Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does IT Carlow need?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

We have nice computers in C303. I wish more computers had CD writers. It's impossible bring home any sort of big project with out getting a zip drive for home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Yes I wonder when will the computer department get its next budjet injection so we can all get our zip drives at home paid for us, ala the P4's the business...oh no, its coming again...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

...ok.

Yes, and when do the programming students get access to this haven for the computer literate that is Linux 303?

When, I ask you, WHEN!!!!1111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You don't, its the networking lab... Access is generally restricted to those that have project work and the like to do there... Mostly CSM and CNW people.

Lab 305 has the same machines though, some of them have zip drives and CDRW's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

The engineering department is the most forgotten about when it comes to computers. I went mad at a lecturer one day cos the length of time ti was taking to load a big 3D drawing (5 mins!) and he decided to ask the powers that be for the old P3s they replced in A303. They said they might give us one!ONE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

wheres A303??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

305 was ecently fitted out and all machines have cd-writers but its a networking lab

Originally posted by Stephen
    You don't, its the networking lab... Access is generally restricted to those that have project work and the like to do there... Mostly CSM and CNW people.

Lab 305 has the same machines though, some of them have zip drives and CDRW's.

You think programming students dont have projects to hand up?

Oh, how nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

bar and stuff was ment to happen but, i'm not sure now. as far as i know, the college has to cut 900,000yoyos from the budget!

i don't think some child minding facilities would go astray(i've had a few scares).
    the government does have funding for projects like that, but only can be used in existing space, which the IT doesn't have. so we have to build to get anything.

maybe a free taxi service down to Scraggs. and some sort of school kid killing device!

there isn't an A303, its C303 and its for networking students to piss about on cause its separate to the network. and the P4's are not for business students. they're once again and rightly so for us networking students.

Which is NICE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Originally posted by Ivan
    You think programming students dont have projects to hand up?

Oh, how nice...

CSM have year long projects so we need our own harddrives and we have that up here in 303/305. Thats the only reason we get it.

Its great, you dont know what your missing!
    Any software,hardware we want we get.

Ah the joy, all have to do now is get started on the year long project thingy. now what was that about again??????????

gogo

thats the down fall, you kinda have a **** load of work to do. i actually failed my 2nd project, but thank god for compensation.
    303 only got done up this year, so it sucked for us last year.

What do you mean by compensation headcase??
    If we fail, we fail the year we have to repeat the year, our projects are double weighted meaning they are worth 200%, so generally if we fail them it's not even worth sitting the exams.

anybody here done csm3 projects before, if so how ye get on?

gogo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭lulu

Originally posted by gogo
    year long projects

The whole idea of year long projects seems to have escaped you gogo seen as your just starting yours lol

lulu :D

i was given an assignment about a month ago!
    Has to be handed up tomorrow! I have yet to start! oops!

can beat you shayk1

have to hand up an assignment on middleware? which was due up sometime last week i think, along with about 2 networking reports that was due about 2 months ago,

and lets not forget about the exam that i have in the morning, now what was that subject called again :confused:

me thinks i should just give up now while i have some pride left.

lulu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

Originally posted by lulu
    The whole idea of year long projects seems to have escaped you gogo seen as your just starting yours lol

lulu :D

Well most of us in 2nd year of Cnw did most of the project on the standalone in our house cause the lab was only finished 6 weeks ago so gogo has a bit of an excuse!

And Ciaran you only wanna use those computers for games some computer student actually have work. And afaik they haven't given the business students any computers bar that of the LRC and the Architure labs.

Jezus theres an Arcitecture Lab??
    Soon much stuff goes on it this college that i know nothing about!
    I should probably pull my head out of my ass sometime very soon!

Doubt that'll happen any time soon! Admit it, you enjoy "the abyss" too much!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Yes I wonder when will the computer department get its next budjet injection so we can all get our zip drives at home paid for us, ala the P4's the business...oh no, its coming again...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

...ok.

Yes, and when do the programming students get access to this haven for the computer literate that is Linux 303?

When, I ask you, WHEN!!!!1111
    A) you want access to the machines so you can play games

B) it's restricted access to the students that *actually* do some work

C) we have access because our whole project has to be done in there this year.

Looks like there shall be sh1t in here soon.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by lulu

have to hand up an assignment on middleware? which was due up sometime last week i think, along with about 2 networking reports that was due about 2 months ago,

lulu

Dont worry bout it lu, it's for eamon cass we will get another extension on the extension we already have, probably get another extension on that to.:p

Poor eamon, he just can't say no.
    gogo

Okay it's not "A303". It's "A somethin". It's up on top of the library. But seriously brand new PCs for running Word and Excel? Oooh can't you just picture that burning out the processor?!
    "Oh no, I'm running out of virtual memory!"

Not bloody likely. Whereas in C109 that happens about every 2 goddam minutes!!!

That room is a313, and all it is used for is basic computer applications, it's fcuking ridulous(Can't spell that).

And all the bloody lecturer's that do be in there will never let you stay in there, even if they only have two in the room.

You know who you are evil glasses woman, kick me out will you.............

gogo

Ity sucks. And they won't even let us have the old ones.

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    A) you want access to the machines so you can play games

B) it's restricted access to the students that *actually* do some work

C) we have access because our whole project has to be done in there this year.

Thats such bull****. Yes it would be nice to be able to play games there, but we have lab 307 for that.

It would be nice to be able to find a place to work from time to time, the whole LRC has been known to be completely packed for hours on end.

Why do networking students have an entire lab? - Ok you need admin access fair enough.

Why would programming students have an entire lab? - In 3rd year we have an entire project to do which I can only assume would be extremely difficult if not impossible without admin access.

And I really resent the way you imply I never do any work.

Fúck that.

Btw, as far as I've been told double weighted means 120% not 200%

Originally posted by gogo
    That room is a313, and all it is used for is basic computer applications, it's fcuking ridulous(Can't spell that).

And all the bloody lecturer's that do be in there will never let you stay in there, even if they only have two in the room.

You know who you are evil glasses woman, kick me out will you.............

gogo

Uh, I think you'll find a313 is an auto cad lab.

Apparently that needs rather high processing power.

We don't have access to C303 all the time!
    We can only go in at certain times!

The computers in c303 would be abused if they were open to everybody. I am guilty of using them for boards now and then and maybe downloading the odd bit of stuff, so if i'm prone to doing it I would say everybody else is too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Btw, as far as I've been told double weighted means 120% not 200%

thats only for our team project, double weighted for our project class is 80% for the functional spec and 120% for that pain in the ass VB project we just finished...........i thought the term "double weighted" implied 200% anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Why do networking students have an entire lab? - Ok you need admin access fair enough.

Why would programming students have an entire lab? - In 3rd year we have an entire project to do which I can only assume would be extremely difficult if not impossible without admin access.
    not only do we need admin access but we need space to run networks and experimant and so on. Also looking at the work load that Ruaidhri, Steven, Mike, Shay and the rest of the lads have (and + the extra 2 projects they got on fri and today) and the fact that I have been told by 2 lecturars that that networking coruse is the hardest networking one the Ireland and one of the over all hardest in th eland too I think that we have a right

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Prob cause it is the only one:P

its not the ONLY one theres one in Waterford I think!
    Don't quote me on that though!

think its in cork. theres definitely another 1 somewhere

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ok the course in cork is Degree In Software Development For Computer Networking:P
    still different course type

Originally posted by ShayK1
    its not the ONLY one theres one in Waterford I think!
    Don't quote me on that though!

There were two others, one in Tralee IT and another in LetterKenny IT, Thats was when I was choosing for my cao in 2001.

Originally posted by Snowball
    not only do we need admin access but we need space to run networks and experimant and so on. Also looking at the work load that Ruaidhri, Steven, Mike, Shay and the rest of the lads have (and + the extra 2 projects they got on fri and today) and the fact that I have been told by 2 lecturars that that networking coruse is the hardest networking one the Ireland and one of the over all hardest in th eland too I think that we have a right

Whats this "we" business?

And I'm not doubting that networking students dont deserve access. I'm simply asking why computer programming students dont have more/better access to computers.

I cant vouch for this year, but I'm certain that our third year we will have a bigger need for accessing computers than any networking students will.

When you need it the college will give it to you ! Then you can have it! c303 isn't for games

we will be out on 6 months work experience next year so we won't need C303 ALL year but you still can't have it so HA!

i finish friday and i still don't have any work-experience

• Advertisement

finish what??

do some work shay !!1 >:P

finish my exams and so college for the year

I failed and exam and a project today. Everybody feel sorry for me.

atleast u got up for ur exam

Originally posted by Baldy
    When you need it the college will give it to you ! Then you can have it! c303 isn't for games

Why the fúck does everyone assume I want to play games there?

As I've said, I have lab 307, I have my own house. I dont need another lab, for the love of god let it go.

• Advertisement

I dont need another lab

Exactly so stop moaning about not having one!

finish my exams and so college for the year

What course are you doing headcase?

HE's doin CW046 3rd year Computer Networking Degree!
    or so i gather from his posts!

that is correct ShayK1. the course gets crappier every year

mm Yipee something to look forward to!

• Advertisement
Advertisement