Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Call - Like it or Hate it?

Options
  • 24-02-2003 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Ireland's Call, Irish Rugbys national anthem. Do you love it or hate it?

"Ireland's Call" - Love it or Hate it? 32 votes

Love it
    0% 0 votes
    No opinion
    81% 26 votes
    Hate it
    18% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I have been there in the crowd and I must admit it extreamly uplifting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish they'd drop the anthem of the republic and only use Irelands Call as its non-politcal and in truth a better tune!

Mike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I wish they'd drop the anthem of the republic and only use Irelands Call as its non-politcal and in truth a better tune!

For sure, makes the hair stand on your neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

i think its a great song however our national athnem is our national athnem and is part of who we r as a nation getting rid of the national athnem is a bad idea, i understand it can be a bit of a turn off for unionists in the north but if they want us to respect there traditions they need to respect our traditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Absolutely a fantastic uplifting tune.

Not a bad idea at all. i like your thinking. Maybe we could get Mr. Stallone in to sing (grunt) along:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Hate it. Hate it with a passion.

It's not an anthem. An anthem is something that a group of people can sing. Not this pile of Riverdance garbage with tummty tummty drum solos all over the place so that nobody knows whether the song has finished or not.

Like what happened in Rome on Saturday.

Get rid of it.

Replace it with Danny Boy, There is an Isle or else write some other decent song. Preferably not written by Ireland's Burt Bacharach this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I think our next one should be a rap with a mean guitar solo at the end. Now that would rock.

Somthing like this, get Eminem to sing it too.

We are Ireland hear us roar
    You try to play us but we soar
    After the match we get some bitch ass
    Cause the rugby we play is class
    Ain't no mother****er going to get in our way
    They learn this leason fast or they pay
    Other teams don't know what it was like growing up in the hood
    We got boys like Brian O Driscol, Denis Hickie and Keith Wood

and so on :)

I actually enjoy singing Irelands call before the games, everybody knows the words so it gets belted out by the crowd.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The FANJ
    You try to play us but we soar
    After the match we get some bitch ass
    Cause the rugby we play is class
    Ain't no mother****er going to get in our way
    They learn this leason fast or they pay
    Other teams don't know what it was like growing up in the hood
    We got boys like Brian O Driscol, Denis Hickie and Keith Wood

I like it FANJ. Give this lad a record deal:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

But yes, down with Sinne Fianna etc. Up with the new anthem, whatever it may be, and keep Irelands Call, it's brilliant. But the anthem needs rethinking worse than Seamus Brennan needs platform shoes!

I'm going to get my head kicked in now because his son goes to my school! His son is not a small person!

Originally posted by It wasn't me!
    But yes, down with Sinne Fianna etc.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm as patriotic as the next but our national anthem is dire. It doesn't have a great tune, the words don't rhyme (well they do in the English version but who ever dreamed up the word sireland to rhyme with Ireland should have been shot. Come to think of it, he probably was)

In this, we are just like the majority of English speaking countries who all have terrible national anthems.

God Save the Queen, Advance Australia Fair, God Defend New Zealand, The Star Spangled Banner - all awful musically, IMHO.

The best national anthems are the Welsh, the South African — the new one not de Stem— andthe French. The German one isn't bad though I believe they've had to change the words and the old soviet one was good too. I think the Russians demanded that they bring back the tune at least, having discarded it following the collapse of communism.

Interesting to see that the poll is throwing up vehement opinions at the time of writing. People either love it or hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by daveirl
    The rugby team existed long before the anthem was created anyway I'm all for a new anthem to replace the current one, but Ireland's Call just makes me cringe.

Just remember, its down to where the game is being played. If Ireland played an international in Belfast, in Ravenhill, the team would stand to GSTQ, and not Ámhran na bhFiann. Ireland's Call then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

The French and the Scotish are my personal favourites.

Perhaps if we all changed nationalities?

BTW I can't take full credit for the rap I did see 8 mile :p.

Originally posted by daveirl
    The Soviet Anthem, now there was a rousing anthem - http://www.skazka.no/anthems/

Wonderful!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

understand why they have it nice idea really-
    it's the one sport that the entire island of ireland plays as one and irelands call was made to represent all the players and in doing so emphasise this fact.

that said i dont like that at away matches our national anthem isn't played

and i especially dislike the intermission part of irelands call where nobody knows when to come in and re-start singing the next verse the result is apoor sounding echo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
    understand why they have it nice idea really-
    it's the one sport that the entire island of ireland plays as one and irelands call was made to represent all the players and in doing so emphasise this fact.

that said i dont like that at away matches our national anthem isn't played

and i especially dislike the intermission part of irelands call where nobody knows when to come in and re-start singing the next verse the result is apoor sounding echo

The boxing teams also have the national anthem and they represent the whole island.

I also dont like Irelands Call. If you play for your country you should regard it as an honour and be proud to sing your own national anthem. If you prefer to sing God save the queen then off with you to twickers.

Next they will want a red hand instead of the shamrock!!!!

How many nationalaities played for Italy last weekend? I bet they were proud to stand up for the Italian national anthem.

Originally posted by bucks73
    The boxing teams also have the national anthem and they represent the whole island.

I also dont like Irelands Call. If you play for your country you should regard it as an honour and be proud to sing your own national anthem. If you prefer to sing God save the queen then off with you to twickers.

Next they will want a red hand instead of the shamrock!!!!

How many nationalaities played for Italy last weekend? I bet they were proud to stand up for the Italian national anthem.

That's not the way rugby works. It is accepted by everyone, well most people, that the country plays as a whole despite the fact that most of the northerners are good Unionist boys with UK passports who would be most uncomfortable singing Amhrain na bhFiann. Ergo, come to a fair arrangement don't force it down their throats. They stand up for the anthem in Dublin and fair play to them.

I have no problem with a compromise about anthems such as we have. My objections to Ireland's Call are purely musical .

Bounty Hunter's comments about the break in the middle are spot on. What happened in Rome was an embarassment.

• Advertisement

i think the present arangement is the best. i agree with both of yous, i think we cant keep diluting our culture to suit the unionists and anyway it will take a lot more than that before they even think about joining the south. however rugby is a different sport and it is always been a game for gentlemen so i think playing both of the anthems is the best way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Do you mean playing God save the queen or Irelands Call?

i mean to play irelands call and Amhrain na bhFiann, playing god save the queen is taking the p*ss, as bad as Amhrain na bhFiann is its still our national athnem you want to listen to a good song go by a cd but for now sing along to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nelo

Amhrain na bhFainn has one major flaw other than being a crap song, it cannot be sung loud, take for example the French and Italian anthems which can be really belted out by the fans and fire the teams up, not to mention the "Flower of Scotland" which puts the ****s up me every time I've heard it in Lansdowne. Irelands Call can itself be belted out but suffers from the poxy leprechaun music that accompanies it and the large amount of tossers who go to Lansdowne road and couldn't be bothered to sing don't help much either. I wish they wouldn't bother going to the matches and give the tickets to the people who really support the team like myself so that we can help spur the team on without having to pay the touts crazy amounts of cash to do it. On that note, if anyone wants to part with a spare ticket at a decent price then please give me a call on 0876533744. "Irelands Call" isn't an amazing tune but it's all we have at the minute, anyone whose been to Celtic park knows the power that the "Fields of Athenry" can bring to the pitch but alas as the song is associated with republicanism it cannot be used officially for the team.
    Bottom line, love it or loath it, if you go to the match this weekend then please sing it. For the sake of the team you support and for the fans who would be singing it if they could get in to the match!

Originally posted by nelo
    Amhrain na bhFainn has one major flaw other than being a crap song, it cannot be sung loud, take for example the French and Italian anthems which can be really belted out by the fans and fire the teams up, not to mention the "Flower of Scotland" which puts the ****s up me every time I've heard it in Lansdowne.

That's one of the drawbacks about our situation. We can't have a real rip-roaring bloodcurdling anthem because it would be divisive in one way or another.

Like the Scottish 'Send them homewards tae think again.' Take that, you bastards!

Or the French:

'Let us march on together until our ditches flow with the blood of the impure.' Yeah. Don't mess with us, rostbifs

Or the Welsh. **** knows what it means but what a wonderful tune. You haven't lived until you'vee been to an international in Cardiff and heard that welling up all around you.

Irelands Call can itself be belted out but suffers from the poxy leprechaun music that accompanies it and the large amount of tossers who go to Lansdowne road and couldn't be bothered to sing don't help much either.

To be fair, I think these two points are related. If we had a better song, people would be more inclined to sing it. Sorry, belt it out.

On that note, if anyone wants to part with a spare ticket at a decent price then please give me a call on 0876533744.

I wish you luck with that. You'll need it. ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by nelo
    [BI wish they wouldn't bother going to the matches and give the tickets to the people who really support the team like myself so that we can help spur the team on [/B]

Tickets are only available through Rugby clubs and Rugby schools...etc

this is to ensure that people involved in rugby who are usually the reall rugby fans get to go to the matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I like the Italian anthem, especially the way it changes into a completely different song half way through. The Brazilian and Japanese ones aren't half bad either.

The French one is by far the best though.

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    I like the Italian anthem, especially the way it changes into a completely different song half way through. The Brazilian and Japanese ones aren't half bad either.

The French one is by far the best though.

Probably going way off topic but how's this for a mad bit of topical trivia.

Which country's national anthem is called 'The land of two rivers'
    and contains this gem of a line:

'Blessed be the land of the two rivers,
    A homeland of glorious determination and tolerance.' (in translation of course)

and here's another one:

Which country's national anthem contains a rarely sung verse with the line:
    'For all her faults we love her still
    Britannia rules the waves'?

One of the aforementioned is well known for its rugby; the other isn't.

actually heres another piece of usless info they were going to make a nation once again our national athenem now that would be a rousing tune

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Probably going way off topic but how's this for a mad bit of topical trivia.

Which country's national anthem is called 'The land of two rivers'
    and contains this gem of a line:

'Blessed be the land of the two rivers,
    A homeland of glorious determination and tolerance.' (in translation of course)

and here's another one:

Which country's national anthem contains a rarely sung verse with the line:
    'For all her faults we love her still
    Britannia rules the waves'?

One of the aforementioned is well known for its rugby; the other isn't.

Just for the record: The answer to the first one is Iraq.

And the second one is Australia.

Witness:

When gallant Cook from Albion sail’d,
    To trace wide oceans o’er,
    True British courage bore him on,
    Till he landed on our shore.
    Then here he raised Old England’s flag,
    The standard of the brave;
    With all her faults we love her still,
    “Britannia rules the wave!”
    In joyful strains then let us sing,
    “Advance Australia fair!”

Do be sure to point this out (with regular reminders) to any Ozzies of your acquaintance. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement