.

3. Assuming I keep at it and eat sensibly, what can I expect from swimming a few times a week - just to lose weight or would I build muscle from it? It would be a nice bonus if so, I'm feel pretty daunted by this whole gym / machines / weights stuff.

4. My goal at the moment is to comfortably do 40 lengths (1000m) per session and then relax/splash about for whatever time is left, but should I be pushing myself to go faster than is comfortable "no pain no gain" etc?

Cheers,
    Teeth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Sauna is dry heat so to speak, steam rooms have more moisture floating about in them hence the steam.

They aren't really good for much other than they feel good, can relax, good for skin and can help with muscle relaxation.

Stretching is always advised, but for swimming I'd say you could get away with it. You are unlikely to strain a muscle with light swimming, but stretching before and after the session will add its own benefits.

You'll likely tone up and lose a bit of fat. Swimming does nail calories, but (and this is just a perception that makes little sense) I know some very fat people who are excellent swimmers and show great endurance but still look quite fat. You are not going to develop in the same way a bodybuilder type would though due to the nature of the training.

As long as you push yourself within reason and don't get complacent you will gain. Try having a light medium and hard session in your week. It will make it easier on discipline early on.

JAK.

Advertisement